1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Can you sell a Filson bag for parts? I mean, gotta imagine the zippers are worth something. Lol

2. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Yes. The Midori feels like a natural complement to a Filson. I did a lot of bullet journaling for a while. I like the focus of writing the daily morning list, but it’s time consuming, and frustrating not to have it to hand on all my devices. I find the portable keyboard makes for a very pocketable solution where I can type very fast and not feel delayed by having to write by hand. But to each their own of course.

3. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I do a bit of both. I use "wunderlist" - which is a great ios app that keeps grocery lists, movies to watch, Christmas gift lists, etc. - and it's shareable across devices and family.

But, I'm also a huge fan of the Field Notes brand of notebooks. I have one with me all the time (mostly). I love it to jot down ideas, drawings of woodworking ideas, room layouts, whatever and those notes where you just don't want to pull out your phone. I even visited their factory in Chicago a while ago and they have the same vibe as the Filson stuff that so many people on this forum love. Check them out when you have a chance....

4. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I second your admiration for field notes. Awesome, no nonesense notepads made in Chicago. Can’t go wrong.

Also picked up a couple of items from Shinola here in Chicago, a Benchmade Collab Valet knife and an old school baseball. Both very cool items. Not gonna lie, the movements might not be anything special, but I really enjoyed their shop. Leathers seem to be high quality for the most part (passport cases being the exception) and USA collaborations were awesome.

5. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

True but you are the most experienced with the best selection. No denying that.

6. OtterMeanGreen

Yeah I’m not too fond of the snap enclosure either which is what I liked about my 24 Hour (no enclosure). It’s just an extra step to me and one that doesn’t really help IMO.

7. OtterMeanGreen

Lol you know it’s funny, and something I can’t speak about out loud working in technology, but I guess I enjoy things that don’t have to rely on tech (or batteries for that matter). Which is why I gravitated DE Shaving, mechanical movement watches, paper and pen, manual transmissions etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

8. OtterMeanGreen

That’s one of my goals this year; to visit more factories of products I love. Filson and The Bourbon Trail are two reachable goals this year for sure.

9. OtterMeanGreen

This is one of the funniest reviews I think I’ve ever seen involving luggage. This certainly beats out Chase Reeves’ review on the OG 24 Hour. I hope Filson doesn’t evolve into this. But what do you guys think about this technology?

Also be aware he likes to swear

10. OtterMeanGreen

I can see that filson is choosing to now over-complicate their once simplistic website by displaying every bag color on the main page, instead of seeing the color options when clicking on an individual bag. What’s left is a laggy distracting mess (IMO). Lol I’m back boys!!

CBD46862-0128-4263-9DD9-F9B05D5D72FD.png

11. OtterMeanGreen

12. OtterMeanGreen

So our little thread here is certainly growing, not only are we approaching post #10,000, but we received a mention on Styleforum's Editors wishlist. @mgrennier you gotta love that they chose a NAVY Medium Duffel as the brands representation lol.

wishlist.PNG

13. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I’m in tech too. I see this trend over and over and with increasing prevalence: that with ever more time with digital tools and screens we seem to be needing a balance by way of tangible objects and experiences - thus the tactility of pen and paper, shaving gear and of course bags that are more than chunks of extruded plastic.

14. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

Big filson fan and have several of their bags but their small wine tote is my go-to work bag:

20180227_060712.jpg

15. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I always thought the resurgence in interest in mechanical watches, Filson luggage etc is a need/desire to have at least some of your personal items not be so disposable.

Case in point, I was at a Best Buy (electronics shop) and I thought almost every item in the store would be worth a fraction of its current price in two years and you wouldn’t be able to give it away in ten (landfill). It was depressing in a way. To a lesser degree, you can extend that to many cheaply made items on the market today - even the non-tech ones.

The concept of buying something new and well-made, using some faithfully for years, and then handing it down is almost gone.