Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

HAHA thanks for the shout, looking forward to seeing it. Nice Cafe Racer BTW.

2. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Senior member

HAHA speaking of sunlight and its power to "de-must"; whenever I leave my 257 in my car I cover it up with a towel to prevent the sunlight from working its powerful magic on my rather pungent 257. How much of a nut do I sound like there?

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

The Journeyman nicely sidesteps being too 'Toomi' which is my slang for that 'slick' black ballistic nylon, silver hardware, carbon fiber corporate aesthetic that seems to be the ideal in international duty free stores and catalogs (ya know pair it up with some Hugo Boss cologne and you're good to go). So I concur regarding your reservations about backpacks for work, but I think this is as good as it gets backpack-wise.

Leather is tough in terms of shades. If it's black, it doesn't highlight the quality of the leather nearly as much as there is little tonal variation. If it's a darker brown, it can look 'flat' or 'muddy'. If it's a higher quality vegetable tanned lighter chestnut brown, it's going to have red undertones that can often make the bag look very red in certain light.

And while I have my hot/cold periods with it, the small duffle is I think your 'intermediate' option between the medium duffle (5-day business trip) and the Heritage (overnight or 2-day trip). If you walk around a lot in an airport terminal with your bags, you will come to appreciate a fully packed small duffle.

4. GzStudio

GzStudio Active Member

I have come to believe that Pointblanket is an employee or relative/friend of employee as there is no way that they can consistently, week after week, for years, have the amount of outlet product that he/she has. Consistently buying the number of items listed usually raises red flags from the employees/managers. Even after the outlet moved from Burlington about an hour + south closer to Everett, they are still listing the same items each week. I only say this as I had a run-in with an employee at the Eagan outlet because I was buying too much of something the second time I came into the store(on the same day as I happened to be in town for work). They told me that there was an unposted limit of how many I could buy of a specific item and that they were keeping track....

5. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

First impressions on the Talon 256 from a carrying standpoint:
    - padless strap is an improvement as it's lighter and doesn't swing too much when carrying by the handles\
    - The leather strap is shorter than my padded version - not a huge deal but it's on the last hole so there is no more room to go. Not as easy to use cross-body, I've noticed but that's not a big deal.
    - Overall bag feels 'tighter' - especially the inside pockets - this may be because it's not been used as much and therefore not as stretched out (or at least - has not been used in years) as my 2014 256.
    - The keychain holder on the inside is a miss. I enjoyed hooking my keys up and never having to worry about them for a week while on my travels. I'll have to figure out a solution here - possibly the carabiner thing that someone posted a few weeks ago.

All in all, things are looking good! (as long as I continue to work on de-musting)

6. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

A keychain holder is a surprisingly beneficial feature that costs little but yet few bags have. It sux searching for your keys at your doorstep after a long trip (inevitably dark and rainy).

7. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Just a quick thought on keychain. A small piece of (leather) cord around the bottom of the handle below the leather tab will be invisible as it sits below the pocket stitching. Small clip on the end and you are good to go.

8. speedy611

speedy611 Senior member

Board got busy while I was sleeping. But-

@Soletrane - appreciate your comments about packing, thank you! We shall see whether by Sunday I’m disheveled and disorganized, or serene and zen like!

@mgrennier - the appeal of no carryon is always strong. I love gliding through random Asian airports with no carousel stop. I have an APEC card so also get fast passage through immigration a lot of the time. I can often do plane to car in 15 mins :).

To your question. Mostly I carry the 256 on the strap either shoulder or cross body. Then 261 either in tote mode or slung on shoulder - yes the handles are long enough. But it’s fleixble and that’s useful. I can carry 256 by the handles and shoulder the tote.

9. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

That's certainly a possibility, as well. I have just discovered, over time, that on the rare occasion he or she is selling something I must have, I can call up the outlet and buy it for much less than what it will finish up at on the ebay.

For example - the limited edition tote with Presidential Seal pointblanket has for sale right now.