Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. GzStudio

GzStudio Well-Known Member

I do not think it is the receipt as I know this cost more than $44 in 1994.

I agree with the old stuff (minus the 48 hour bag as I do like that) as I have many curly shagged rough-out straps on some of the bags in my vault, even pre-bedrock aquisition. The rough-out suede straps are prized in my opinion.

2. AC74

AC74 New Member

Yup, the 48 hr duffle bag is really nice. However made of tin cloth...

I have the small tin cloth rucksack. Really like the fabric, much more "life" than the - when new that is - quite dull twill/canvas, but it does not seem at all as durable as the twill/canvas. I have also read other posts where people have had holes in the tin cloth just out of normal wear. The parts of my rucksack where it is constantly wrinkled (topmost part where the string runs) show signs of this, small holes form in the "sharpest wrinkles".

Is the 48 hr duffle a safe buy regarding this... Hmm

3. GzStudio

GzStudio Well-Known Member

Yes, tin cloth is a different animal over the twill. I love tin cloth. The key is to re-wax stress areas. It has good abrasion resistance, but it is not as dense as the twill. The heavy tin in my opinion is bomb-proof. That is my favorite material and wish they made more bags out of it. I have and use the 48 hour. Obviously I am not taking this bag out in the field as I do not think it is meant for that. I wouldn't think twice on buying the 48 (at a discount).

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I have a briefcase (not Filson) made out of a material of similar weight and feel to Filson's tin cloth (manufactured out of US made Martexin cloth). I use it for travel rather than edc so harder to evaluate its durability. Though I appreciate it's lighter weight and ability to expand to carry larger than normal loads. The bag is also lined with with a cotton lining which I appreciate - which offsets the lighter outer weight material nicely.

On the other hand, I have two pieces from Filson made of their 34oz heavy tin. Both pieces get hard use - one as a checked bag and the other as a gym bag. And for these uses, the heavy tin is probably the best fabric I can think of in terms of both looks and function.

So I think there's room for of waxed cotton in varying weights depending on usage.

5. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

Florida sun has some pretty powerful rays, I think you should be more than fine. We're heading into the colder months of New Jersey so I'm literally salivating at the thought of my last fall trip down there. HAHA yeah you can't have that, unless they are fellow Filsonado's, they simply won't understand the must of a vintage Filson.

I'm not a Vodka man so I can't recommend anything, although if you have access to it; "Dry Fly Small Batch" was pretty decently rated, but it's not exactly cheap like "Popov"

6. OtterMeanGreen

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! Wish I had the same luck with my 3 owner #257 (me being the third owner). I searched high and low for anything that could date it, but came up empty-handed until one of our conversations (which is quite dated judging by all the new content from this forum). Good luck on Instagram, I know people who swear by it and use only that to promote their business. I think I'd be more a fan of Instagram than say Twitter (which I never was a fan of)

BTW: Nice avatar (you took what @mgrennier said to heart :fonz:)

7. OtterMeanGreen

LOL Glad you didn't say I had anything to do with that decision...Although I have my eye on (Bedrock) Filson's Bridle Leather Belts (one: 1-1/2" in brown/ two 1-1/4" in brown and black) both with stainless buckles. Unless of course anyone here would advise against that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 12:15 PM

8. OtterMeanGreen

Just finished my daily (yes i said daily) eBay search for Filson bags. I try to make it a habit to search both new and used listings, because you never know when you will find that next hidden gem. That's exactly how I found my barely used 1990's #257 and barely used 2010 #266. Speaking of the Sportsman Bag; does anyone else think these pictures are off-putting? Is this possibly another mutant Filson or are they just suffering from horrid picture quality? I personally think the cotton webbed strap is what's throwing me off here, however, it's odd that the shape is compromised (these things usually hold their shape even when empty)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Spo...018466?hash=item25e2a16722:g:D4wAAOSws6ZZ5mIz

9. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Otter - I have one of the 1.5 in belts in the lighter tan with brass hardware. It’s rock solid. I’ve had it 6 months and it’s barely broken in yet.

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

OMG, I know I am more open to non-Filson goods than most of the forum regulars, but I got to say that there are many small producers of bridle and full grain belts online like Tanner Goods just to name one. I got to believe that given feedback on recent Filson leather, some have to be producing better quality belts. At least with the Filson bags, regardless of leather, the Filson twill and design is still best in class. But belts are all about the leather.

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Some pix of this "tablet" case I just picked up. It's a tablet case, but fits my 15" Macbook just great. Some observations:

The inner white tag sez "Made in USA of imported components". Different from my 3 YO 256, which just said Made in USA. This may be my everyday commuting case b/c I don't really fill up my 256 that much unless I'm travelling.

Wish the strap was made of bridle leather.

Also, the link for this is only available for the Filson UK site. Maybe it's just for the European market? https://www.filson.com/uk/tablet-briefcase.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]