1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Does anyone have/use the Filson travel kit? Feedback on it? I have a much less expensive kit that I use, and recently passed up on a Travel Kit that was on sale, just wondering whether people see it as something worth spending on.

2. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Short answer? Yes. The one on sale is an absolute steal for $29. It has accompanied me throughout the US and overseas and is the perfect size, specifically for business travel.

3. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Yes. I have the small travel kit and it’s excellent.

4. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

Alright, thanks for the feedback guys.

5. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I bought one and tried it - was just a wee bit too small for my for traveling. I carry a Braun electric shaver when I travel and that, combined with everything else was just a touch too small.

I gave it to my college-aged son and he loves it (it's his first Filson "bag"). I ended up going with the nylon Travel Pack. The size of it fits right between the traditional dopp kit and the smaller, triangular one (that I agree is a steal at $29.90).

Love my Travel Pack although I realize the nylon doesn't make it a TRUE Filson....

6. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

Hello all! Greetings from Italy... I've been out of the country for the last two weeks and without reliable internet for most of my time abroad. I've enjoyed checking in when I had to opportunity and catching up on the conversation I have missed... 92 unread new messages last night!

Unfortunately I did not travel with any Filson gear this trip as I needed something a little larger than any of my current bags, but not so big I couldn't carry it on the flight. I ended up traveling with a GORUCK GR1 (26L) as my personal item and a Patagonia MLC for my carry on bag. These are two other companies I love and own a lot of their gear!

While in Italy, I stumbled across a store across from the Pantheon in Rome that carried Filson. Of course I went inside to browse, but ended up purchasing an Italian made jacket by a brand, Pomandere... quality feels on par Filson and the style resembles the short cruiser mixed with one of the jackets from Rogue Territory (another brand you should check out if you haven't!)

In the air currently and on my way to ATL, should be there in 6 hours or so... then a short flight back to Texas.

It'll be good to be home.

Cheers!

7. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

At least it features some of the qualities we've come to love about Filson, like the Rugged Twill base and leather pull tabs. You have it in the "Whiskey" shade right?

8. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Got it in the Rusted Red - which is a dark orange, really. I like it. Definitely not a true Filson product in the traditional sense, but let's get real - it's a bag that will hold my toothbrush. I didn't need too fancy...

That said - it's a perfect size for me - tough as nails and scrunches down nicely when I pack it a bit less full. Lined on the inside so easy to wash out too...

9. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Interesting about the electric shaver. Contrary to the trend in mens blogs, I seem to have started with the double edge razor now mostly using a Fusion and now considering pulling out my electric Braun for travel but not sure how well it works switching back and forth between razor and electric.

I have a very nice little canvas Dopp kit from the Brooklyn based brand Boarding Pass but on most trips it takes up too much room to take.

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

Sounds like a great trip! I was in Rome last summer and I kept a lookout as apparently Filson is licensed by a local company who makes their own Filson black label products. Some with an Italian flair. But no luck! I saw a lot of leather and luggage stores but most were aimed at the tourist market and mediocre in quality.

You mentioned GORUCK and Patagonia. I took my Defy leather duffle to trip to SF. It really rocks. It’s 45L and when packed makes a nice cylindrical shape that carries real well (plus looks a little more luxe than my Filson when I am traveling business class and staying at better downtown hotels). I have got this theory now that cylindrical bags carry better - and I still got my eye on the rugged suede one from Filson.

11. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Funny isn’t it? The more I travel the scruffier I get. I went through a phase of traveling in sports coat and good loafers and using black leather Tumi. Now I’m in boots, workwear and Filson. If anything I now fit better with the first class crowd (that’s proper long haul first class) than the biz crowd..??!

12. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

What kind of work do you do Speedy? I'm in consulting so I'm usually dressed up a bit - rarely a tie, but usually slacks, dress shirt with a sport coat (although at most clients, the sport coat/suit look sticks out like a sore thumb as many of my customers are in jeans/khaki's or generally dressed down). I generally try to fly in jeans as I just think it's so much more comfortable than dress pants.

13. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I love the idea of a straight razor or the romance of a safety razor, but I also need to be somewhat practical in my day-to-day shaving rig.

At home, I love the shaving brush and lather and take my time with it, but on the road, where packing is a premium and time is, unfortunately, more of the essence, I find myself going with a combo set: A Gilette Fusion (or I've also discovered Dorco - they make the blades for Dollar Shave Club and other similar services, I understand and are a HUGE savings when buying direct) AND an electric. I do my neck with the razor and then finish up around my nose, cheeks and mouth with the Braun Series 7. My travel dopp kit (Filson Travel Pack) also always includes a tube of C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream which might be the best shaving cream I've ever used in my life... That stuff rocks...

But we digress

14. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

Tech strategy/ advisory and futurism.
    I dress for the client audience (which varies from the board to the engineering teams) but travel in what I enjoy and is comfortable. Looser pants are a must for long haul.

15. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Something that I find remarkable is the diversity of this group. I only know a few of your occupations, but I can say from memory that we have a CPA, a priest, an engineer, a consultant, and a tech strategist. Our professions are all different, yet we all have a love for this specific brand. It just goes to show how classic this brand is, and shows how it can infuse itself into any industry. I think the irony is that none of us (to my knowledge) is an outdoorsman by trade. Sort of hilarious if you ask me.