Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

2. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

My first real Filson was the 24 hour bag (called the 72 hour bag when I bought it). I was at first worried about the tan (WAY over that now, BTW) so I got it in Navy. I loved, loved, loved that bag - OMG is right that the front pockets are amazing (and the little pockets behind the front pockets are PERFECT for a water bottle, etc.).

After about 8 months of moderately hard traveling use, the zipper on one of the front pockets ripped. I was going through Detroit (my original hometown, BTW) so I stopped into their Detroit store to talk about my options. He decided right then and there that, instead of sending it back for repair, he'll just give me a brand new one from the backroom. I decided to get the Tan and give up my beloved Navy.

So that puts me in the unique position of being able to personally assess the tin cloth in both Navy and Tan.

I will say, that it is NIGHT AND DAY.

The Tin Cloth is less durable - very small tears were showing through in the 4 corners on the bag bottom and the zipper material on the front pockets was laughably NOT to Filson standards. Plus, the Tan Tin cloth, much like the picture you've posted just looked "dirty" - not "patina'd" but just dirty. If you see them side-by-side, it's very apparent. Dirt on the heavy twill looks "aged". Dirt on the Tin cloth looks like crap.

Now, if Filson were to release a bag in heavy twill with the pockets on front, it would be very hard for me to NOT give Filson some more money. Those pockets on the front of the 24 hour bag are beyond useful.

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I like the worn look but not too waxed. Rewaxed twill seems to result in the same dirt accumulation that mgrennier mentions above with the tin cloth bags. I find even my old twill bags are still plenty water-resistant for my purposes. Yeah, so I guess my ideal is 'broken in' (soft faded leather and twill) not 'broken down' (broken zipper, stitching coming apart).

If I thought the new bags would age anything like the old ones, I would happily buy new or nearly new and break them in myself. But most of the forum regulars know that the bags made in the last decade or so often have the amazing new Pitted Ever-BrownTM leather which can be hit and miss.

Unfortunately, as this is the main Filson forum on the net, others have clued in and Talon era bags are getting scarcer and more expensive thanks to all of our incessant talk about its merits.

Filson knows this and prominently features their older, perfectly worn bags in their stores and catalogs.

The only newer bags which I have been happy with are my Sportsman 266 (2013) which somehow has decent leather (though it won't likely fade into that classic red-brown). And my heavy tin bags because the heavy tin is such a great tough material that it makes 22oz twill look like tin cloth in comparison. Perfect for bags that will see a lot of abuse.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017 at 6:26 PM

4. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

Lucky for you that's a capsule collection Filson did with Vans that's been pretty popular on the resale market recently. A bit larger than the standard rucksack with additional padding on the shoulder straps.