• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

masayako

Reaction score
Looks amazing.

It has certainly taking on it's own journey.

It takes generations to build a patina briefcase with its unique character. It's a keeper for sure.

This is totally worth the money. I know @Soletrane will concur. Apparently this one is from the 1930’s and still going strong. Although I could be wrong on the date era. @GzStudio could shed some light on that with his filling cabinet of Filson catalogs

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures.133759/page-215

View attachment 990978

View attachment 990979

View attachment 990980

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize as of now it’s quite obvious that you dislike patina. But the vast majority of the members of this forum appreciate it, as each one is unique to how they use their Filson and how it reflects them as people, fathers, and enthusiasts of this amazing brand. I look at a fine patina as a journey a man takes with his Filson...his copilot or wingman if you will. It’s always there for them when they need it. I can appreciate that you are unique in that you don’t prefer a patina, which is uncommon around here, but there’s a ton of members on here that live for it. And I’m not referring to buying a pre-patinated Filson, nothing against that, I appreciate it nonetheless

I think Filson fans are generally going to like some patina since the use of natural materials like twill and bridle leather almost guarantees patina will form with enough use. Though there will be some variation: some will view a very well used bag as beautiful and others will view it as dirty or worn-out.

I have used my field satchel daily for less than a year. It’s not hard use. I am not exposed to the elements for very long or throwing the satchel around my feet on a crowded train. There is burnishing to a red-brown on the edges. It would take decades to get to the level of the satchel in the picture at my current hate. It’s okay because the satchel looks good from newish to well used even as it gradually changes with time and use.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Anyone need a 257....? This puts my rack to shame.

2AEB1621-5E4D-4CEA-B76A-EE9C1F1C04AD.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a much more in depth video on Saddleback Leather. He has a pretty cool White Oak Denim & Filson Reviews too. Again this is in no way an attack on their canvas line, it's only pertaining to their leather goods...which is the backbone of their company I should say.

Wow, this video is pretty informative. I did not know that saddleback made their bags in Mexico. Very dissapointing.

You will also notice that he did NOT recommend a Filson leather bag. My guess would be that this is due to the brand name up-charge, but interesting nonetheless.

masayako

Reaction score
Wow, this video is pretty informative. I did not know that saddleback made their bags in Mexico. Very dissapointing.

You will also notice that he did NOT recommend a Filson leather bag. My guess would be that this is due to the brand name up-charge, but interesting nonetheless.

Not only Made in Mexico. They are made by cheap labor assembly line, using Chrome-tanned leather. It's not worth your money, trust me. I did my research on Saddlebeck leather. They rip big money out of their customers. You pay serious money and yet you receive low quality leather goods. e.g $689 - $749 for a chrome-tanned, Made in Mexico briefcase is absolutely unacceptable.

I had been to Mexico and, with 30% of Saddlebeck price, I can buy a similar Chrome-tanned leather briefcase handmade by the local shop owner himself, instead of a assembly line. More durable, better stitching and even customize size for you at no additional cost. But, the con is: it's still Chrome-tanned leather, heavy and with a "red-neck chic" style attached to it. No thanks. In fact, I'd rather pay a little more and got myself a heirloom quality British made all leather bespoke briefcase instead. Pay once, cry once, and then smile forever. To be honest, to me, it's not even worth a debate in terms of Cost vs Value, it's common-sense.

Some people say that Saddlebeck is "your baseline" on what men's briefcase to buy. If you can afford more, get something more luxury. If you prefer to spend less, get something cheaper, but Saddlebeck is your baseline. I am sorry, but I disagree. Saddleback is a distraction. It keeps you from knowing what's better out there in the briefcase market. It makes you believe you are getting a high quality leather product, which is a flat-out lie. It roots to people's ignorance and group-think. It is a typical example on "low quality product + good marketing" gets you a profitable business model. I am sure some people will fall for it and swear by it merely because their money (and love) is now attached to it already. It's hard to convince yourself you made a mistake and money not well spent. I can understand that. The fact is: I made many bad briefcase purchases myself and spent hundreds before I realized the issues with it. I learnt from it and I hope everyone do the same instead of blindly defending a pretty obvious low-quality company/products.

20180510_174458-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
IMG_2675.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG

If you think the Filson Field Satchels are heavy and durable (they are) try one of these Etwas bags. Simple design, handsewn stitching, Wickett and Craig veg tanned leather that is probably 50% thicker (by touch, not micrometer) than the satchel. Mine is still breaking in and will probably require five more years until the leather becomes fully supple. Just a tank of a bag.

masayako

Reaction score
View attachment 991372
If you think the Filson Field Satchels are heavy and durable (they are) try one of these Etwas bags. Simple design, handsewn stitching, Wickett and Craig veg tanned leather that is probably 50% thicker (by touch, not micrometer) than the satchel. Mine is still breaking in and will probably require five more years until the leather becomes fully supple. Just a tank of a bag.

Very handsome, masculine looking bag. Good stuff.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Not only Made in Mexico. They are made by cheap labor assembly line, using Chrome-tanned leather. It's not worth your money, trust me. I did my research on Saddlebeck leather. They rip big money out of their customers. You pay serious money and yet you receive low quality leather goods. e.g $689 - $749 for a chrome-tanned, Made in Mexico briefcase is absolutely unacceptable.

I had been to Mexico and, with 30% of Saddlebeck price, I can buy a similar Chrome-tanned leather briefcase handmade by the local shop owner himself, instead of a assembly line. More durable, better stitching and even customize size for you at no additional cost. But, the con is: it's still Chrome-tanned leather, heavy and with a "red-neck chic" style attached to it. No thanks. In fact, I'd rather pay a little more and got myself a heirloom quality British made all leather bespoke briefcase instead. Pay once, cry once, and then smile forever. To be honest, to me, it's not even worth a debate in terms of Cost vs Value, it's common-sense.

Some people say that Saddlebeck is "your baseline" on what men's briefcase to buy. If you can afford more, get something more luxury. If you prefer to spend less, get something cheaper, but Saddlebeck is your baseline. I am sorry, but I disagree. Saddleback is a distraction. It keeps you from knowing what's better out there in the briefcase market. It makes you believe you are getting a high quality leather product, which is a flat-out lie. It roots to people's ignorance and group-think. It is a typical example on "low quality product + good marketing" gets you a profitable business model. I am sure some people will fall for it and swear by it merely because their money (and love) is now attached to it already. It's hard to convince yourself you made a mistake and money not well spent. I can understand that. The fact is: I made many bad briefcase purchases myself and spent hundreds before I realized the issues with it. I learnt from it and I hope everyone do the same instead of blindly defending a pretty obvious low-quality company/products.

View attachment 991288
If this is in reference to me, I am speaking as an owner, no blind defense here. I love their canvas product and stand behind it. Saddleback canvas, like Filson is very well made, I also feel it’s more rugged. Time will tell, and as I’ve said before I’ll report back, but as it stands I back both companies and will continue to recommend both.

masayako

Reaction score
If this is in reference to me, I am speaking as an owner, no blind defense here. I love their canvas product and stand behind it. Saddleback canvas, like Filson is very well made, I also feel it’s more rugged. Time will tell, and as I’ve said before I’ll report back, but as it stands I back both companies and will continue to recommend both.

No, I am not referring to you or anyone specific on this forum.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GzStudio

Reaction score
Great looking kids GZ! I have 2 girls too.

Pics of the FRD piece?

Thanks. Here it is. It’s a newer Duffle, which I usually wouldn’t consider but it was really faded and has nods to the first Duffle that I really liked ( no snap handle & no pull tabs). The leather was super thick and felt so soft. Love contrast stitching as well.

I also spotted a rare bird in the wild at the border crossing of all places....

604DE6E3-1B12-4312-A287-153685CCBD26.jpeg

BF1C05BE-6B1F-400C-B0CA-391470A2A101.jpeg

9394F97B-BE06-4A90-A41D-06A672331E2E.jpeg

295ED4A4-9E42-4163-8B5B-1B5755DDE6FE.jpeg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Filson fans are generally going to like some patina since the use of natural materials like twill and bridle leather almost guarantees patina will form with enough use. Though there will be some variation: some will view a very well used bag as beautiful and others will view it as dirty or worn-out.

I have used my field satchel daily for less than a year. It’s not hard use. I am not exposed to the elements for very long or throwing the satchel around my feet on a crowded train. There is burnishing to a red-brown on the edges. It would take decades to get to the level of the satchel in the picture at my current hate. It’s okay because the satchel looks good from newish to well used even as it gradually changes with time and use.

All good points. Plus when the bag evolves & patinas, it takes on new form and appreciation. In this throwaway culture we live in i side with loving my patina, as that means I’m not wasting resources that can go towards something more deserving, which thus might create something someone else can appreciate for the life of the object.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads