1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I agree on all levels. Filson bags are not the same, and having a lot of them is totally justifiable on a practical level. Unless you are simply a collector, I can’t say the same about automatic watches. I have seen some IWC watches that tickle my fancy. They have some amazing minimalist options that are reasonably priced second hand, so that may be my direction until I can afford to get the Rolex that I want (which is yet to be decided).

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Case in point, if you travel a lot, there will inevitably be a situation where your least used Filson will save the day.

I have to travel fora personal engagement with one overnight where I neec to pack just one suit in a small garment bag and a change of clothes. I will have to walk a lot in crowded areas so I wanted something narrow profile. Lo and behold, my old large carry-on 242 saves the day.

F65D9ACC-2B30-4E62-94A1-D4468BB9E6F9.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

Permit me a bit of OT banter...

Are we talking the venerable Ti 3536? Always one of my favorites. That bracelet is a thing of beauty, IMO.

After owning dozens of mechanical watches (before kids), I now rotate between a couple. Circa 2001 Seamaster Professional and a 2008 GMTIIC (both stainless). The coolest in the collection that doesn't get worn much is a 1967 Omega Chronostop that my mom gave my dad when they got married. It's a unique single pusher chronograph, a driver's watch designed to be worn under the wrist. I got it when he died and I love it.

4. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

That is such a classic-looking bag. Love it. Maybe post a pic next to another bag (small duffle perhaps?). I’d be interested in seeing the size.

Feels kind of like the 48 hour has “replaced” it as they seem similar.

5. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Decided to go with old reliable today. The vaunted medium duffle. This is a short trip to Austin (2 nights). A bit of overkill with the medium duffle as there is a lot of extra space in there but still - need to keep it in the rotation!

Alongside my 257.

3CF08467-6792-4220-B8C0-A2A9194CCFEC.jpeg

6. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

I’ve handled one of these recently and it’s almost exactly the same sizes as a small Pullman with a really sweet storm flap. Incredibly made bag.

7. baron_of_the_east

baron_of_the_east Member

Hi guys, I received this Filson briefcase as a gift from my friend but the shoulder pad seems to be defective. I've tried to contact Filson in the past 2 weeks through their customer service email (got a system message confirm that my request had been processed) but haven't heard back since then.
    I'm thinking about fixing it myself so I appreciate any advise you have.
    IMG_4761.JPG IMG_4769.JPG

8. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Looks ok to me. How does it feel? does it feel like leather or does it feel like paper? Does it crackle when folded? Personally, I don't think that looks like some of the bad stuff out there.

9. baron_of_the_east

baron_of_the_east Member

Thank you for your reply, it's definitely leather but the surface seems to be peeled off (sorry for my bad English, dont know the exact word to demonstrate). I've tried apply leather conditioner (using my saphir renovateur) for all the leather parts when I first got the bag but after a few wears the pad started to look like that so I think it must be a defect.

10. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

This looks pretty normal to me actually... I'll try to snap a picture of one of mine later today, but the underside of the leather is in constant friction with your shoulder when you're carrying it, so it's going to show some wear like this over time.

11. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Sorry for my absence guys the new job has me quite busy, lots to learn as it’s a brand new industry for me and the first time I’ve ever worked for a startup company (5 man team). I’m having fun though and it’s a definite learning experience.

You guys are gonna laugh at me but upon joining the team they had a little care package for me. This included a new laptop, iPad, shirts, a jacket, a kickass ogio fitted cap with company branding....and wait for it....a ballistic nylon commuter bag (with company logo embroidered on). Hahaha I know right. Little did they know they hired someone with a Filson, so they can keep it right? Wrong.

I carried my #257 for the first time my very first day and tried loading it up with my days itinerary and it wasn’t a great success. I need to buy a laptop sleeve, an iPad sleeve, definitely a midori agenda book and an organizer of some sort. Any suggestions for sleeves?

Until then this is my Daily Carry :crackup:.....at least it's not a Tumi am I right guys lol

326E3C9F-9614-47E5-BF9D-EF7ADB43CF77.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018

12. OtterMeanGreen

I'm with you on that one. The only Filson I would opt to trade for a new version is if I caved finally and bought a late model Bedrock bag. Look guys its OMG mentioning "Bedrock" and it only took 2 posts before he finally said it. You missed me don't lie :fonz:

13. OtterMeanGreen

That sounds like me, good memory. You could probably make a reference book of all the things I've said on here; although you wouldn't need more than one page lol. Bedrock pros and cons, buying pre-bedrock, Talon lol, Otter Green debut, etc. I on the other hand think I've evolved from all that, but it's nice to get nostalgic sometimes....so in that case this is why I think you should buy Pre-Bedrock...

GOTCHA!

14. OtterMeanGreen

That's what I thought too. It's great for outdoor hobbyists though, I would love to use it for my Downhill/Freeride Mountain Biking gear, so maybe one day I will buy it

15. OtterMeanGreen

So in your expertise what do you use to secure a Filson briefcase to a roller bag that doesn't have a pass-through (like a 24/48 Hour). I personally would be against using the leather straps to secure it and letting it fly all over the place and taking out random kneecaps. I suppose you could just carry it over your shoulder but it's a nice luxury when you can secure it to the top platform of your roller (Filson or not).