Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jbarks

jbarks New Member

Been lurking on SF for two years and finally decided to pull the trigger on a 256 or 257. I've looked through almost every page on this thread and still can't decide, and I'm in London where I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them. If anyone could help me out here:

I'm looking to hold a 13" MacBook, a charger, and an inch or two (usually two) of A4 notes. Maybe a small water bottle. Would the 256 be sufficient? I'll be carrying an iPad and about an inch or paper on my off days, so I don't want the 257 to be flapping around empty.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

The 256 will be sufficent. A 257 with only an iPad will look empty. My 257 holds 13" MacBook, 7" with books, charger, water bootle, pencil case, some lunch, headset, etc.

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

This makes me feel like I carry too much shit around. :lol:

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

How can you possibly carry more shit than me? I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse, baby!

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

It stems from lugging around my laptop, charger, mouse, cables, memory sticks, office supplies, research papers, papers to grade, lunch, four paperback monographs pertaining to my dissertation research, and four hardback textbooks pertaining to my dissertation research. My 258 handles it well. There is plenty of space left for random things which need to be added on occasion. It is rather "snug" though.

6. David Zaritsky

David Zaritsky Senior member

How are the Filson bags compared to the canvas ones at Lands End Canvas?

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

David, that's like asking how is the Tom Ford/Bond overcoat compared to the ones at Kohls :).

There's really no comparison. Filson will last and the company stands behind its products. Filson...made in USA of high quality materials by a company with a long history. Fairly expensive but you get what you pay for. Lands End Canvas is not in the same league.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I haven't handled an LEC bag, but I would assume that the filson one would be heftier.

9. David Zaritsky

Many thanks for the replies...and the appropriate analogy for me!!! :) Sounds like I need a Filson!

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah most canvas bags are 8-14 oz or so and I think Filson is 22oz or something like that

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Got my 258 brown padded laptop case yesterday. About the right size for me in fact was surprised it was as small as it was after some of the posts on here. Last gf has my good camera so just crappy cell phone pics for now but here is the brown 258, Tan fly rod case, and otter green hat for comparison of the 3 colors. The tan gets dirty fast, I don't consider it as much a patina as some do. Have enough otter items already, some things from Filson only come in this color. This is the first brown item I own from them. I feel it is more professional looking than the others but flip side is it also looses something with the lack of contrast of the leather and bag material.
    [​IMG]

12. David Zaritsky

Can the 257 be used as a quick overnite bag? Has anyone done this? Or is it to compartmentalized inside? Trying to decide betwen the 256 or the 257 but the 256 looks more like it can only be used as a briefcase...

13. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I am an overpacker, so I might not be able to use the 257 as an overnighter, but I think some people would be able to pull it off.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

valentines gift to the wife.

Filson red label zippered tote. I'm actually curious to see how this looks beat up and patina-ed.

There are some differences compared with the normal filson zippered tote bag:

-the bridle leather is light brown
    -the label (in red) is on the outside of the bag (not hidden covered by the flap)
    -the outside pockets have a button to hold them down.
    - it comes in navy blue, white, and red.

this particular bag was purchased from hiltonstentcity.com (with the aforementioned discount code mentioned in a previous post).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other than that its the same dimensions as the normal filson zippered tote.