• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One 266 in tan is plenty for me:) Though the navy one I saw in a London a couple of years back was the definitely the 'fish that gotta away'. Sad that Filson might have messed with the size and the material on the reissue.

It doesn't work for every trip, but when the 266 works, it's my favorite bag to carry. Here it is on a recent trip...

View attachment 853291

I like the tennis grip tape job you did there, much more inconspicuous than my bright "Wilson Filson" job. I think I might've overdid it but wanted to account for when the bag is overloaded and the top expands upwards. I think we all have a story of our own about the "fish that got away".

I'm probably way off here but by the looks of that picture are you anywhere near Newark Liberty Airport? That red brick factory looks awfully familiar to the Anheuser Busch factory

16865125-standard.jpg

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thor's hammer! There are two (2) "Boyt Padded Computer Bag"s for sale on the big auction site. Congratulations, Filson. You've made it!

Can you include links to these? Thanks

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since clearly these "Boyt Bags" aren't a one off and more are out there, I decided to do some digging. I'm glad this time it's not being passed off as a "Genuine Filson"

I was much more civil this time lol

My response to seller:
Can you provide me with a link to the website where this "Boyt Tan Canvas Leather Briefcase Padded Computer Bag" can be purchased from? They look awfully similar to Filson Briefcases.

His reply to me (which doesn't really settle things as I can't find these bags anywhere):
Yes they do look like FILSON bags. You're have to go to the Boyt website I guess. This is an item that belonged to a friend who also owned both Boyt and Filson bags. Not even sure if it's available in line.

LOL I wonder if I should ask him if his friend is this other seller who was trying to sell a Filson ripoff, that @GzStudio located

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the tennis grip tape job you did there, much more inconspicuous than my bright "Wilson Filson" job. I think I might've overdid it but wanted to account for when the bag is overloaded and the top expands upwards. I think we all have a story of our own about the "fish that got away".

I'm probably way off here but by the looks of that picture are you anywhere near Newark Liberty Airport? That red brick factory looks awfully familiar to the Anheuser Busch factory

View attachment 853472

OMG, you have sharp eyes! You are correct, I was at the Newark Airport Hilton Hotel. I actually tried to get the exposure right so the AB building was in view - curious if anyone would recognize it.

It was an overnight trip - so perfect for the 266. The u-shaped zipper plus the internal dividers means I can keep clothing organized without using my Eagle Creek folders or mesh bags. I can even put toiletries in one side pocket and ties (only folded once) in the other. It sounds like a minor thing but the ability to pack/unpack easily, keep things organized without additional bags is a big advantage over most duffles.

I always wonder if removing the tennis grip tape will mar the leather. Lesser of two evils, I suppose.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since clearly these "Boyt Bags" aren't a one off and more are out there, I decided to do some digging. I'm glad this time it's not being passed off as a "Genuine Filson"

I was much more civil this time lol

My response to seller:
Can you provide me with a link to the website where this "Boyt Tan Canvas Leather Briefcase Padded Computer Bag" can be purchased from? They look awfully similar to Filson Briefcases.

His reply to me (which doesn't really settle things as I can't find these bags anywhere):
rascalsconsignments
Yes they do look like FILSON bags. You're have to go to the Boyt website I guess. This is an item that belonged to a friend who also owned both Boyt and Filson bags. Not even sure if it's available in line.

LOL I wonder if I should ask him if his friend is this other seller who was trying to sell a Filson ripoff, that @GzStudio located

OMG - I had a similar thought and tried to find the original manufacturer. There is a Boyt Bags who make huntin/shootin/fishin stuff, but nothing like these bags on eBay, and nothing that is such a similar copy of the Filson styles. Maybe old/dead stock.

The question that follows is whether Filson know about this sort of thing, and have anyone who looks to protect the IP / patents / etc.

I suppose it's possible that one reason for not finding much evidence of these bags elsewhere online is precisely because Filson noticed and did something.

All that said, I did see some Filson - like stuff in JCrew or somewhere last year. Not exact replica's but clearly the 256 was the direct inspiration.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, you have sharp eyes! You are correct, I was at the Newark Airport Hilton Hotel. I actually tried to get the exposure right so the AB building was in view - curious if anyone would recognize it.

It was an overnight trip - so perfect for the 266. The u-shaped zipper plus the internal dividers means I can keep clothing organized without using my Eagle Creek folders or mesh bags. I can even put toiletries in one side pocket and ties (only folded once) in the other. It sounds like a minor thing but the ability to pack/unpack easily, keep things organized without additional bags is a big advantage over most duffles.

I always wonder if removing the tennis grip tape will mar the leather. Lesser of two evils, I suppose.

HAHA thanks man. I know you're on the road a lot and probably have been to a majority of airport proximity hotels, so I just connected the dotes. Plus I really like that factory architecture, even though it's owned by the Belgians lol.

I think most will agree that the U-shaped enclosure of the 266 and the side organizer pockets make for one of the best light travel bags offered by Filson. I wondered that too, removing the tape. I guess a leather that's marred a little is much better than leather that is all chewed up by the zipper.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HAHA thanks man. I know you're on the road a lot and probably have been to a majority of airport proximity hotels, so I just connected the dotes. Plus I really like that factory architecture, even though it's owned by the Belgians lol.

I think most will agree that the U-shaped enclosure of the 266 and the side organizer pockets make for one of the best light travel bags offered by Filson. I wondered that too, removing the tape. I guess a leather that's marred a little is much better than leather that is all chewed up by the zipper.

OMG, interestingly, I also noticed that the 266 - unlike all my other Filson bags - seems to keep its shape half-full or even empty - a nice advantage. The duffles and the large travel bag all seem to deflate when empty or half-filled. I guess I am on a second honeymoon with the 266 as of late!

Edit: I noticed the new reissue has a lot of down votes on the favorable reviews on the Filson site. OMG, your review - which is negative - has overwhelming up votes! Lot of ill will about the reissue?

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OMG - don't you mean it's one of the 'second best light travel bags"? Right after, of course, the good old 70073 HERITAGE Sportsman. Ha!

Kidding but I am taking mine this week for a 3 night trip to Chicago.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG - don't you mean it's one of the 'second best light travel bags"? Right after, of course, the good old 70073 HERITAGE Sportsman. Ha!

Sort of old Coke vs new Coke debate? ;-) For those of you old enough to remember the 80s.

Perfect bag for 2-3 day trip. Pockets are great when not carrying a briefcase for phones, chargers, tablet etc.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of old Coke vs new Coke debate? ;-) For those of you old enough to remember the 80s.

Perfect bag for 2-3 day trip. Pockets are great when not carrying a briefcase for phones, chargers, tablet etc.
Yep - that is a big advantage of the 266 vs. the 073 (Heritage) - the outside pockets. On my Heritage, I use the side pockets (on the long ends) of the Heritage for chargers, water bottle, etc. The pockets on the side of the bag aren't exactly useful - except for a pen and a small notebook (Field Notes, for example).

Another interesting thing that I kind of like about the Heritage is the big orange piece on the bottom of the top flap. I don't hunt but it makes me feel like a hunter for 10 seconds when I open the bag (for what that's worth).

And - the bag is so light that it's a joy to carry.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep - that is a big advantage of the 266 vs. the 073 (Heritage) - the outside pockets. On my Heritage, I use the side pockets (on the long ends) of the Heritage for chargers, water bottle, etc. The pockets on the side of the bag aren't exactly useful - except for a pen and a small notebook (Field Notes, for example).

Another interesting thing that I kind of like about the Heritage is the big orange piece on the bottom of the top flap. I don't hunt but it makes me feel like a hunter for 10 seconds when I open the bag (for what that's worth).

And - the bag is so light that it's a joy to carry.

I like that orange flap too. I have it on my large travel tote. It's a really nice shade of orange. Actually, it's the attractive navy, orange and tan 'colorway' on the tote that has always stopped me from selling my most unFilson of Filson bags.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG - I had a similar thought and tried to find the original manufacturer. There is a Boyt Bags who make huntin/shootin/fishin stuff, but nothing like these bags on eBay, and nothing that is such a similar copy of the Filson styles. Maybe old/dead stock.

The question that follows is whether Filson know about this sort of thing, and have anyone who looks to protect the IP / patents / etc.

I suppose it's possible that one reason for not finding much evidence of these bags elsewhere online is precisely because Filson noticed and did something.

All that said, I did see some Filson - like stuff in JCrew or somewhere last year. Not exact replica's but clearly the 256 was the direct inspiration.

I definitely agree and have no issue with companies being inspired by Filson bags, it's just when they're blatant ripoffs or being passed of as Filson's that gets under my skin. Take this "Boyt Padded Computer Briefcase" for instance; if it is in fact a Boyt product, then where is the insignia/logo (paper tag, patch, or sewn on label)??? This is what leads me to believe that this whole "Boyt" nonsense is exactly that...nonsense. When's the last time you saw a manufacturer sell something that didn't have the company name plastered every which way. Louis Vuitton incorporates that strategy into their design. Take these new Bedrock Filson's (been awhile since I said that word lol), how many times are we reminded that it's a Filson? The zipper pulls, the embroidered zipper pull tabs, the interior sewn on label, the build tag. Something doesn't add up.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG, interestingly, I also noticed that the 266 - unlike all my other Filson bags - seems to keep its shape half-full or even empty - a nice advantage. The duffles and the large travel bag all seem to deflate when empty or half-filled. I guess I am on a second honeymoon with the 266 as of late!

Edit: I noticed the new reissue has a lot of down votes on the favorable reviews on the Filson site. OMG, your review - which is negative - has overwhelming up votes! Lot of ill will about the reissue?

EXACTLY!!! My 266 is currently empty and holds its shape, although mine is near brand new so I have an unfair advantage. Glad you have found new purpose with your 266. That was part of my decision not to get the small/medium duffel over the 266; people were saying it looked like a deflating tire when half full LOL.

I have been noticing my "straightforward & honest" review on the redesigned Sportsman has been garnering some attention. Last I saw it my review had a 20 to 1 ratio but I just checked and now its up to 31 to 2. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up deleting it entirely. My goal is to get them to lower their unreasonable high price and most importantly......MAKE IT IN OTTER GREEN :fonz:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:slayer: Well you do have a Sportsman so I can't hate on it. I had an idea for you to make your Heritage stand out even more. Have you thought about sourcing and adding custom vintage buttons to the front and rear outer pockets? Enjoy Chicago while it's still warm!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads