• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you know I'm a fan of the Rolling Carryon but not a fan of Filson's neglect of their lifetime warranty for it. Would this change your mind in any way? It's like half Indiana Jones and half Gordon Gecko :lol:

View attachment 989573

I would prefer the top bag with the nearby aluminum roller - that’s more Jones + Gecko to me.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve only seen one saddleback in the wild. It looks hugely overbuilt and the silver hardware isn’t to my taste. To each their own I guess

A friend of mine had a saddleback. It was new. The leather looked pretty good but the oversized silver hardware with the big buckles gave it a very clunky but robust appearance.

I could see how it might speak to some people. Especially if you rock a cowboy style. Unfortunately, my friend does not.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Talon Era Pullman for sale at a pretty reasonable price. Tan of course :fonz:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Filso...043379?hash=item4b461fe833:g:KKAAAOSw8kBbIGjs

Filson Small Travel Bag for sale, Talon era in you guessed it...Tan. This one is a pretty rare, never seen one on sale before. It's basically being sold as like-new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Vin...459704?hash=item1a52bfedf8:g:rv8AAOSweEFbHp6j

The small travel would make a great gym bag. I like the aging on the Pullman, but I think the full sized Pullman is a beast for hand carry.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big filson fan, I already own an otter green 48 hour duffle for a year which I like a lot. However I was looking for something I could utilize every day then I found the journeyman backpack. Only issue was the color. Being a city man snd trying to dress "nicely" it just would have been difficult to match the traditional filson colors (tan, green) with my everyday outfit. Anyway I kept looking at eBay and I came across limited edition gray version. I had to pull the trigger immediately on that! I have been using the backpack for several weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. Looks sharp, feels though as nails. What do you guys think?

View attachment 989751

View attachment 989752

View attachment 989753

View attachment 989754

Nice to finally see another Journeyman owner on the board. I have been singing its praises for a while. It’s actually a category killer for me - it’s put a half-dozen other briefcases and shoulder bags out to pasture for any kind of travel as my ‘personal item’. It’s just so practical and well designed. I got mine in navy so it looked a bit business-like. Never seen the grey version before!

Bamablue

Reaction score
Nice to finally see another Journeyman owner on the board. I have been singing its praises for a while. It’s actually a category killer for me - it’s put a half-dozen other briefcases and shoulder bags out to pasture for any kind of travel as my ‘personal item’. It’s just so practical and well designed. I got mine in navy so it looked a bit business-like. Never seen the grey version before!

Thanks dude! I like the navy color too, but currently it's also unavailable to order...
According to the seller this gray version was made for the New York store and therefore it was a limited edition.

6A0DE2B4-5899-46C2-BAC2-AD1BA27FD81B.jpeg

6478A910-31E5-4817-9793-FDE728A59BF2.jpeg

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by a thrift shop that's right by my bank. I had visions of vintage Filsons overflowing the racks. Instead it was bags like these as far as the eye could see:
grocery-bags-2.jpg
Lol this my experience too. Racks of indistinguishable cheap black nylon bags. Many of them the free ones you get from attending conferences. The best bag I ever saw was an old Lands End Squarerigger briefcase with chewing gum stuck to it. I have donated better stuff than I have ever seen on the racks.

Stratkat

Reaction score
I would agree that Filson is more refined, but I wouldn’t agree that Saddleback is more rugged (maybe more rugged looking?). I don’t think the saddleback stuff holds up as well as Filson simply from the research I’ve done. I watched a bunch of unboxing videos by a guy who switched to Filson because he kept having to send back saddleback bags cause the stitching kept coming loose at high abraision points. Not to say your bag isn’t the exception, but the way I define rugged is “ability to take a beating while still fully functional”, making Filson at minimum on par with saddleback if not moreso.
The guy you are referring to finds things wrong with everything and sends product back all the time. Here he is unboxing of a Filson med field bag, about a minute or two in, he shows his Filson rucksack and why he’s sending it back (stitching coming undone at attachment points, lol).
This is a really good comparison between Filson and Saddleback’s canvas gear

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big filson fan, I already own an otter green 48 hour duffle for a year which I like a lot. However I was looking for something I could utilize every day then I found the journeyman backpack. Only issue was the color. Being a city man snd trying to dress "nicely" it just would have been difficult to match the traditional filson colors (tan, green) with my everyday outfit. Anyway I kept looking at eBay and I came across limited edition gray version. I had to pull the trigger immediately on that! I have been using the backpack for several weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. Looks sharp, feels though as nails. What do you guys think?

View attachment 989751

View attachment 989752

View attachment 989753

View attachment 989754

Nice Journeyman! You appear to have gotten lucky on that one, as not only is there leather on the front pocket flap and across the sides, but across the back near the top. Bedrock Filson, in their infinite wisdom, removed the back leather in place of cloth, but forgot to drop the price to reflect the decrease in material cost. It's too bad the back straps doesn't have the 4 rivets; as it looks like you have the sewn option. Beggars can't be choosers and you certainly have a great bag though. Good luck with it, may it accompany you on many journeys along the way...that is why it is called the "Journeyman", as in let's take a Journey....Man :lol::fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by a thrift shop that's right by my bank. I had visions of vintage Filsons overflowing the racks. Instead it was bags like these as far as the eye could see:
grocery-bags-2.jpg

:lol: me too man. I went to one the other day and the nicest bag I saw was a Tumi roller.....:facepalm:. I'm not giving up though, I don't care how many moths I have to swat away, I will find my own $5 Filson barn find.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree that Filson is more refined, but I wouldn’t agree that Saddleback is more rugged (maybe more rugged looking?). I don’t think the saddleback stuff holds up as well as Filson simply from the research I’ve done. I watched a bunch of unboxing videos by a guy who switched to Filson because he kept having to send back saddleback bags cause the stitching kept coming loose at high abraision points. Not to say your bag isn’t the exception, but the way I define rugged is “ability to take a beating while still fully functional”, making Filson at minimum on par with saddleback if not moreso.

My thoughts exactly. At one point I was seriously considering one of their wallets...the one that doesn't snap credit cards in half :lol:. I really respected the motto of the company: "they'll be fight over it when you're dead". I also really liked the materials used and the methods in which they were built. However I hear the company took a decline in QC as of late (partially from the video @masayako shared). So I don't know what I want now, maybe it will still be a Saddleback wallet, but I definitely want something that will last a lifetime. I'm not really a fan of Filson's wallets to be honest, sacrilege I know :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would prefer the top bag with the nearby aluminum roller - that’s more Jones + Gecko to me.

:rotflmao: Even GG himself is saying Otter Green is better then Tan. Am I seeing things you may ask?

gg.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small travel would make a great gym bag. I like the aging on the Pullman, but I think the full sized Pullman is a beast for hand carry.

Which is why I opted out of it, plus I'm not really a fan of something that large being a cross body style carry. What I love about my MTB is that you can carry it on one shoulder, even when over-packed.

Stratkat

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. At one point I was seriously considering one of their wallets...the one that doesn't snap credit cards in half :lol:. I really respected the motto of the company: "they'll be fight over it when you're dead". I also really liked the materials used and the methods in which they were built. However I hear the company took a decline in QC as of late (partially from the video @masayako shared). So I don't know what I want now, maybe it will still be a Saddleback wallet, but I definitely want something that will last a lifetime. I'm not really a fan of Filson's wallets to be honest, sacrilege I know :fonz:
you guys should watch the comparison video i embedded. again i cannot vouch for their leather stuff, it doesnt do much for me, but the canvas items are really well done. i love Filson and its proven, but when you hold both in your hands and examine them i think you would be impressed with Saddleback' canvas stuff. i have 5 (thats right Otter, i counted!), the 5 pocket backpack, the large gear bag, the Indiana gear bag, and 2 of their dopp kits. they all feature the a closing feature that is simple and bomb proof, and very easy to access with one hand. again i like both but find myself reaching for the Saddleback stuff more often.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys should watch the comparison video i embedded. again i cannot vouch for their leather stuff, it doesnt do much for me, but the canvas items are really well done. i love Filson and its proven, but when you hold both in your hands and examine them i think you would be impressed with Saddleback' canvas stuff. i have 5 (thats right Otter, i counted!), the 5 pocket backpack, the large gear bag, the Indiana gear bag, and 2 of their dopp kits. they all feature the a closing feature that is simple and bomb proof, and very easy to access with one hand. again i like both but find myself reaching for the Saddleback stuff more often.

Not sure why you chose to reply to my comment as I am clearly talking about their wallets and leather goods...not their canvas items. I know you are a big proprietor of Saddlebacks, but the companies couldn't be further apart. Filson isn't a dedicated leather goods provider, like Saddelback is (which is stated in their name of all places). Filson is an overbuilt/outfitter for those that work in the field, although many of their supporters are anything but. However that is what the original intention is of Filson (as an outfitter), a company that has been around 120+ years. Saddleback is a relatively newer company, with other intentions in mind, namely longevity, but certainly not dedicated use in the field or bush.

Stratkat

Reaction score
Not sure why you chose to reply to my comment as I am clearly talking about their wallets and leather goods...not their canvas items. I know you are a big proprietor of Saddlebacks, but the companies couldn't be further apart. Filson isn't a dedicated leather goods provider, like Saddelback is (which is stated in their name of all places). Filson is an overbuilt/outfitter for those that work in the field, although many of their supporters are anything but. However that is what the original intention is of Filson (as an outfitter), a company that has been around 120+ years. Saddleback is a relatively newer company, with other intentions in mind, namely longevity, but certainly not dedicated use in the field or bush.
they are not far apart, when you think about it they both make bags to carry stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads