Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

I almost certain you're right on many different degrees. Yes the current leather quality is definitely up for debate and the longevity of that leather is also a debate question. I certainly don't want to spend all that money on an item that isn't the usual Filson quality that we are use to. I did check out Tanner Goods prior to my search was attracted to the Cognac in Standard with stainless hardware. I was also interested in Saddleback but am not really a fan of the the hardware layout.

Does Tanner offer a lifetime warranty for belts...for that matter does anyone offer a lifetime warranty for belts?

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I am happy to be educated if the Filson belts are of higher quality bridle leather than current Filson luggage straps with quality hardware. But I personally don't worry too much about a lifetime warranty on a less than satisfactory quality product (wherein the replacement would likely also have the same quality issues).

Also, I don't see quality belts failing as the construction is so simple. For example, I have several bridle leather belts ranging from J Crew to a London craft market stall - all have been good to great quality leather with no QC issues.

Shopcanoeclub.com has a nice belt in 'natural' which will patinate to a very nice medium brown with use. I have seen some photos of patinated natural belts and the color is hard to equal with dyed leather like Filson, imho.

3. AC74

AC74 Member

I would however expect all rivets in place on their belts. If this is the items they shoot for the online shop, what is the quality you get delivered...? o_O

20171021_214641.png

4. Hugekebab

Hugekebab New Member

Hi all,

Just joined the forum. I'm interested in getting a filson, either the standard briefcase, the padded computer bag, or if I can possibly afford it, the 48 hour duffle. Just wondering if the briefcase could hold a 14 inch thinkpad, along with a p[air of trainers e.g. chucks, and a pair of shorts, t shirt and smallish gym towel? If not, would the computer bag be able to take that? Just prefer the look of the brief over the computer bag. TBH, I'd get the duffle, but I feel it's somewhat overpriced, especially given the fabric shoulder strap.

Ta all

5. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Welcome! I’m guessing you are in the UK or from there? In which case the first thing is to find a way for you not to pay UK retail price for Filson bags!
    As to which one. I have both the briefcase, the computer bag and the 48h duffle.
    The duffle is too big for daily briefcase duties. It’s a lovely bag but probably not what you need.
    The briefcase is great. It will take your laptop no problem. It would probably take the shoes /shorts/ shirt, but the towel would be a very tight fit I’d suggest.
    Computer bag will take all of what you are asking. And the front pocket means that when the main is full of gym stuff the other items like headphones and pens are easier to get too. I use this as my main daily bag.
    Now, all that said, there is the now discontinued large briefcase (coded as the 257). Its as capacious as the computer bag (because even though smaller doesn’t have the padding). They can be found used on eBay. One of our regulars here (@GzStudio) might be able to assist as he does some trade in these items.
    As you will no doubt have seen from previous posts we really like the durability, practicality and aesthetics of these goods. The prices are seemingly expensive but they are life long purchases and bring great enjoyment in daily use.
    Cheers!

6. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Otter - I don’t have the belt with me so can’t measure the thickness for you. Bit yes, absolutely it’s a multi decade item. Also, the leather feels totally different to the bag strap leather. It’s thicker and the reverse is quite smooth, without the roughness or whatever of the worst of the bedrock handles.

7. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Yikes. Definitely in the category of "what were they thinking??"

In no way am I trying to discount Speedy's positive experience, but I would just say to check out the Filson one carefully at a store including the leather and the quality of the buckle. I seem to remember reading some "it's not made like it used to be" comments a while back on the Filson belt. Bridle leather belts with nice brass or nickel buckles are just too plentiful online from Etsy to Equus to get stuck with a bad one.

8. Hugekebab

Hugekebab New Member

Hi mate,

Yes, unfortunately from the UK, which is not great when buying a filson. I have seen a 257 for sale used...I will consider. If/ When I buy a filson it will certainly be on ebay, as I've yet to see a good retail deal. I did find a computer bag for 250, but it's otter green or blue and I wanted black. Also, tbh, I find the look of the computer bag iffy...too boxy. The 257 though is awesome. At the moment I manage to fit my gym kit in the mid compartment of an eastpak backpack. Wish I could see a filson to try, but difficult.

9. GzStudio

GzStudio Well-Known Member

The 257 will more than handle your laptop as will the 256. I attached a picture showing a 13” MacBook in a Filson Restoration 256. I do have a black 257 listed currently....you can’t go wrong getting used in my opinion. 77B72DE4-F126-4530-92F7-2A4D83CAFF7A.jpeg

10. GzStudio

11. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Fair enough. Where are you based? Obv London Filson store would give you hands on.
    The other option might be a 48h briefcase rather than the duffle. Extra outside pockets. But tin cloth not twill so depends on your view of that material.
    I have to say that gzstudios black 257 sounds perfect for your needs. I don’t know how common the black versions are, so you might be able to get exactly what you want.

12. Hugekebab

Hugekebab New Member

Thanks mate. Do you reckon there's room in that 256 for a pair of chuck taylors, shorts, t shirt and a small towel on top of the laptop?

Also, got a link to your 257 black listing?

Thanks pal

13. Hugekebab

Hugekebab New Member

In germany at the moment, but not in any of the big cities. I guess they probably have a shop in Berlin, but expensive to get up there by train.

14. GzStudio

http://stores.ebay.com/gzstudio77

You’d be better off with a 257. The 256 would work, but at 4” thick, it bellows if over filled and hard to close up. The 257 is a bit thicker that allows more things inside.