• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well I got the 256 in tan but it has very slight discoloration in the canvas color on certain areas on the outside of the bag. you wouldnt notice unless you are looking very close like I am.
There are long sort lines of a slight discoloration in the fabric.... looks like it may have been folded or something happened but I dont think I can even capture it in a photo.

I really don't know if its worth returning over something like that... has anyone ever seen something like that on a 256 before?

milw50717

Reaction score

well I got the 256 in tan but it has very slight discoloration in the canvas color on certain areas on the outside of the bag. you wouldnt notice unless you are looking very close like I am.
There are long sort lines of a slight discoloration in the fabric.... looks like it may have been folded or something happened but I dont think I can even capture it in a photo.
I really don't know if its worth returning over something like that... has anyone ever seen something like that on a 256 before?

I had a quick look at my 258 and 256 and if you look very closely there are some slight lighter lines. Some have probably been there since day 1 and others have probably been added in daily use. I'd live with it unless it really annoys you. After a while the bag is going to get additional character.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose those white lines you are talking about are from the waxed cotton. Those white lines you can make from rubbing your finger nail on the fabric.

I have those also but I am referring is the tan color itself i a bit more yellow than normal or something. it almost looks like its a stain if you look close.

here is about the best pic I could take:

That sort of colour shows up in several places on the bag. any thoughts if that is some sort of defect?' Has anyone else's bag had that?

I suppose it will blend it once the bag patinas but still.

Last edited:

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Had several of those when I got my duffle.
I think it's a pretty natural occurrence with waxed canvas.

Patrick James

Reaction score
I have a Filson Medium Field bag in Black wool, used only a handful of times, and a brand new, unused size 34 brown belt that I need to get rid of. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

rpiotr01

Reaction score
spacemanvt - almost looks like the bag was folded for a period, which caused those marks. They may even out as the bag gets used. Beat it up a little, get it wet etc. See what happens. If anything you can buy a tin of Filson wax and touch those areas up yourself. May even out the color.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score

i just recieved my 256 from glensoutdoors. its def a bit smaller than I thought, but I think the size will work since I am not lugging a laptop to work and back... I was hoping it would be big enough to hold a change of clothes to but i think the dimensions are smaller than filson actually has listed at. The depth is actually 3" not 4" as filson.com shows.
One question... does it look slightly discolored even new? I see some white sort of discoloration across parts of the bag... pretty certain its the waxed cotton though.

I got my 256 on Monday from Glen's as well and it was smaller than I thought it would be so I'm exchanging for the 257. As for the discoloration, I wouldn't really worry about it. These bags are meant to get beat up so that stuff is going to happen over time anyway. It just adds character in my opinion.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah thanks guys. i figured.

I am pretty happy with the size of the 256. I would imagine a 257 is 2" deeper so its pretty huge for my use.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do anything to their bags/leather to protect/waterproof them?

I read through many pages, and noticed one person sprays something on to waterproof. If it's accessible in Toronto too that would be great.

Last edited:

August West

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis

I use the Heavy Duty LP, but their other products are top quality as well. I love the way it smells, too.
http://www.obenaufs.com/

August West

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by althanis

I use the Heavy Duty LP, but their other products are top quality as well. I love the way it smells, too.
http://www.obenaufs.com/

August West

Reaction score
Quote:
I use the Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP, but their other products are top quality as well. I love the way it smells, too.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OHDLP on waxed canvas? :bored:

Edit: Ahh, on the leather, of course. :laugh:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads