Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. raneym305

raneym305 Well-Known Member

I second this! Filson is incredible about returns. I've returned 2 items after a months of owning them simply because they ended up not being as functional as I thought they would be. They guys at the flagship store have never bat an eye at making the return.

My suggestion is to just return your bag and get the one you want.

2. helloj

helloj New Member

Isn't there any shop that is selling Filson 256 briefcase Tan color on sale?

3. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Has anyone rewaxed their twill canvas bags recently? What did you use? I tested a small area with a can of Barbour wax and it darkened the canvas significantly, made it look like tin-cloth.

4. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i am really considering getting a small or medium duffle but i hate straight zippers on duffle bags. I find U shaped zippers to be much easier to use.

Anyone else have issues when getting things in and out of the bag?

5. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

No. I have the small duffle and love it. Perfect weekend bag.

6. entrero

entrero Senior member

:crackup:
    [​IMG]
    :crackup:

Truer words were never spoken

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

7. poorman

poorman Senior member

In my opinion, since you already have feelings toward the zippers, you might find some annoyance with the bag. I know I do but its not like its impossible to get stuff in and out.

8. raneym305

I used the the Filson Tin Cloth wax to wax the corners of my bag as was suggested by the associate in the store. He said it should help the bag hold up longer, since the corners take most of the beating. They definitely look darker and have attracted more dirt than the rest of the bag.

He said that if I wanted to wax the whole bag, make sure I wax it with the grain of the fabric, and run a heat gun (a blow dryer won't get hot enough) over the bag to make sure the wax settles evenly. He also warned that the bag will be significantly darker, it will attract more dirt, and the wax will wear off on your clothes as it will take quite a bit of time to settle.

Here's a picture of my bag after waxing the corners.

[​IMG]

9. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

factoria?? weird

10. iroh

iroh Senior member

damn, all this trouble over a cheap looking, but decently designed, canvas bag? just drop the filson and get a leather bag instead, it is more durable, and it doesn't look cheap like canvas does, and when leather get a patina it looks nice, when canvas gets a patina you know it is dirt stains smudged with moldy wax that makes your bag looks like it needs to be washed.

11. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The duffle shrank around 10%. Not as much as I hoped for and it's still a little large for carry-on but I think I could easily get away with it. The duffle looks even better after a wash, looks as if I've been using it for a few months at least. Interestingly, the bag did not change color at all, not even the slightest, which leads me to believe, exactly how much wax is impregnated into the twill canvas, if at all? I coated the underside of the flap with a little wax and the whole thing changed color. So what exactly did Filson put into their canvas?

As you can see, the handles aren't attached to my bag. I've cut them off to shorten them. I'll reattach them once I buy some rivets.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

12. raneym305

13. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Someone on the Acela slammed my strap repeatedly when closing the overhead bin [​IMG]. Any tips? Anyone suggest a good polish?

[​IMG]

14. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I'd say leave it as is. Adds character. These bags look better once they are broken in, IMHO. I actually wish the leather straps and handles on my 257 look more beat up than they do. Had the bag for a few months and it still looks brand new despite everyday use.

15. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

The colour change AKA patina AKA dirt AKA wabi-sabi with tan is one of the reasons I prefer the green bags. They should age a bit better showing less dirt AKA character AKA ....