Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Tough break. Sad to say, but anything that goes in the overheads is usually going to get a battering at some point.

Maybe some Obenaufs LP if you have some as that may darken the leather down a bit ??

There are going to be leather dyes that could be used. I'd use a lighter shade and build up in many applications to try to match the rest of the strap. Never done such things myself as always scared the dye or polish rubs off onto clothing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I can buy 3 Filson padded laptop cases for the price of a leather bag. And the Filson says despite wearing a suit and looking better than most of those around me I'm still a woodchuck at heart. Can't really see throwing a leather bag in the rig and driving through moose shit down two tracks a couple of months a year either. If you don't know what SSS means when a wolf shows interest in your dog while bird hunting you likely will never understand.

Good job. Like I said the only way to get the wax out is dry cleaning. 20-30 years ago before they came out with dry cloth everyone I know myself included dry cleaned our Filson hunting britches so we didn't sweat to death in them. And at teens and twenty's below zero they get stiff as hell with that wax treatment. And cold to boot. Make sure you treat that leather with conditioner now.

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

I've carried my medium duffle pretty filled up on Ryan Air as well as Wizz Air and Easy Jet. If it works for these airlines, it's gonna work for every domestic flight.

Yeah I don't have an issue although the zippers are kinda sharp. Sometimes I might have an issue putting in a box or something but nothing major

4. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I just bought a tan zippered tote. maybe I should`ve gone for the brown. :fu:

Anyone in long sleeves and tie have tan bags?

5. poorman

poorman Senior member

Carry-on or "personal item?"

I wanted the Medium bag but that risked having to pay a carry on fee. :embar:
    The Small I ended up with fit enough under the seat to be free. haha.

+1 the zippers are sharp! I like the little pockets on the sides, though I wish it had snaps or something.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

Mostly as my carry-on. I usually have my backpack with my laptop and camera and the duffle. I'd say your main risk is the bag not fitting in the overhead compartment. But given it's a duffle it's not hard to make it fit.

Sometimes if it's slightly longer trip or I have to bring stuff for others I might also have a tote.

7. detonate

detonate Member

Anyone know whether the Filson Field Bag Medium fits a 14" laptop? I haven't seen it in person and I know there's a rounded opening that cuts off an inch or so.

My laptop is 13.5" wide. I carry it rarely but I would like to be able to slip in my laptop when its needed.

Appreciate the help.

8. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Though break, indeed. I saw this about to happen, jumped out of my seat, but was unable to stop it. Thanks for the suggestion. I might just leave it as is, particularly because, as you point out, whatever treatment I use will likely rub off on my shoulder.

9. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I wear a suit and tie every day and work in sales, so I bring my tan briefcase with me everywhere; whether I'm cold calling or making a sales pitch. I get compliments from about 80% of the people I talk to... Then again, I live and work in Seattle where (I would assume) Filson is more well known and well received than anywhere else.

10. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know where I can pick up a shoulder strap?

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You can get a shoulder strap from Filson.

Use Filson boot oil on the roughed up spot on that strap and it'll pretty much disappear. While you're at it treat all the leather straps on the bag. It's bridle leather so it's a full aniline vegetable tanned leather. Don't waste your time with colored wax.

Unlike a few others I'm not going to give any kudos to someone who purposely disregards the care instructions provided by Filson and does a DIY mod to boot. Just for snicks what if the zipper just decides to self destruct? Do you really think you would be entitled to a new bag? I would guess they would probably do it but all that would do is move them one step closer to a restrictive limited warranty.

Again some of the latest advice on this thread is just plain and simply stupid.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

This just doesn't sit well with me at all. First off cotton is cold period. At least when it's waxed it provides some measure of protection from wind and moisture. As far as being stiff is concerned it sounds more like a break in problem. Yeah it's stiff when new and cold but loosens up with use. It took 2 years for my packer to loosen up and I wore that coat on job sites and afield nearly everyday in the Winters. Sweating while afield is a temperature control problem that's typically caused by poor base and middle layer choices than anything else. You add and remove layers as needed to control sweating. Plain and simply you took an outer garment that was specifically designed to protect you from thorns and more importantly the elements. Then you decide to remove the component of the garment that could keep you alive for what reason again? Oh I could go on but but I'll stop. One question though. If all you wanted was basically duck briar pants why didn't you buy that from another outfitter instead of screwing up a Filson product?

13. iroh

iroh Senior member

still looks like a cheapo bag, 99$ well wasted. it is worth it to pay 10x the price for a decent bag. you might be proud that you spent $99 for a cheap bag, however people with good taste wouldn't even carry that bag if it was given to them for free.

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I bet you just noticed that his shoes aren't black.

15. gnu

gnu Senior member

I dont understand why you jump on this thread just to criticize Filson. If you think they're cheap and you have better taste, then there are threads here that you would be better suited on. These bags are not meant to be fashion statements, they're meant to work.