Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Some updated images of my almost 3 yr old 256 in tan. The bag averaged 2-3 round trip flights a month for the first 2 yrs and 1 round trip flight a month since then. It's still barely broken in. You'll note the shoulder strap seems more worn than the rest of the leather and that's because I took the strap off a very old 257. The original strap on the 256 was just a hair too long on its shortest setting and rather than have a new hole punched, I just switched straps. I carry standard every-day-carry/business items and a 15" laptop in a sleeve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've received several comments about it over the years but these two stick out.

While walking through Neiman Marcus, an SA spotted it across the floor and came over to take a closer look. Was impressed to see a broken-in Filson in the wild and even said, "You have good taste in bags."

The other less complimentary comment came from a colleague who said my briefcase reminded him of the 'Satchel' worn by the Zach Galifianakis character in 'The Hangover', i.e., looks like a purse. Note, he's from Kansas...so what does he know? :) No offense to anybody who lives in KS.

I condition the leather bits about once a year with Obenauf LP. I should probably apply a coat soon. It looks thirsty.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Your 256 looks newer than my 18 month old 261.

[​IMG]

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Now that you mention it, I didn't get it in 2007, it was 2009.

4. Pennypacker

Pennypacker Member

On Anthony Bourdain's "The Layover," I noticed that he uses what looks like an otter green 257. Sorry, no pics.

5. jergensCsquad

jergensCsquad Active Member

Month old otter green 257 i've been carrying this bag about 3 days a week to school. Awesome upgrade from my old patagonia messenger bag.

OK upside down cell pics don't do a Filson justice. . . here you guys go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Carrying, 13" MB, charger, couple pads of paper, a big textbook, a little textbook, blade, pen, pencil.

[​IMG]

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks!! Code still works on all Filson items. Just ordered a hat and 52" unscoped gun case to go with my Filson Fly Rod case which I've had for a few years. They will both go on the wall as part of the interior decoration of my home, they are a work of art as far as I'm concerned. Almost pulled the trigger on a Pullman bag. Been waiting for years to get one but threw in a brush hat instead, sighhhh. Had to pay tax but still a great deal.

7. facet

facet Senior member

Just another heads up on a sale from another thread. After going through this entire thread, and racking my brain on whether to go with the brown or otter green (tough decision, both look so nice), I finally took advantage of Cable Cars Clothiers' 30% Off Sale and got the 256 in brown. It ended up being $168 with shipping and taxes, so I figured that was as good a deal as I was going to get for it. Looking forward to getting it and I'll post some pics when I do as there seems to be a dearth of photos it in brown, relative to the others.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Shipping is pretty expensive at $17, but went ahead and pulled the trigger on a otter green 256. Was also considering the brown like you, but feel that the otter will age better.

I didn't see the option for a handgrip, but left a note that I wanted one in case they could accommodate.

9. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Would really appreciate you posting the coupon code (if needed) since you referenced the sale.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

no codes needed for cable car

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

11. Biguntx

Biguntx Member

Still works! Just ordered a 258 for 25% off! I appreciate this site and contributors like you. Thanks

12. Pennypacker

Pennypacker Member

Correction: Bourdain seems to have an otter green 258:

[​IMG]

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

After going back and forth with myself for way too long just ordered the 258 in Brown. The 25% off is no longer valid at Glens Outdoors. Ended up ordering it from Cable Car and even though the Brown isn't in stock he gave me the 30% off with estimated ship date Feb. 7. Very cool. Received an email from Glens that the gun case wasn't in stock and expected ship date is March 2. LOL thanks for helping me spend more money you bastages!! [​IMG]

When the bag shows up I will also take some pictures for color comparison as I have some Filson gear in Tan and Otter green already.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I also received an email from Cable Car notifying me that my 256 in Otter Green is on backorder until 25 February. They are honoring the promo price for me when it ships.

15. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Thanks for the tip about Glens. I ordered a 257 in Otter Green.