Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Wondering it too. Let me know when you have tried it :p.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i think i will. just purchased the Barbour dressing :slayer:

3. Islander

Islander Senior member

Exactly what I was thinking when I suggested it. Filson does re-wax their twill jackets when they are no longer waterproof, and there was a video on a blog somewhere of someone waxing an old Barbour jacket.

EDIT: that was fast - post pics!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

4. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

Brown 256 arrived today. I'd never seen a Filson bag in person, and I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the construction/materials. It feels like it's indestructible, which is exactly what I need. Will probably purchase a duffle in the next month - need to make a decision on size & color.

5. fattybfat

fattybfat Member

Hi All, first time seeing a filson in person is when i am in Dallas but they only have the tote bag, tghe fabric is thick and heavy so there i just purchase the 232 medium field bag from filson, has been struggling deciding which color but finally decided on the tan mainly will be use for work. Will post some pic once i receive it from my friend.

went thru all 46 pages but not seeing much pics on the 232 used one. Anyone can share some good old pics?

thanks

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

received my otter green 257. Love the color. 256 on the left is about 6 months old

[​IMG]

7. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time lurker. I've been wanting a briefcase for business use. My office is rather business casual, and the majority of the people emphasize the casual - but I was wondering what your thoughts were On he 256 for the office in tan? I've seen this asked here before, but if anyone has pictures of the 256 with nice business attire I'd appreciate it. I'd like it to go from bus casual to a suit if needed. Other people in my office seem to think the brown would be better.

Also - can't seem to find this when I search, but anyone have opinions/photos of the slim laptop briefcase by filson?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

8. theclipper

theclipper Senior member

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to re-wax these bags with to protect from the rain? I'm a little nervous that my laptop is going to get wet once it starts to rain again here in Seattle.

9. hattori_gonzo

hattori_gonzo Senior member

Does anyone have any pictures of the filson black bags range?

[​IMG]

10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

this bag got age + character 'steampunk fashion' ? like to see that :)

11. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

I am torn between the tan and the brown. What would you guys suggest for a college student that mostly wears Clarks Beeswax Desert Boots and Levis jeans with button up sport shirts?

Also what online retailer is the cheapest for a Filson 257 that could get it to me before september 7th if I live in Canada?

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

the problem with the colors is that they all look great. Nothing too bright, flashy, or over-the-top. All three colors are earth tone and go well with blue jeans, brown shoes, etc. if you really want to grab a BNWT 257 on the cheap, i recommend eBay. I picked my green one up for $200 shipped

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

re-wax? are filson bags even waxed with to begin with? is it similar to what they use on some of their jackets? today I sprayed my new 257 with some suede waterproof/dirt resistant solution. its made by red wing for boots but i have found that it works great with filson bags as well. after 2 sprays, the water droplets just roll of like buttah. i considered waxing my old 256 and I went as far as buying the proof dressing but its just too much of a hassle. the spray works great on suede shoes so im hoping I get similar results with my 257.

on another note, things were getting a little tight with the 256. I had a 13 macbook pro with sleeve, 2 4x8 books, charger, headphones, pens, etc and everything i mentioned fit great. However, I recently began carrying a 1.5 inch 9x12 book and things got tight really quick. it became difficult getting things in and out. but with the 257, everything fits great and I dont have to hesitate when im packing for the fear of everything not fitting. plus the otter green is dope. tan got a bit boring

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

14. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I just bought the tan in 256. Haven't seen the brown or a 257, but these observations:

1. the 256 is bigger than it looked to me in the pics and is more than large enough for going to work type use. Bigger than what I'm used to. Glad I didn't go for the 257 (don't take a lappie to and from tho)
    2. the color contrast between the strapping and the canvas is gr8, I prefer it. Was concerned about the canvas getting dirty, but it's actually a bit darker in person to my eye than in pics
    3 quality is fantastic. brass zip is prob most robust I've seen. Hard to believe any of it would ever wear out
    4. canvas is quite stiff if not rigid new.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

15. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

By the way, Levi's has a 25% sale going on their website with free shipping. As far as I know, it works on everything, even their Filson collaboration.

So anyone looking to get the Filson x Levi's tote bag (normally $118) can do so for about $88.50 shipped. Ends 9/6.