• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dgonsh

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I ordered a 256 in tan from Glens (the only one they had in stock) a couple weeks ago with the discount. but they don't have the rucksack. are you saying they'll order it? i was very satisfied with Glen's customer service.

I actually just found a place id never heard of, WorkingPerson.com who have it on sale for $207 and then I found a company discount code for 10% off bringing it to $186 including shipping (not to canada, but i have a friend in buffalo i can ship to). Im sure I cant beat that for a brand new one.

260- 25% from glens would be $195 if my math is correct.

mcbrown

Reaction score

Damn, now I'm getting second thoughts about ordering brown over green. I also thought the green looked a little nicer, initially, over the brown as well; but I also thought it looked a little too "wilderness wanderer" for me. I was hoping that, the brown would look nicer over time as it supposedly fades a little, giving a nice contrast to the leather of the straps. *sigh* Oh well, I'll otter green next time if I buy something else from them. How long have you had yours?

Only a few months - not enough to begin to opine on how the brown will wear.

dgonsh

Reaction score
Good news! So I checked and for some reason the Otter Green Rucksack was being offered at http://www.workingperson.com for $187, $20 less than the Tan Version. This made no sense, so I chatted with their online chat and explained the situation. She understood and credited me the difference.

So with the extra 10% off with code "TY2012", I got the tan rucksack brand new, shipped, for $166, $11's less than what it would have cost to win the used one ebay, and almost $100 less than the filson site.

Crazy!

P.s. they have a bunch of other filson bags on sale plus the 10% off coupon i found. Great day!
Thanks! Yeah, I ordered a 256 in tan from Glens (the only one they had in stock) a couple weeks ago with the discount. but they don't have the rucksack. are you saying they'll order it? i was very satisfied with Glen's customer service.

I actually just found a place id never heard of, WorkingPerson.com who have it on sale for $207 and then I found a company discount code for 10% off bringing it to $186 including shipping (not to canada, but i have a friend in buffalo i can ship to). Im sure I cant beat that for a brand new one.

260- 25% from glens would be $195 if my math is correct.

Last edited:

Northernco

Reaction score
Yeah, working person seems to have great prices. I just ordered a Filson Garment Bag which is $550 on Filsons site and with 3 day shipping got it from workingperson.com for $460 INCLUDING the shipping. Thanks for the tip & coupon code!!!!

Anyone on here used the Filson Garment Bag?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had this for a few weeks now. My old satchel/briefcase/whatever died, so I replaced it with this, my new Filson 258:
6818557941_544792c426_b.jpg

Filson is the best. I use mine (256) almost every day to go to work. Enjoy it!!!

That's what I use this for. I thought about something smaller, but the 257 is only slightly larger than my last bag was, which was itself already over filled. The 258 is gigantic however, and has room to spare even with all of the things I carry every day.

Gigantic as is bulky (?) It is also $100 more. Do you have another filson you could post a comparison picture with? (This probably belongs in the Filson thread...
mwink%5B1%5D.gif
)

Sounds like a good idea.

Gigantic as in... spacious. I will try to post some pics this week of what all I carry in it, but the rundown is my laptop w/ accessories, a small library of books and papers for research, and and a closet's worth of supplies. I had been able to fit most of this in my previous bag, which was rather more sleek, but stretched to the max with everything in it. the 258 on the other hand really seems to be about half way between satchel and carry on. Were I to need it, I am certain that I could still fit a change of clothes into the bag without needing to move anything to the outer pockets. It's my first Filson though, so I don't really have any way to compare it to other models.

msmatlock

Reaction score
Nice find fellas.

Just ordered:

workingperson.com
Filson #257 - Otter Green
MSRP $260, marked down from $245 to $230.40
Promo Code "TY2012" knocked off $23.04
Free Shipping

Total: $207.36

Can't beat it.

===
marshallmatlock.com

Good news! So I checked and for some reason the Otter Green Rucksack was being offered at http://www.workingperson.com for $187, $20 less than the Tan Version. This made no sense, so I chatted with their online chat and explained the situation. She understood and credited me the difference.

So with the extra 10% off with code "TY2012", I got the tan rucksack brand new, shipped, for $166, $11's less than what it would have cost to win the used one ebay, and almost $100 less than the filson site.

Crazy!

P.s. they have a bunch of other filson bags on sale plus the 10% off coupon i found. Great day!

domyen

Reaction score
Heads up, workingperson charges sales tax in CA, MI and IN. So the price is on par with Cranes.
Also Glens Outdoors isn't that great of a deal since their markup is already 15-20 above MSRP.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Heads up, workingperson charges sales tax in CA, MI and IN. So the price is on par with Cranes.
Also Glens Outdoors isn't that great of a deal since their markup is already 15-20 above MSRP.

The 257 from Glen was $206.25.

dgonsh

Reaction score
Good stuff, guys! Glad my find benefitted some of you as well!

WorkingPerson let me know that it would take 5 or 6 days to receive the rucksack from filson since they dont stock it. But that's fine. Im in no rush. So long as I receive my bag by July ;)

localman

Reaction score
Glen's must have raised the price due to the surge of purchases. My 257 cost $195 shipped. Code is still working though with the price hike it's a significantly lesser discount.

ap10046

Reaction score

Sounds like a good idea.
Gigantic as in... spacious. I will try to post some pics this week of what all I carry in it, but the rundown is my laptop w/ accessories, a small library of books and papers for research, and and a closet's worth of supplies. I had been able to fit most of this in my previous bag, which was rather more sleek, but stretched to the max with everything in it. the 258 on the other hand really seems to be about half way between satchel and carry on. Were I to need it, I am certain that I could still fit a change of clothes into the bag without needing to move anything to the outer pockets. It's my first Filson though, so I don't really have any way to compare it to other models.

Your bag's 2 year old brother saying hello!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hilton's Tent City has a 15% off coupon for all Filson Products: FSNREG11

The best part is the free ground shipping for orders over $50.00

I just picked up a zippered tote bag for $114.75

the 256 will come out to $182.75 and 257 $221.00.

If you see a lower price they'll match it. You just have to call them. I've actually price matched through them a lot (even on super heavily discounted items) and they were always cool about pricematching.

facet

Reaction score
So I received my filson 256 last week (it ended up being about $170 altogether from Cable Car Clothiers with the discount) and have to report that I'm very pleased and impressed by it so far. It feels incredibly sturdy. As promised, pics of it in brown. I'm not much of a photographer so I tried taking pics of it different settings as it seems to affect how the colour looks.

Inside:

Outside:

Comparing my pics with the Otter Green, I do think that the green looks better as there is more of a contrast between the brown of the straps with the green of the canvas. Having said that, I still like the colour of the brown and hope that it will age well over time.

Last edited:

luker

Reaction score
I'm considering the brown for office environment although color wise prefer the tan with more contrast..thanks for posting yours they look great
smile.gif
not many pics of a well aged brown I can find..

anyway would a medium field bag (232) looks ok for office wear?How does it compare between the 232 and the carry on small bag (240)(I think it will be better to have the zip to secure the items)?any comments?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics