• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jbarks

Reaction score
Been lurking on SF for two years and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 256 or 257. I've looked through almost every page on this thread and still can't decide, and I'm in London where I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them. If anyone could help me out here:

I'm looking to hold a 13" MacBook, a charger, and an inch or two (usually two) of A4 notes. Maybe a small water bottle. Would the 256 be sufficient? I'll be carrying an iPad and about an inch or paper on my off days, so I don't want the 257 to be flapping around empty.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 256 will be sufficent. A 257 with only an iPad will look empty. My 257 holds 13" MacBook, 7" with books, charger, water bootle, pencil case, some lunch, headset, etc.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 256 will be sufficent. A 257 with only an iPad will look empty. My 257 holds 13" MacBook, 7" with books, charger, water bootle, pencil case, some lunch, headset, etc.

This makes me feel like I carry too much **** around. :lol:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you possibly carry more **** than me? I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse, baby!

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can you possibly carry more **** than me? I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse, baby!

It stems from lugging around my laptop, charger, mouse, cables, memory sticks, office supplies, research papers, papers to grade, lunch, four paperback monographs pertaining to my dissertation research, and four hardback textbooks pertaining to my dissertation research. My 258 handles it well. There is plenty of space left for random things which need to be added on occasion. It is rather "snug" though.

David Zaritsky

Reaction score
How are the Filson bags compared to the canvas ones at Lands End Canvas?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How are the Filson bags compared to the canvas ones at Lands End Canvas?

David, that's like asking how is the Tom Ford/Bond overcoat compared to the ones at Kohls :).

There's really no comparison. Filson will last and the company stands behind its products. Filson...made in USA of high quality materials by a company with a long history. Fairly expensive but you get what you pay for. Lands End Canvas is not in the same league.

Last edited:

David Zaritsky

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies...and the appropriate analogy for me!!! :) Sounds like I need a Filson!

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah most canvas bags are 8-14 oz or so and I think Filson is 22oz or something like that

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my 258 brown padded laptop case yesterday. About the right size for me in fact was surprised it was as small as it was after some of the posts on here. Last gf has my good camera so just crappy cell phone pics for now but here is the brown 258, Tan fly rod case, and otter green hat for comparison of the 3 colors. The tan gets dirty fast, I don't consider it as much a patina as some do. Have enough otter items already, some things from Filson only come in this color. This is the first brown item I own from them. I feel it is more professional looking than the others but flip side is it also looses something with the lack of contrast of the leather and bag material.

David Zaritsky

Reaction score
Can the 257 be used as a quick overnite bag? Has anyone done this? Or is it to compartmentalized inside? Trying to decide betwen the 256 or the 257 but the 256 looks more like it can only be used as a briefcase...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
valentines gift to the wife.

Filson red label zippered tote. I'm actually curious to see how this looks beat up and patina-ed.

There are some differences compared with the normal filson zippered tote bag:

-the bridle leather is light brown
-the label (in red) is on the outside of the bag (not hidden covered by the flap)
-the outside pockets have a button to hold them down.
- it comes in navy blue, white, and red.

this particular bag was purchased from hiltonstentcity.com (with the aforementioned discount code mentioned in a previous post).

6886612681_6a9d4ee05a_z.jpg

6886611429_d1af7f794d_z.jpg

6886612245_bd620e86ba_z.jpg

6886611845_e9b95c7ff0_z.jpg

6886613627_7536548a1e_z.jpg

6886613177_18f73dffbb_z.jpg

6886611065_cbc9c92a8d_z.jpg

Other than that its the same dimensions as the normal filson zippered tote.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads