1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

I agree. I’d add two things though - no women here as far as I can tell, so our diversity is somewhat limited. Secondly, I’m seeing more and more people in information based jobs (ie, sitting in offices looking at screens), getting itchy fingers. We are evolved as tool makers and users, and think we yearn for tangible things that we can touch and feel, and perhaps have had a hand in making. I may be over-reaching, but the outdoorsy and slightly non-conformist nature of Filson stuff probably taps into that need in some way.
    Related - it turns out our dopamine receptors are better tuned for responding to blue and green light - in short, we like being outside. Modern offices are not good places for primitive humans!

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Not surprising to me. Probably in 1st as opposed to biz, you’re getting the truly wealthy who can pretty wear and do as they please.

I am not complaining - business class is plenty for me - as I am a man of fairly simple tastes and pleasures ;-)

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I like your digression. I always found electric better on the cheeks and chin but the razor far better under the neck line. The double edge razor can give a great shave in optimal conditions but the Fusion can give a good shave in my most jet lagged, hung over state while rushing and using cheap Barbasol.

Pragmatism always wins in the long run. If it hasn’t yet, not enough time has passed. And yes, you will all be pulling rollers in your eighties.

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

I worked in outdoorsy jobs as a teen and a young man. Every rainy or cold day, I am still greatful that I am now in a warm, dry office with a latte on my desk. I do not miss blackfly bites, nagging pain in my right arm from shoveling, wet feet and blisters.

Now being a master craftsman - like someone who handmakes fine furniture or guitars might be a different kettle of fish. But most people who work with their hands aren’t skilled or fortunate enough to that type of work.

Though I certainly understand your meaning regarding the appeal of being involved in something more tangible and tactile.

5. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

Completely off topic (or on point?), flipping through a winter 1996 catalog this morning and noticed every bag has one option,

Tan.

And I might add, the prices are dirt cheap, by today's standards that is.

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Agree wholeheartedly. I've always had an office gig my entire career - always dressing professionally and always tied to a computer. I've always yearned for the simpler life and have always enjoyed working with my hands. In fact, I went through a period of time (perhaps 10 years or so) where I built furniture. Dining room tables, an armoire or two, blanket chests, side tables, beds, etc. Still use much of that furniture in my house (mostly in cherry and maple) to this day, although I did lose the armoire in the divorce :)

My uncle, who is a psychiatrist, used to tell me that because in my work I don't 'do anything', the furniture building is my release, it fulfills man's inner desires to 'make something' and make something that will last.

I miss those days and still rue the day when I sold all my big tools on Craigslist - they literally sold within 2 days. I had a table saw, a band saw, jointer, planer, dust collection system, drill press, you name it. Had a beautiful shop full of amazing tools - used to wax them every month so they were as pristine as you can get.

I say all that to tell this forum that I believe Filson does fulfill a little bit of that inner desire in our minds. We recognize quality, we appreciate things that are made to last, and some of this stuff makes us 'feel' like a person that makes a living with our hands. (although most of us clearly don't).

I'll get back into the woodworking again one day.

7. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Thank you for this- fascinating and informative. I too understand the desire for good tools and the skills to use them well. In a way my job is connecting the tools to the people, although the tools are digital.
    I’m sure my interest in building motorcycles is the same expression you had with furniture. Each results in the tangible but also useful and artistic outcome in some way.
    I was also thinking yesterday that boots/bags/clothing are satisfying because they are very low maintenance, generally don’t break, and when chosen well improve with age. There is very little else in the world that has these characteristics. Entropy gets in the way. And thus the search for simplicity and reduction where possible.