• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a simple matter of referencing. Since the leather can't be judged until it ages and the twill would have to be measured (and who has time for that lol). It's just easier to differentiate by zippers, which in this case makes it harder........cause you know there are none. We would have to solely rely on the build tag, if there is indeed one, to determine what quality to expect in the long run. To simplify things; it would be like comparing a modern day small duffel to your first edition talon era version. Both are the same on design (even have the same build number), but I'm positive you can tell the difference between the two in a heartbeat. Although it certainly helps having visual aides, like zippers. Especially if its an alleged first edition bag in new-like condition, but the leather and twill has yet to age like yours.

Thanks! I got it now.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 891322 I can't wait until one of you pick up one of these and post some RL pics. If leather easily picks up nicks and scratches and suede is too delicate, maybe roughout is the ultimate material.

Interesting new design, I spy no storm flap, it seems like Filson is having a fit of nostalgia lately; from bringing back discontinued bags (like the Sportsman & #70257), to utilizing pad-less shoulder straps and now featuring a duffel without a storm flap. Wonder what will come next, interested to say the least.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5286.JPG
Speaking of roughout. This one looks a LOT like a 256.

woodsjw

Reaction score

GzStudio

Reaction score
View attachment 891322 I can't wait until one of you pick up one of these and post some RL pics. If leather easily picks up nicks and scratches and suede is too delicate, maybe roughout is the ultimate material.

I am having trouble figuring out what to do with my 'bonus' money from Filson ( I have till the 20th to spend it) and I am still thinking about this one....

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 891385 Speaking of roughout. This one looks a LOT like a 256.

Nice! Who was the designer? The only thing that doesn't seem to blend well is the leather choice, it's too soft looking. They could've went with a tougher bridle leather I think.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! Who was the designer? The only thing that doesn't seem to blend well is the leather choice, it's too soft looking. They could've went with a tougher bridle leather I think.

I think I generally tend to be more to the Trad end of the spectrum than the Rustic end in terms of Heritage goods. But the roughout bags have really captured my interest for some reason.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble figuring out what to do with my 'bonus' money from Filson ( I have till the 20th to spend it) and I am still thinking about this one....

Got my fingers crossed you do buy it. If it ever goes on sale, I might sell off others I have and buy it.

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
[/ATTACH]
Just a simple matter of referencing. Since the leather can't be judged until it ages and the twill would have to be measured (and who has time for that lol). It's just easier to differentiate by zippers, which in this case makes it harder........cause you know there are none. We would have to solely rely on the build tag, if there is indeed one, to determine what quality to expect in the long run. To simplify things; it would be like comparing a modern day small duffel to your first edition talon era version. Both are the same on design (even have the same build number), but I'm positive you can tell the difference between the two in a heartbeat. Although it certainly helps having visual aides, like zippers. Especially if its an alleged first edition bag in new-like condition, but the leather and twill has yet to age like yours.

My alleged first edition bag in new-like condition with the leather and twill yet to age like Soletrane's.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 1.06.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 1.07.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 1.21.08 PM.png

Tom Lebrando

Reaction score
Is this a bag in your possession? very cool.

Thanks for the nod, GZ. Yes. It was a pretty lucky find and another one of my great causes of "patina anxiety." I know, I know, I know .... these are meant to be used, but this almost feels like a museum piece. It turns out the leather starts out pretty reddish on these first bags. I am going to guess the formula for the leather preservative has changed. The leather underside is immaculate. Not suede-y or rough, just smoothness everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads