1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Noonan67

Noonan67 Member

I agree, I was considering the crazy price in overrating the Pappy. I agree with the Buffalo Trace, I like their white dog a lot. I'm around your age and agree that the prices have really gotten out of hand.

2. BillJenkins

BillJenkins Member

Seeing the rolling bags come up in discussion has me wondering if anyone has experience with the current offerings. With the exception of the $1300 weatherproof leather version, all of the rolling bags are no longer made in the USA. Started when the small rolling duffle was released, and the others changed around the same time. I personally won’t buy any of these imported bags, especially when they are still asking the same high prices, but curious to know how they compare to the USA made versions.

3. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

WOW. I didn’t believe you so I went and looked for myself. That is enormously disappointing. Thanks for sharing!

4. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

The leather, canvas and hardware are exactly the same. They have outsourced the wheels and plastic parts but I will say that the basic things that make a Filson are the exact same.

When I first purchased it last year, I spent a few minutes on the phone with customer service asking the same questions and, after using it now for seven months, any fears I may have had have been resolved.

5. BillJenkins

BillJenkins Member

So did customer service say the twill and leather is still cut and sewn in the USA? I would’ve thought that the plastic bits were imported previous to the listed country of origin change of the bags.

6. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

C7237831-5D47-4348-B459-2B0E6AAF243F.jpeg Men’s Health had a travel spread which featured the 48h. I notice the men mags always feature duffles or weekenders rather than the rollers most men actually carry (like mgrennier!! Just teasin’). I guess the duffle just has a more adventurous charm.

7. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

Yes but I would NEVER carry or use that weird neon green sleep mask thing!!!!!

8. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I don’t recall exactly but I believe they said that they send the twill and zippers etc to whatever country it’s made in. (Some $hithole country? - sorry. Couldn’t resist).

I got the feeling that Filson sends the stuff there and it’s finished there. That said, I really have no idea.

9. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior Member

I have that exact bag. 48 hour in Otter green. Really a great bag.

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

11. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior Member

12. BillJenkins

BillJenkins Member

I believe these originated as a collaboration with a Japanese brand called Nanamica, and were later offered by other retailers. Referred to as Filson “Red Label” for obvious reasons, they also came in navy and red. Totes, field bags, and some briefcases were also done in this style.

FYI they were of a lighter weight, 18 oz twill, which was noticeably different than the standard offering.

I liked the white with tan leather, and actually bought and returned one years ago. Didn’t like the lighter twill and the leather on the particular bag I had seemed of lesser quality. Also wasn’t really a fan of the exterior label.

13. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Well-Known Member

I think my favorite Filson bag of all time, in appearance at least (not sure about 18 oz v. 22 oz twill), is the Navy Filson x Nanamica 257 with tan leather straps. If they ever came out with that combination again, especially in 22 oz twill, I would have no choice but to purchase one.
    [​IMG]

14. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

That is a beautiful color combo. However, as some people have noted before, even the navy “22oz” twill has never been nearly as substantial than its tan and OG counterparts.

I got to handle a black twill bag and a navy twill bag, both made in 2017, and the black was noticeably more substantial. I didn’t think the difference would bother me, but after a few minutes of handling, I decided I wouldn’t want to carry the navy twill bag permanently. To each his own, but as good as the navy looks, I think the weight will keep me from ever carrying one.

15. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

lol wow what an honor, to be a victim of plagiarism on such a big platform, setting the bar I guess has its drawbacks.

AWESOME!!! Thanks