Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. riton

riton Senior member

Finally got my 256 from Cable Car Clothiers !!
    It took more time to be cleared by the customs than cross the Atlantic Ocean !

The material is indeed tough and the bag is quite heavy ! Too bad I could not order the handle in time while it was special ordered. Guess I will try to find a handle somewhere else.

2. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

60 grit it is, then. Thanks for the pointer. The strap doesn't do me much good sitting on a shelf, so I'm not too worried about destroying the pad. Actually, Filson makes a big deal about how great their product are ("Might as well have the best"). Why do you suppose they ship a strap design that, to be blunt, doesn't do the job?

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Do you recall if you were billed when you placed the order or did they wait until they had shipped? I just want to make sure that they are using the same practice for both our orders. I am still waiting for mine to ship, but was billed three weeks ago.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It does work OEM, but when new is slightly slick yet. And is very thick so it will last a long, long time. Durability is likely the design principle behind it, and simplicity. So it could be considered usable as is. Over time and with wear it grips better. Sanding just ages it much faster. Sure was nice this morning to just throw it on and not worry about it slipping though!

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Ordered mine was from CCC and I was billed at the time I ordered it too. It was not dropped shipped from Filson but came in a box from CCC, they had to order it from Filson because it was not in stock.

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Ugh. Just got a call that I received a package at my billing address that I only visit every couple of months even though it was supposed to be shipped to work. Guess good news is that it is here, bad news is that I will have to go two hours (roundtrip) out of my way to get it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

8. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Is this the 257? Looks to be about 6" wide...

Looks like those shoes are some form of Alden Indy...

9. Caboose66

Caboose66 Member

Yeah, I may bite the bullet and use the sandpaper. I've got a multi-tool that will probably help with keeping it controlled so I don't hit/weaken the stitching. Still might pursue the custom strap from Brookwood though... just to have an option and because I like his work so much.
    By the way, the backorder didn't last too long. Mine is on it's way from The Wharf Online in California as of this morning. Funny thing too because I only live about an hour away from the Filson factory/store in Seattle, yet my bag is being shipped from there to California and then back north to me. But, I saved my self a little coin and an unplanned trip to the big City.

Dean

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Looks like a 256 to me...and Red Wings.

11. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Quote:

To do the job (for me), the strap has to a) not break and b) stay on my shoulder. Filson bridle leather is strong, but the shoulder pad is almost designed to slip. I used my shoulder strap for nearly a year and gave up on it in frustration. Seems like it could be an easy fix for them--i'm hoping a little sandpaper will do the job, but wouldn't it be great if they just made one side roughout in the first place? Anyway, I'm looking forward to the fix. I have a pullman on backorder and if the treatment on my 257 works, and I'll give that shoulder strap the treatment, too!

12. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

I've had a small duffel for a few years now and a 257 for nearly six months. Never had slippage issues with either shoulder strap.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

My next purchase from Filson will likely be a pullman, I've wanted one for years. Might go tan on that one just for tradition and to me the pullman just looks good, especially in tan. If I can carry it on all the time dirt shouldn't be a problem. As long as it isn't over packed sounds like you can usually get by with it as carry on. I'm very interested in what you think of yours when you get it and start to use it. LawrenceMD posted earlier about http://hiltonstentcity.com/ and they have the pullman on sale right now plus 15% off which puts it at just under $300. Picked up a Filson Seattle weight wool vest from hiltons tent city couple of weeks ago, they were one of the only places in the country to still have it in stock.

14. luker

luker Well-Known Member

15. luker

luker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation..not in a hurry to get yet..guess I'll wait if there's any sale...