1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 3dials

3dials Senior member

I got their catalog today and just pictured all of those bags in my closet. It's a sickness and Filson's the cure!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

3. destiny7

destiny7 Well-Known Member

this is a great thread it helped me made my mind to purchase Filson 257.
    Is anyone selling Filson 257 brown. Please contact me
    Thank You

4. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

Any sales out there for Small and Medium sized duffles?

5. Pitman

Pitman Senior member

1 person likes this.
  6. wesos

wesos Well-Known Member

If anyone is trying to decide on a colour for the 256 (or any bag for that matter) and is concernced that the otter is too green/pale/grey/whatever, let me tell you it is a great colour and photos don't nearly capture it well enough. It is a rich, foresty green that complements the brown of the leather really nicely and makes it great with a suit. I love the tan for the duffle and was very tempted to get the 256 in the same, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with the otter green.

1 person likes this.
  7. destiny7

destiny7 Well-Known Member

thanks for the heads up.

8. Georgia

Georgia Senior member

FYI - Five Mile Club out of Athens is running an annual 20% off Filson sale. Click here

They all the briefcases (256, 257, 258), all the duffles, wheeled carry-ons, Rucksacks, suit covers, and travel kits (among some other odds and ends).

9. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Just went to see what deal I could find and it looks like most items are sold out.

10. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

How do you store your Filson bags?
    Mine are not currently in "rotation" and they mildew up really quickly!
    It's quite painful when I feel like using one of them and I know it's going to take me about an hour prepping and drying before using them.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

It is possible to store them in a dryer place? I don't have they stored anywhere special and I don't have any issue with mildew.

12. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

So my 256s are coming tomorrow. I am excited!

13. GamaH

GamaH Well-Known Member

... aaaaand it's here.

It's a lot heavier than I was expecting though. But damn, it's so sexy, and smells so good. :happy:

14. wesos

wesos Well-Known Member

filson ought to make a fragrance that captures that smell. although it might only be alluring to SF members...

15. Roostertxp

Roostertxp Well-Known Member

Why would they mildew? Where the hell do you store them?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  16. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

some people actually still use these for camping, fishing, hunting trips. If they get wet, they will often smell mildewy which is very difficult to remove. It's also a huge problem with oil skin clothing.

17. mike134

mike134 Well-Known Member

by the way, UV light (from the sun) helps to destroy the mildew smell. Leave your bag in the sun for a few hours, then turn it inside out and leave it in the sun again.

18. Roostertxp

Roostertxp Well-Known Member

My rucksack has been wet many times and has no mildew smell. No odors at all. Sorry pal, but you are wrong!

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It depends where you live. In the Puget Sound area of Wa. State (ironically because that is where Filson is made) it is going to mildew if not stored properly. Even more so West of the Olympic Mountains in the rain forest. And the deep South East of the US. Of course depends how wet and how you store them. But yes if your in the "wrong" area and not climate controlled then they will mildew but so will every thing else.

I have my new pullman sitting in the garage to help reduce the bright brass to more of a patina due to humidity. Been sitting there for a couple of months with some heavy tiles in it hanging on a hook to help develop a set in the shoulder strap except when I use it. Some places around the country it would be prime for mildew, but not quite enough humidity here for mildew to be too much of a problem. Remember the super bowl commercial for Acura where they go to Baudette Mn. for Winter testing at 20 below? And conclude with if your car can't handle the winter here you don't need a new car but a new place to live? That is where I go to get cell phone reception when hunting that area:

[​IMG]

I don't use many Filson bags there because of the damn ATV's and theft, but I also want water proof storage and use dry bags and containers instead. The coolers are to keep food warm and prevent it from freezing, not the other way around. No problem with mildew there LOL. The point about UV is a good one also. I have my Grandfathers waxed cotton hunting pants for busting through brush that are almost 100 years old and when I want to freshen them I hang them out in the sun.

20. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Obenauf's HDLP or Obenauf's leather oil for Filson straps? I'm sure I can't go wrong with either, but any preferences between the two?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012