1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

A leather craft store should have a punch or someone who is willing to punch it for you. For the more adventurous: you can googles "Renaissance Fair" and find tons of weirdos to do it for exchange of mead, money or have group sex with.

I was in a 3rd world country and went to a small shoe repair shop to have 5 new holes punched. It cost equivalent of $0.50

but the option to go to a medieval fair and have it done while banging hairy wenches sounds funner.

2. alladin

alladin Senior member

I was in a 3rd world country and went to a small shoe repair shop to have 5 new holes punched. It cost equivalent of $0.50

but the option to go to a medieval fair and have it done while banging hairy wenches sounds funner.

3rd world - tut tut. That description is way old and non-pc. Why not just mention the country's name or refer it as developing world (still not right). Not trying to insult anyone but I used this same phrase not so long ago and was given a good verbal dress down.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Filson look and style is growing on me now that I see darker colors of canvas. I think the classic light tan/khaki just showed too much dirt for my taste. The darker colors seem to be more forgiving and appeal to me.

4. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Rather than punching more adjustment holes, I took a more laborious route and physically shortened the strap on my Filson bag. It turned out really well... [​IMG]
    I remember when my bag looked like that back in 1993.

5. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

3rd world - tut tut. That description is way old and non-pc. Why not just mention the country's name or refer it as developing world (still not right). Not trying to insult anyone but I used this same phrase not so long ago and was given a good verbal dress down.

whoa there PC police

6. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

... and still haven't thought of a witty retort to your down-dresser yet, apparently.

7. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

the third world (and all other curious) requests pix of the 1993 patina-ed bag please! i'll buy you two wenches if you do!

8. svelten

svelten Senior member

I don't own the green (I have the 258 in tan) but it's a nice color. Frankly though out of the three colors, it would be third on my list. I love the way the tan ages and the contrast with the dark brown leather straps.

The brown, from what I've seen in pictures posted, really looks great. In addition, people who have the brown keep raving about it. If I was going to get a Filson that I would check in when flying, I would take the brown route.

The green ones I've seen that are older look a little too green (lighter green) when they age. Again, totally just one man's humble opinion and I'm sure there are green devotees out there who would differ. That's the beauty of having different color options I guess.

I'm still on the fence with this, sometimes too much choice is a bad thing. Green's definitely out of my lineup (just not for me). I like tan the most for visual appeal, but I want something that's really versatile and I can carry into a boardroom and on vacation. Is tan going to look a little "unprofessional" with a suit as opposed to brown? Would you be caught dead carrying any of these colors this to meet clients or go to an interview?

These are fantastic bags for casual use, but frankly if I am going to drop nearly $200 for a bag/briefcase, I wouldn't want to have to get another one to go to the office with to replace my Targus [​IMG]

I did notice a lawyer posting earlier on how he uses it to carry documents... would be nice if he could post a pic.

9. JTK

JTK Senior member

Tan was my last choice when I was deciding which bag to get, but I fell in love w/ it when I saw one in person! It's a very classy looking bag, and I have had no reservations about carrying it into meetings with me. It's a versatile color and the leather contrasts nicely w/ the tan. I also think it works very well with a suit. That being said, you can't go wrong with any color! For me, tan was the best choice!

10. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I don't think they made a brown 232 in 1993. If they did, I would love to see pics of it

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Tan 237

Sometime love it. Sometimes wanna order one. Sometimes think it's old fashioned lamesness.

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Once you own a tan 257 you'll understand why they are so well thought of. I suppose that does have something to do with all the compliments you'll get....

Brown was introduced a couple of years ago. If that bag from 93 is dark it's Otter Green.

13. dport86

dport86 Senior member

Anybody else wish the teeth on the 257 zipper weren't quite so big and sharp? They scratch my computer and my hands trying to get in and out. Can't see this getting any better over time...

14. zorglubb

zorglubb Senior member

Filson 257 i use for school, by far the best bag i have ever owned[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Anybody else wish the teeth on the 257 zipper weren't quite so big and sharp? They scratch my computer and my hands trying to get in and out. Can't see this getting any better over time...

yep, the zippers are killer, I'm even afraid for my watch as I reach in the bag

16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yep, the zippers are killer, I'm even afraid for my watch as I reach in the bag

this is true even of the filson jackets.. LOL

I have to wear gloves if its really cold just to avoid the teeth of death getting hold of me. I still love the jackets though. I just walked around for over an hour in the pouring ass rain on monday (in a all season rain coat) and was dry and comfortable.

17. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

If you think that zipper is bad, try it on the garment bag ... where it's thaaaaat close to having an Isaia lunch. [​IMG]

18. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

Filson 257 i use for school, by far the best bag i have ever owned[​IMG]
    Thanks for the pics--love seeing the real thing out there.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

posted from another thread for those who like to see patina to the Nth degree:

No idea if they keep much in any archive, but they seem to sell them at their annual factory 2nds sale along with other customer returns.

Edit: Here are some pictures I took of one of the tables from during the sale last year. They were about $10-20 or so each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please do! That sounds awesome.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=25 this one has tons of patina.

20. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member