Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'd contact this guy on flickr:
    we actually exchanged PMs through flickr a couple years ago and he said he had that strap made custom. it should be easy enough to make a thick strap like that by a good leather guy. i don't think a strap has to be necessarily padded to be more comfortable - it just has to be wider to distribute the weight better.

2. stewartu

stewartu Senior member

I have both the 240 and the 256. I use the 240 as carry-on luggage and really can recommend it.

3. Northernco

Northernco Member

[​IMG]

I received my new Filson, Large Duffel and just returned from a week long trip with it from Denver to West Palm Beach, FL. Great bag, perfect size for 1 week+ and not overly large or odd. Like all my other Filson bags and clothes, very well built. Glad I got the green as it's a checked bag and will get dirty. I have a tan 257 but for checked bags I personally would only get the brown or green colors.

Next up for me is a Filson Garment Bag!

4. Northernco

Northernco Member

Anyone used the garment bag?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

5. Caboose66

Caboose66 Member

LawrenceMD,
    Thanks for the reminder about this bag. I do remember seeing it early on in my reading of this thread. I actually have been in contact with a guy who makes very nice quality guitar straps in Mechanicsburg, PA. He's willing to create a "luggage" strap for me, and I know he would do a great job. He actually was very complimentary of the Filson strap quality. If I get it and the strap pad is an issue, I think I'll ring him up for a custom strap.

Dean

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Please post some pictures of his work if you decide to go that route. Would love to see how it works out for you.

7. Caboose66

Caboose66 Member

Will do. Wasn't sure about the etiquette involved in posting names of businesses - even though I am not affiliated. If I go that route, I will post pics so that others may see if it's a viable option for them. He has some very simple, unadorned but tasteful styles that seem like they would be fairly easily modified to be appropriate for a bag - unless you really want conchos and embossed initials on your strap [​IMG].

Dean

8. David Zaritsky

David Zaritsky Senior member

Craig seen wearing the Filson backpack...he also carries the 257 in airports and on set...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. poorman

poorman Senior member

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of some guy with the otter green briefcase.
    I'm not a big fan of the green anymore. I'm glad I went with brown.

10. BUSP

BUSP Active Member

Is this the 257? Looks to be about 6" wide...

11. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

Looks like a 256

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Agree it is a good idea to wait and see. In my case yes it was too slippery most of the time. I mentioned several things I was considering but like you wanted it to match. After failing to find a gun sling pad in suede that matched perfectly said the hell with it. 2 minutes with sandpaper tonight and it is perfect. Instant rough out leather and it doesn't slip at all. I would not sand near the threads though. You can see the chunks of large leather "dust" around the edges. It cleaned up well but wanted to get a shot before dark. Will use leather conditioner this weekend on the leather.

[​IMG]

13. Caboose66

Caboose66 Member

That doesn't look bad, and I'm sure it would do the trick. Just not sure I'll be able to bring myself to break out the 60 grit and start goin' to town. Depends though... The first time I take it on a trip and it's slipping off my shoulder, I might just find myself rubbing it on the asphalt :D.
    It's on backorder from the vendor right now, so I have some time to ponder my options... At least until I get tired of waiting and order it from someone else. Has there been an issue with a shortage of these bags?

Thanks, Dean

14. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

I'm glad that this is the standing of Tom Cruise around these parts.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Actually I did use 60 grit. Started with 120 but wanted more nap and the 60 provided that. Was a bit nervous but having another identical strap on my Filson flyrod case I had a back out plan [​IMG]

A lot of Filson items are back ordered this time of year. They get hit hard over Christmas and even the custom shop stops taking orders for a few months so they can catch up. My shotgun case will not ship until sometime next month.