• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not a case of “made with imported materials”, as is listed for all rugged twill bags. The rolling bags are no longer made in the USA, full stop.

So you're saying that it's made in another country but with mainly materials from the United States (like the Twill and bridle leather). Seems like a grey area not seen too often. I don't have an issue with that as I stated previously, they outsourced another company that has far more experience in with plastics and rolling wheels. Our resident wheeled luggage member @mgrennier can attest to the quality of the material, if you're having an issue clearing up that pill that's seemingly hard to swallow. A way around this is to take advantage of many of their other bags that aren't wheeled that offer just as much accommodation: Large Duffel, XL Duffel, Large Pullman, Old Medium Duffel, Large Twill Carry-on (although if it's Navy and with the old slogan patch, I call it lol), Large Travel Bag, Filson #242 Carry-on, etc

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with this particular 70257?

https://www.filson.com/sale/luggage...ag-sale.html#sm.00001rqvef1case02wuhehsfowxyj

What bag is perfect for carrying a laptop and some notebooks and such to work? I thought the 257's were the oft recommend bag?

They are absolutely the best Bag for the job. Nothing is wrong with those 70257's on the surface. Besides Filson discontinuing the bag back in 9/2016 and then miraculously bringing back without any explanation, and in the two least popular colors at that. There are far better options other than price for you to consider for your first #70257. If you are like most you are buying for long term usage. Someone eloquently put it "Buy One, Cry Once", which I think applies. There's just so many better options on eBay at the moment for higher quality #70257's and even #257's when they were completely in production (all 5 colors). There's the YKK branded era and of course the Talon Era (a popular term on here). For instance I bought a early 1990's first edition "Talon Era" #257 on eBay that was used maybe 5 times at most then stored and sold (then stored again) for 20 plus years until it came into my possession. The price? $279, which is $146 less than what these bags go for retail today.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, you will quickly come to learn the our friend @OtterMeanGreen is not a fan of current filson bags. There has been some discrepancies as to whether the twill is as heavy as it once was and some recent QC issues with the leather.

With that said, I think you would be fine. The navy twill is not as heavy as the others (and never has been) but construction will be top notch, and if you get a dud with the leather Filson will work it out for you. Your call, personally, I see nothing wrong with this version.

I should also note that my observation is 257s are getting harder to find on eBay and are going for more money as of late. Just something to keep in mind.

LOL Thanks! A little credit is all I ask, as I have more than considered buying a Bedrock Journeyman and will when the right one appears down range, also I am still hunting for a Bedrock #70081 Large Twill Carry-on, and my first two Filson's were Bedrock (70257 and 24 Hour).

BillJenkins

Reaction score
So you're saying that it's made in another country but with mainly materials from the United States (like the Twill and bridle leather). Seems like a grey area not seen too often. I don't have an issue with that as I stated previously, they outsourced another company that has far more experience in with plastics and rolling wheels. Our resident wheeled luggage member @mgrennier can attest to the quality of the material, if you're having an issue clearing up that pill that's seemingly hard to swallow. A way around this is to take advantage of many of their other bags that aren't wheeled that offer just as much accommodation: Large Duffel, XL Duffel, Large Pullman, Old Medium Duffel, Large Twill Carry-on (although if it's Navy and with the old slogan patch, I call it lol), Large Travel Bag, Filson #242 Carry-on, etc

I don’t think the twill is sourced from the USA, could be wrong though.

Anyway...I have tons of bags, including a couple of the rolling duffles, (all of which have the old slogan patch, I’m also a stickler for that) so I’m mostly just whining about change I guess. I don’t really buy their line about finding a “company with more experience” for the rolling bags though. Seems like they were doing just fine previously.

It’s not necessarily a quality issue that I’m concerned about, at least not currently. I guess I’ve always feared the sort of inevitable “Eddie Bauer-ization” of the brand, and this feels like a step in that direction. Also...part of the reason I started my obsession with the brand over a decade ago was that their products were made in Seattle, my hometown.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stealing my thunder @Soletrane ? HAHAHA just kidding. I was actually gonna share that very same photo from my own issue of Men's Health (cause manly men like us need a magazine like that to stay manly lol). I did however notice that the 48 Hour wasn't even mentioned in that article, like it's just used as a prop.

Yup, just a prop. But a manly prop in a manly magazine telling us to buy manly things to be more manly (so we can be more appealing to women - by being manly men). Really just a woman’s mag in drag, if you think about.

And yes, I still thumb through it at the drug store! But seldom buy these day.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyway...I have tons of bags, including a couple of the rolling duffles, (all of which have the old slogan patch, I’m also a stickler for that) so I’m mostly just whining about change I guess. I don’t really buy their line about finding a “company with more experience” for the rolling bags though. Seems like they were doing just fine previously.

It’s not necessarily a quality issue that I’m concerned about, at least not currently. I guess I’ve always feared the sort of inevitable “Eddie Bauer-ization” of the brand, and this feels like a step in that direction. Also...part of the reason I started my obsession with the brand over a decade ago was that their products were made in Seattle, my hometown.

Oh yeah I think if memory serves me the Twill is from Ireland or Scotland. Has that always been the case though? (@GzStudio ?)

I hadn't realized the Rolling Duffel's and suitcases were that old. Did they have quality control issues? I of all people isn't going to argue with you on many of the points that you have brought up, after all it's sort of my M.O. on here lol and the result of many debates

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA Hey!!! I actually like that mask and may be ordering depending on how much travel I end up doing with the new job. In case you haven't realized by now I have quite the affinity towards anything Green, not only are my eyes green but since birth it has been my one favorite color. You might however ask yourselves how in the world I ended up buying a Tan Filson as my first.....well I guess that's good advertising for you. Here it is again (from Outside Magazine..another "manly man man man" magazine) :fonz:

View attachment 908227

Hey, a good sleeping mask can buy you an extra hour of two of sleep in some bright hotel room! I typically pack one (along with ear plugs).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, just a prop. But a manly prop in a manly magazine telling us to buy manly things to be more manly (so we can be more appealing to women - by being manly men). Really just a woman’s mag in drag, if you think about.

And yes, I still thumb through it at the drug store! But seldom buy these day.

HAHAHA well said. I figure most of you might be guilty of tucking a Men's Health Magazine or two in your document pouches of your many carry-on Filson's....no?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It may be there is this space between Eddier Bauerization and being stuck in a 1995 version of Filson forever. A retail Twilight Zone, if you will. I think it involves probably some trade-offs including higher prices and some off-shoring on some products, but still providing a lot of Made in Seattle products that appeal to longtime Filson enthusiasts.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL Thanks! A little credit is all I ask, as I have more than considered buying a Bedrock Journeyman and will when the right one appears down range, also I am still hunting for a Bedrock #70081 Large Twill Carry-on, and my first two Filson's were Bedrock (70257 and 24 Hour).
Ahh I’m just giving you a hard time, and I love all my bedrock bags and have had no issues (aside from a bad strap-which was remedied very quickly).

Isn’t this the reason you would say to stay away from the $196 257s? Thy looked pretty good to me! Lol

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may be there is this space between Eddier Bauerization and being stuck in a 1995 version of Filson forever. A retail Twilight Zone, if you will. I think it involves probably some trade-offs including higher prices and some off-shoring on some products, but still providing a lot of Made in Seattle products that appeal to longtime Filson enthusiasts.
Yes—exactly, this feels like the first domino of their bags being made overseas. I hope it is not, but as a principle I don’t like the direction.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh I’m just giving you a hard time, and I love all my bedrock bags and have had no issues (aside from a bad strap-which was remedied very quickly).

Isn’t this the reason you would say to stay away from the $196 257s? Thy looked pretty good to me! Lol

I know you were lol. That's not the only reason I, personally, would stay away from these #70257's, and actually if they offer the new "translucent" leather (which i can neither conform or deny that is even a thing as I have yet to read anything official about it), then it wouldn't be applicable here. Something just isn't right about these "versions". After all they were discontinued for over a year and now all of a sudden, without any re-introduction marketing material, they suddenly come back in just two colors (the least popular and slowest selling colors at that)? I don't trust it, especially at that low price. If there's a demand and a good price they would sell. For instance when the Longcruiser was on sale it practically sold out in a mere couple of hours.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you were lol. That's not the only reason I, personally, would stay away from these #70257's, and actually if they offer the new "translucent" leather (which i can neither conform or deny that is even a thing as I have yet to read anything official about it), then it wouldn't be applicable here. Something just isn't right about these "versions". After all they were discontinued for over a year and now all of a sudden, without any re-introduction marketing material, they suddenly come back in just two colors (the least popular and slowest selling colors at that)? I don't trust it, especially at that low price. If there's a demand and a good price they would sell. For instance when the Longcruiser was on sale it practically sold out in a mere couple of hours.
My only thought on that is that the Long Cruiser was a clearance item and the 257s were a special edition. So it seems to me that they were getting rid of the few that they had left of the long cruisers and they made a bunch of the 257s as a limited run, so there were a lot more available in the first place.

It is suspect, however, that they chose black and blue. I can't really justify that one away.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHA your Heritage Sportsman must be cowering in the corner somewhere bawling its eyes out that it wasn't included in your list. Don't they say that your first will always be the best?
True on the Heritage Sportsman. I even thought, for perhaps a minute today, that it may be time to let the old dog find a new owner.

I thought I’d NEVER say that about the Sportsman (073, not the 266). But we’ll see. I am starting to realize that I may now have too many Filson bags...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads