• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GzStudio

Reaction score
Cool video. You can almost smell the musty canvas and worn leather in that room. I need to make a trip to Seattle one day. We should all do a meet-up there with Filson bags, whiskey and cigars.

I'd be all for that. I'm heading to Seattle next month....you know where I'll be stopping ;)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the longer straps tend to come with the smaller bags. The larger duffles have shorter straps. I have noticed that I do not get or have the same size strap for the identical bags. I think I have like at least 5 talon 256's at home, 2 257's, and 1 talon 258. I might take a look late and compare...

I realize you are selling those Talon era bags and not amassing a Talonite arsenal, but I don't know how you do it!! I couldn't be surrounded by all those one-of-a-kind masterpieces all day; the smell of all that pre-bedrock leather and the vintage twill....I'd have a constant woody to be totally honest :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My feeling is there are 2 strap lengths, but I couldn’t say which applies where. I seem to recall the Filson site selling replacements and offering 2 sizes also.
Certainly my first Filson (258) has a really long strap and I ended up putting a couple more holes in it.
Is it possible that longer on briefcases was intended to enable cross body, Wuxi is less likely for a duffle?

Cross Body with a fully loaded Talon era Medium Duffel??? We all can't be "Men Men Men men MANLY men men men" like our friend @Soletrane

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked the Filson site, looks like they sell them in three lengths. I bought one a few years ago because I didn't like the nylon strap for my 24 hour brief. The woman from Filson recommended the longer one so I bought that one and it was very long - left a lot of extra strap flapping around. I even cut it down a bit but never did like the "improvement" I made.

https://www.filson.com/leather-shoulder-strap-with-pad.html

Since the straps I was referring to are Pre-Bedrock, Talon era pad-less straps I'd be even more curious to see if they offered the same options way back when....or if each bag had it's own length based upon the functions and intended usage

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool video. You can almost smell the musty canvas and worn leather in that room. I need to make a trip to Seattle one day. We should all do a meet-up there with Filson bags, whiskey and cigars.

You had me at Whiskey and Cigars.....I AM SO THERE......only bring a gas mask cause I don't think you could take anymore mustiness after your "little" Talon era 256 project :rotflmao:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You had me at Whiskey and Cigars.....I AM SO THERE......only bring a gas mask cause I don't think you could take anymore mustiness after your "little" Talon era 256 project :rotflmao:
I'm going to brave it out and take it on the road with me next week. I'm home this week so it's currently sitting outside in the Florida sun - trying to dry it out as much as I can. Not too bad, really, but I'm most worried when I'm sitting in a small conference room with my customer and it smells like an old Army Surplus store in there.

I may spray it with some cheap vodka as has been recommended but, since life is too short to drink cheap anything, I don't have any cheap vodka on hand.

GzStudio

Reaction score
I realize you are selling those Talon era bags and not amassing a Talonite arsenal, but I don't know how you do it!! I couldn't be surrounded by all those one-of-a-kind masterpieces all day; the smell of all that pre-bedrock leather and the vintage twill....I'd have a constant woody to be totally honest :fonz:

It is nice to have all these bags. Hard to sell them as well, but it's what I'm doing. No need to hoard as I have a good amount of $ currently invested in my stock. I keep and use my favorites and move on when another beauty comes along. 'vintage' market has slowed a little bit right now and should pick up shortly, I will be ready. I do enjoy seeing my rack of bags on a daily basis though :)

I'm trying this Instagram thing and might be able to help move some product...Those pics were my first, but not my last. going to try again today with another lovely 256 and tote.

Speaking of that tote, I was cleaning it this morning in anticipation of taking a picture and was able to paper date the tote thanks to a receipt inside. Leather is absolutely amazing for this talon era tote....

IMG_7816.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is nice to have all these bags. Hard to sell them as well, but it's what I'm doing. No need to
It is nice to have all these bags. Hard to sell them as well, but it's what I'm doing. No need to hoard as I have a good amount of $ currently invested in my stock. I keep and use my favorites and move on when another beauty comes along. 'vintage' market has slowed a little bit right now and should pick up shortly, I will be ready. I do enjoy seeing my rack of bags on a daily basis though :)

I'm trying this Instagram thing and might be able to help move some product...Those pics were my first, but not my last. going to try again today with another lovely 256 and tote.

Speaking of that tote, I was cleaning it this morning in anticipation of taking a picture and was able to paper date the tote thanks to a receipt inside. Leather is absolutely amazing for this talon era tote....

View attachment 861019 View attachment 861022

hoard as I have a good amount of $ currently invested in my stock. I keep and use my favorites and move on when another beauty comes along. 'vintage' market has slowed a little bit right now and should pick up shortly, I will be ready. I do enjoy seeing my rack of bags on a daily basis though :)

View attachment 861019 View attachment 861022

Sweet! Is that a pic of the receipt for the bag itself? Was trying to make out the store info.

I have pretty much decided I am only buying the old Filson stuff moving forward. The peeling/pitting on new Filson leather is just not acceptable to me when I look at their old gear.

GzStudio

Reaction score
Sweet! Is that a pic of the receipt for the bag itself? Was trying to make out the store info.

I have pretty much decided I am only buying the old Filson stuff moving forward. The peeling/pitting on new Filson leather is just not acceptable to me when I look at their old gear.

I do not think it is the receipt as I know this cost more than $44 in 1994.

I agree with the old stuff (minus the 48 hour bag as I do like that) as I have many curly shagged rough-out straps on some of the bags in my vault, even pre-bedrock aquisition. The rough-out suede straps are prized in my opinion.

AC74

Reaction score
I do not think it is the receipt as I know this cost more than $44 in 1994.

I agree with the old stuff (minus the 48 hour bag as I do like that) as I have many curly shagged rough-out straps on some of the bags in my vault, even pre-bedrock aquisition. The rough-out suede straps are prized in my opinion.

Yup, the 48 hr duffle bag is really nice. However made of tin cloth...

I have the small tin cloth rucksack. Really like the fabric, much more "life" than the - when new that is - quite dull twill/canvas, but it does not seem at all as durable as the twill/canvas. I have also read other posts where people have had holes in the tin cloth just out of normal wear. The parts of my rucksack where it is constantly wrinkled (topmost part where the string runs) show signs of this, small holes form in the "sharpest wrinkles".

Is the 48 hr duffle a safe buy regarding this... Hmm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads