• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @Mr.K , did you ever get round to shortening those straps? I have a zippered tote incoming, and I was thinking to mod the straps myself. I've tried searching through this thread but couldn't see you coming back to this.

Yes I did shorten mine. I just removed them and sewed them down further in the bag to shorten them.

Emthigious

Reaction score
Yes I did shorten mine. I just removed them and sewed them down further in the bag to shorten them.

Ah, you didn't cut them, smart! I was thinking it would be relatively simple operation, still sounds like it. Would you happen to have pictures of the straps as they are now?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, you didn't cut them, smart! I was thinking it would be relatively simple operation, still sounds like it. Would you happen to have pictures of the straps as they are now?

I will get a few pics when I get home later today to share

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
TN SFB w/ hulk material
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a gorgeous chestnut leather strap. Definitely my favorite color evolution of Filson leather. The only bag I own that has that color (and that little stamp on the hardware also) is my early 90’s flapless small duffle. That color is very rare and tough to come by! @Tom Lebrando if I recall you purchased some of your talon bags new in the 90’s. Did the leather come very dark like it does today, or was it always lighter?

How do you like the small field bag design?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like driving to my business trips now because I can take a good assortment of Filsons: 256, small duffle, and small field bag for some day touring (maybe). The nylon garment bag has a suit, and dress shirts. Yes, I have a saved search for a filson garment bag.
Rm6gT8q.jpg
:lol: Your nylon garment bag still looks better than my Saks on Fifth freebie that I’ve been using for the last 6 months, granted I’m not flying with it so I guess that is how I pull it off. Love the Otter Green in your collection, I still have yet to own a TAN long term as of yet, even though my 1st Filson was in fact tan.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell is that your car and collection or a stock photo you found on google. I’m pretty sure that’s a white Subaru, which I recall you owning, so it might be the first one. Why so many? Are you off to your local bank (Tony Montana style) carrying this months loot from your eBay store? :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tanner Goods stuff is great quality. I have one of their wallets that I purchased off of Huckberry from their clearance section. Between that and two Gustin wallets, I'm covered for the foreseeable future.
@Fueco you’re back! Nice to have you back. Thanks for the vote of confidence on their wallets. I heard a package just arrived at my house today, too bad I won’t get home until Friday night to open it. I’m pretty sure it’s leather and holds money :lol:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, just a heads up... GORUCK has announced that they will be doing a price increase across their entire line on Sept. 1. You can read the announcement on their webpage, but you might want to go ahead and pull the trigger in the next two weeks if you are planning on buying new. If not, good deals to be had on eBay as well...
Wow really? I wouldn’t imagine the prices can go up any higher for what you’re getting, unless they are gonna throw in some free koozies or what would be even cooler, would be sternum straps and your choice of one accessory.

Thanks for the intel, I will get in high gear soon. After scouring the internet for reviews, I’m back on the fence about what to get: GR1 or GR2. I’m loving th extra organizational section of the 34L but only the GR1 has it in the color i want...go figure it’s Ranger Green ;)

kbui

Reaction score
OMG, just fyi but the GR1 is only available in Ranger Green in the 21L size, which might be too small for your frame. That size would be more of an EDC for you vs. a multi day bag.

Wow really? I wouldn’t imagine the prices can go up any higher for what you’re getting, unless they are gonna throw in some free koozies or what would be even cooler, would be sternum straps and your choice of one accessory.

Thanks for the intel, I will get in high gear soon. After scouring the internet for reviews, I’m back on the fence about what to get: GR1 or GR2. I’m loving th extra organizational section of the 34L but only the GR1 has it in the color i want...go figure it’s Ranger Green ;)

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 6.23.57 AM.png

kbui

Reaction score
I have multiple Goruck packs...26L GR1 and a Goruck Echo. The Echo is my EDC/daypack...holds my laptop (13" MacBook Pro) plus all work materials for the day (or a 20lb weight plus 3L water bladder). The 26L GR1 is my "up to 4 day work carry-on" holding all of the Echo stuff plus a few days of non-dress clothes...things that can be easily washed in a sink basin. For your reference, I am 5'7" and 140lbs and my job was as a photojournalist.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned is that these packs are very hot against your back. If you are working in warm temperatures and these stay on your back for a period of time, you will have a very wet shirt. They lay completely flat and have no structure to lift them away from your back, thus little to no breathing.

For leisure travel, I use my Echo as my personal bag and my Filson zippered tote as my carry-on...but obviously my clothing is significantly different in size. All shoes are kept outside of the bags using a carabiner.

Last edited:

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
Just a gorgeous chestnut leather strap. Definitely my favorite color evolution of Filson leather. The only bag I own that has that color (and that little stamp on the hardware also) is my early 90’s flapless small duffle. That color is very rare and tough to come by! @Tom Lebrando if I recall you purchased some of your talon bags new in the 90’s. Did the leather come very dark like it does today, or was it always lighter?

How do you like the small field bag design?

Hey TinMan,

Yeah that chestnut color is really nice. It's funny that it seems to actually darken since I came out to east coast for biz trip. Must be the humidity. I didn't get the SFB new but actually was really attracted to leather when I found it on ebay ~ 10 years ago. Wasn't really looking for a SFB at time but was intrigued anyway. I have waxed the bag and it has taken on almost a shell like quality after curing, like my 240. Would love to see the flapless small duffle. I have one unused I posted pics of awhile ago. I like the SFB design, typical efficient Filson. I am a big guy so even regular Filson stuff almost looks like fanny pack so I don't really care that it almost doesn't look like it is there when I wear it (crossbody resting on lower back). Great for my style of day hiking.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, just fyi but the GR1 is only available in Ranger Green in the 21L size, which might be too small for your frame. That size would be more of an EDC for you vs. a multi day bag.

View attachment 1022286

Thanks I noticed that shortly after posting. Why do they have offerings with so many colors but limit you when it comes to size? I've seen GR1 26L and GR2 34L in Ranger Green too. Is that just a restocking issue? It seems like after all this time GoRuck is going through growing pains and can't keep up with the demand, which by this time is no excuse (In my humble opinion), especially for the prices they are charging and have yet to charge (with the price increases coming).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads