STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Which is why I opted out of it, plus I'm not really a fan of something that large being a cross body style carry. What I love about my MTB is that you can carry it on one shoulder, even when over-packed.

2. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

you guys should watch the comparison video i embedded. again i cannot vouch for their leather stuff, it doesnt do much for me, but the canvas items are really well done. i love Filson and its proven, but when you hold both in your hands and examine them i think you would be impressed with Saddleback' canvas stuff. i have 5 (thats right Otter, i counted!), the 5 pocket backpack, the large gear bag, the Indiana gear bag, and 2 of their dopp kits. they all feature the a closing feature that is simple and bomb proof, and very easy to access with one hand. again i like both but find myself reaching for the Saddleback stuff more often.

3. OtterMeanGreen

Not sure why you chose to reply to my comment as I am clearly talking about their wallets and leather goods...not their canvas items. I know you are a big proprietor of Saddlebacks, but the companies couldn't be further apart. Filson isn't a dedicated leather goods provider, like Saddelback is (which is stated in their name of all places). Filson is an overbuilt/outfitter for those that work in the field, although many of their supporters are anything but. However that is what the original intention is of Filson (as an outfitter), a company that has been around 120+ years. Saddleback is a relatively newer company, with other intentions in mind, namely longevity, but certainly not dedicated use in the field or bush.

4. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

they are not far apart, when you think about it they both make bags to carry stuff.

5. OtterMeanGreen

So does JanSport but I wouldn't trust that stuff in a safari adventure.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

6. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

they arent even in the same league, lol

7. OtterMeanGreen

But they are bags meant to carry stuff, which is all I had to go there. A quick search on google and I really can't find anything Saddleback makes that's meant for the field/bush use, even their newer canvas line doesn't reflect the abundance of what Filson has to offer and the evidence of its intentions. Heck even Jansport has an adventure line which can be seen with mountaineers using it with the intention in mind. Completely different company compared to Filson or Saddleback; I suggested it as a joke to your short response. Although Lawyers or professors in mind, I think Saddleback would win on that one. Although the #258 would be close behind

8. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

If you were to step outside the safety of this forum you’d find plenty of their stuff used in the field. Either way both make quality stuff that in my opinion will take a beating for a loooonnng time!

9. OtterMeanGreen

Time will certainly tell, however neither Saddleback Leather or their Canvas products have been around for long enough to truly test out the longevity of the craftsmanship, especially when compared to 100+ year old companies like Filson. They say "100 year warranty", which is just a fancy way of saying lifetime warranty. They haven't been around for even a fraction of that time and they have no way of knowing if their products will make it anywhere close to that date. So if you feel safe within the the confides of your own speculation, then that's ok, no harm in that.

10. Bamablue

Bamablue New Member

Thank you! Actually I am already on an overseas trip right now and the bag serves me very well. You pointed out the leather parts of the bag compared to the newer versions. I like it very much, although the leather on the bottom seems to be rather thin, I hope it will be as durable as if it'd be rugged twill.
    Yeah too bad that he straps don't have the rivets anymore and I also miss the old Filson tag just like everyone I guess.

11. OtterMeanGreen

I hear you man. That's good that you're already putting it to good use. The versions that carried with it the original tag (with motto in tow) also had a special open pocket designed for your smart phone. Not sure why they eliminated that. Something about those old vintage tags just makes me smile. It could be the font they used or a thin layer of patina forming on that dulls it or makes it slightly dirty.

logo 1.jpg

12. OtterMeanGreen

This is a much more in depth video on Saddleback Leather. He has a pretty cool White Oak Denim & Filson Reviews too. Again this is in no way an attack on their canvas line, it's only pertaining to their leather goods...which is the backbone of their company I should say.

13. OtterMeanGreen

14. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

4806D86C-FDFD-4BEA-A368-874D22FCD8EA.jpeg 9B0C7AED-6FB3-4DBC-A25F-9417B5007789.jpeg
    Don’t like their designs for the leather products, but I can tell you firsthand the canvas bags are fantastic. Ive used this one all the time for business and just carrying gear, 2 years now and I love the thing. The backpack gets a lot of use as well.

15. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

I’m not into their leather, but if I was, nothing this guy said would sway me otherwise. Expensive? Sure, so what if it’s what I want. Their stuff is very well made and has a loyal (some would say rabid!) following just like Filson. Like him or not Dave has carved himself a niche, loves what he is doing, and makes a great product. Can’t fault a guy for being successful!