1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

Stopped by a thrift shop that's right by my bank. I had visions of vintage Filsons overflowing the racks. Instead it was bags like these as far as the eye could see:
    [​IMG]

2. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

I can’t speak for their leather stuff, but their waxed canvas line is really well done. It’s more like the Filson rugged twill. No zippers, really strong attachment points and straps. Very well thought out designs. I have both and find Filson to be more refined, whereas the Saddleback canvas line is more primitive and rugged I’d have to say.

3. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I would agree that Filson is more refined, but I wouldn’t agree that Saddleback is more rugged (maybe more rugged looking?). I don’t think the saddleback stuff holds up as well as Filson simply from the research I’ve done. I watched a bunch of unboxing videos by a guy who switched to Filson because he kept having to send back saddleback bags cause the stitching kept coming loose at high abraision points. Not to say your bag isn’t the exception, but the way I define rugged is “ability to take a beating while still fully functional”, making Filson at minimum on par with saddleback if not moreso.

4. masayako

masayako Senior Member

TinMan refers to him.
    Link:

I completely agree that Saddleback leather is junk and avoid to waste money on bad products.

5. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I would prefer the top bag with the nearby aluminum roller - that’s more Jones + Gecko to me.

6. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

A friend of mine had a saddleback. It was new. The leather looked pretty good but the oversized silver hardware with the big buckles gave it a very clunky but robust appearance.

I could see how it might speak to some people. Especially if you rock a cowboy style. Unfortunately, my friend does not.

7. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

The small travel would make a great gym bag. I like the aging on the Pullman, but I think the full sized Pullman is a beast for hand carry.

8. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Nice to finally see another Journeyman owner on the board. I have been singing its praises for a while. It’s actually a category killer for me - it’s put a half-dozen other briefcases and shoulder bags out to pasture for any kind of travel as my ‘personal item’. It’s just so practical and well designed. I got mine in navy so it looked a bit business-like. Never seen the grey version before!

9. Bamablue

Bamablue New Member

Thanks dude! I like the navy color too, but currently it's also unavailable to order...
    According to the seller this gray version was made for the New York store and therefore it was a limited edition.

6A0DE2B4-5899-46C2-BAC2-AD1BA27FD81B.jpeg

6478A910-31E5-4817-9793-FDE728A59BF2.jpeg

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Lol this my experience too. Racks of indistinguishable cheap black nylon bags. Many of them the free ones you get from attending conferences. The best bag I ever saw was an old Lands End Squarerigger briefcase with chewing gum stuck to it. I have donated better stuff than I have ever seen on the racks.

11. Stratkat

Stratkat Senior Member

The guy you are referring to finds things wrong with everything and sends product back all the time. Here he is unboxing of a Filson med field bag, about a minute or two in, he shows his Filson rucksack and why he’s sending it back (stitching coming undone at attachment points, lol).
    This is a really good comparison between Filson and Saddleback’s canvas gear

12. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Nice Journeyman! You appear to have gotten lucky on that one, as not only is there leather on the front pocket flap and across the sides, but across the back near the top. Bedrock Filson, in their infinite wisdom, removed the back leather in place of cloth, but forgot to drop the price to reflect the decrease in material cost. It's too bad the back straps doesn't have the 4 rivets; as it looks like you have the sewn option. Beggars can't be choosers and you certainly have a great bag though. Good luck with it, may it accompany you on many journeys along the way...that is why it is called the "Journeyman", as in let's take a Journey....Man :lol::fonz:

13. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: me too man. I went to one the other day and the nicest bag I saw was a Tumi roller.....:facepalm:. I'm not giving up though, I don't care how many moths I have to swat away, I will find my own $5 Filson barn find.

14. OtterMeanGreen

My thoughts exactly. At one point I was seriously considering one of their wallets...the one that doesn't snap credit cards in half :lol:. I really respected the motto of the company: "they'll be fight over it when you're dead". I also really liked the materials used and the methods in which they were built. However I hear the company took a decline in QC as of late (partially from the video @masayako shared). So I don't know what I want now, maybe it will still be a Saddleback wallet, but I definitely want something that will last a lifetime. I'm not really a fan of Filson's wallets to be honest, sacrilege I know :fonz:

15. OtterMeanGreen

:rotflmao: Even GG himself is saying Otter Green is better then Tan. Am I seeing things you may ask?

gg.jpg