STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. woodsjw

woodsjw Senior Member

It's hard to beat the Filson Waterproof Leather briefcase... one of my all-time favorites!

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Appreciate the shout. "perfect mass produced ones sell for"? Have we come to that already, is Filson mass-produced or are they still just above niche?

Thanks for the article and an excerpt from it, I found it to be meaningful. I have massive respect for ICON, having worked in his market and witnessed first hand some of his beauties (at my time with Ferrari). His story isn't much different than a little company called "Singer". LOL the Porsche custom re-imagining company, not the sewing machine. If you can afford it, I say also well-worth the money (like ICON).

3. OtterMeanGreen

Making me jealous, I'd imagine your country doesn't have to battle with fake Cuban cigars or overpriced ones at that. It's said that there are more fake Cubans floating around here than there are authentic ones, so one must always be on guard and know what to look for when acquiring one or many (boxes). Is Pappy Van Winkle readily available also or does that come at a premium (like it does here)? Most bars will charge around $100 per snifter glass and secondary market pricing reaches over $3000 (Pappy 23).

Is White Oak Denim popular in France? Did you know their only US based Mill closed up shop recently (for good)?

4. OtterMeanGreen

Very beautiful #266. Welcome to the OG 266 club. Very happy that I happened on this on eBay and that it all worked out for you in the end, there was some doubt along the way and I wanted to keep you motivated to see it through. I gotta be honest when I was reading the paragraph above that first picture, it looked like you were holding the bag. Go and have a look, the two flannel pillows I thought were sleeves and the leather couch I thought (at first glance) was some kind of vest and the center crease was a zipper lol. No I am not drunk lol. The build tag would most likely be in one of the outer stash pockets directly underneath or attached to the Filson logo patch (zipper-less front or back behind the zipper pouches), can't imagine why he would have torn it off. Unless it being a first edition, then it's possible it didn't come with one, very much like the first edition talon bags in the 1990's.

I hope my leather will soften and lighten up just like that, being a 2010, I'd say it's possible. I am jealous of your zippers though (mine are the Filson branded YKK's).

IMG_4815.JPG

5. OtterMeanGreen

Well said on all accounts!! I wish you the only the best. Say since you're literally the first person moving to UTAH that I know I can finally share this with someone. It's apparently made for you based on what your interests and goals are. It's called Red Bull Rampage and takes place in Virgin Utah once a year. It's the biggest most extreme Mountain Biking event in the world (no exaggeration). If you ever take your medical/trauma training to the next level this could be a great opportunity for you, as you'd get plenty of work based on previous years. I used to be involved in the sport myself but had too many broken bones and injuries so I had to take it down a notch. If anything it's one heck of an event to watch in person. Not only the riders need medical treatment but the thousands of spectators do, as it's quite a trek through rocky canyons just to get to the event. Plenty of snakes and big spiders too, most of them bite lol.

JUST CLICK THROUGH THE LINK (couldn't find another one like it).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

6. OtterMeanGreen

HAHAHA cool. You may be a victim of friendly fire on that one, as that is mostly all I talk about it, although I feel like I've been a good boy lately and have evolved a little. There's always room for a resurgence though lol

7. OtterMeanGreen

8. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

It's funny where they get their titles......Not a fan of "Sell one like this" as 99% of the people are too lazy to actually use their own words.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332513154101

Also, @OtterMeanGreen - Should have a green cotton strap next week sometime.

9. Noonan67

Noonan67 Member

I want to thank the group for the heads up on the Brooks Brother sale. I purchased a small duffel in Otter Green and the Dopp kit in green as well. Otter Mean Green, what do you think of the Pappy products? My friend is a liquor salesman and I find them the most overrated product in the bourbon market. I think Blanton's is much better.

10. speedy611

speedy611 Senior Member

A few days or whatever ago we noted a new eBay seller offering a range of bags and clothes pictured against a plywood background. They were based in the Uk. I got a shirt from them today. All as advertised and I got a great price.

Turns out the seller is Stylecreep which I think is a local Uk fashion retailer. I will note that the item I got wasn’t the exact item pictured (plaid pattern was in a different place on the garment). But had tag and all good.

Worth a note - I now have 2 of the Filson vintage flannel work shirts. They are lovely, fit well and have this great slubby texture. I returned a lightweight Alaskan guide shirt because the sizing was off ( Alaska fit vs Seattle fit I think).

@TinMan3 - this is all your fault. I saw the shirt whilst in store with you. If you hadn’t been there then I wouldn’t have visited. ;-)

Happy Friday y’all.

11. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

12. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

13. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

@speedy611 I don't have any of the flannels just yet, but I have been itching to get one. Just haven't found the right price. That being said, I don't feel bad at all about your shirt purchase, because I did one worse :). I bought a large duffle in.. Otter Green!! yesterday. I'm still a little confused as to what I was thinking, but then reading through the 70 messages that took place while I was working yesterday, I saw you mention that the large duffle was great in OG because it doesn't show the the dirt as much. So I guess were even ;) haha. @OtterMeanGreen and @woodsjw your influence certainly played a part in my decision as well.

14. GzStudio

GzStudio Senior Member

No idea. Not concerned if someone tries to flip something from me. I made my money If it was sold by me. It is Their choice on what they want to do with it. This was not my bag, but it’s not a restoration bag, it’s a repaired bag being advertised as an FRD bag.

15. TinMan3

TinMan3 Senior Member

Really? That bag has enough Frankenstein qualities to where I might have believed it.