STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I can’t blame anyone for using rollers. But still I try to pack light and use a backpack so I can avoid my roller as much as possible. I will even go to checking my larger duffle before the roller comes out (like family trips).

Having said that - I think the contrasty combo of a quality aluminum roller and an old Filson bag looks pretty cool.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

2. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I’m sure you are right. I think I have this ridiculous fantasy that Filson is still run in the way that companies like Alden are. Companies that haven’t been infiltrated by private equity and pressure of growing returns. I suppose I should be grateful that they at least know the value in the made in USA perception. If for nothing else for the individuals that they employ.

@coolarrow very cool info on Alden. I have been an Alden lurker for a very long time and I will someday purchase the Indy boot in color 8 shell.

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Distinguished Member

That's a great boot!

An American shoe company that seems to be going in the the other direction is Allen Edmonds, which is a shame. AE was recently bought by Caleres, who owns Famous Footwear. I'm no expert, but when visiting the AE thread, there are reports of a lot people that have been let go at their Wisconsin plant. In recent years, some of their boat shoes have been made in the Dominican Republic. Apparently, this process has been accelerated with the uppers of most shoes being stitched in the DR and just assembled here in the U.S. That way they can still say "Made in the USA!). Only their high line shoes are wholly made in the U.S.

Sounds like AE will be like Cole Haan (remember Nike bought them?), Florsheim (all their shoes are made in India) and Johnston Murphy (China?).

4. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

As you know I'm a fan of the Rolling Carryon but not a fan of Filson's neglect of their lifetime warranty for it. Would this change your mind in any way? It's like half Indiana Jones and half Gordon Gecko :lol:

carry on.jpg

5. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I can confirm that I have 2 pairs of AEs. The first pair are walnut strands that I purchased 3 years ago. Amazing shoes. The other pair I purchased about a year ago are black cap toes. They were from Nordstrom, but were the “discounted” pair that was never full price. Not impressed. The leather never softened and overall not nearly as quality of a shoe as the strands. I believe they may be taking the Filson model for now and making their “staple” models (strand, 5th ave, etc.) in the traditional way, and then making many of their others using shortcuts. This is complete speculation, btw, just my theory.

6. OtterMeanGreen

That's respectable, that would be nice if other companies adopted those principals. Speaking of Alden's, I'm currently looking into buying my first pair of Indy Boots. Just not sure yet if I want the Calf Skin 405's or the Chromexcel 403's.

7. OtterMeanGreen

Well it looks like Bedrock Filson is gonna ride that MiA wave until it breaks some poor surfers neck on the shore line. Speaking of Bedrock, has anyone scoped out their new website design? For some reason I immediately thought Eastern Mountain Sports with a Macy's undertone. Obviously not a compliment. :lol:....however they might take it as one.

say it isnt so.PNG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

8. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

48 got the nod today along with the 261 for my wife. Roller for my daughters.

98543262-E28A-4074-BBB4-6C86B0A5A231.jpeg

9. OtterMeanGreen

10. OtterMeanGreen

Ever wonder what the best briefcase is for lawyers? Not only did Filson get a mention (the #256) but we also got the main title screenshot....which it turns out they used the #257 (maybe by accident)

https://lawyerist.com/best-lawyer-briefcase/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

11. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I’m greatly amused by the suggestion that the outer pocket of the saddleback bag is useful for “hand sanitizer”. Insert rude joke here about lawyers and the need for cleaning your hands...

12. OtterMeanGreen

:lol: good one. The size and weight of that thing makes my shoulder hurt just by the sight of it

13. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I’ve only seen one saddleback in the wild. It looks hugely overbuilt and the silver hardware isn’t to my taste. To each their own I guess

14. Bamablue

Bamablue New Member

I am a big filson fan, I already own an otter green 48 hour duffle for a year which I like a lot. However I was looking for something I could utilize every day then I found the journeyman backpack. Only issue was the color. Being a city man snd trying to dress "nicely" it just would have been difficult to match the traditional filson colors (tan, green) with my everyday outfit. Anyway I kept looking at eBay and I came across limited edition gray version. I had to pull the trigger immediately on that! I have been using the backpack for several weeks now and I couldn't be happier with it. Looks sharp, feels though as nails. What do you guys think?

CFE7787B-7494-4E7F-8687-146C5C1103E4.jpeg

CBEAC61E-7E37-41D8-9E5B-854CAABEA5A9.jpeg

E739E2D2-B92C-4871-BF0C-B7E21B83F137.jpeg

B171E240-3C18-4EF3-B515-C63A38385BFF.jpeg

15. OtterMeanGreen