• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GzStudio

Reaction score
How bout some pictures of 256's......From barely used to really used....

It's funny how the leather ages depending on how and where it is used. The barely used one has great leather color, while another barely used one has original leather color....

IMG_7262-7.jpg
IMG_7263-8.jpg
IMG_7258-3.jpg
IMG_7259-4.jpg
IMG_7261-6.jpg
IMG_7256-1.jpg
IMG_7257-2.jpg

originalhype

Reaction score
I can give 2 examples of staples that have diminished in quality of materials from the original. Leather aside, the wool vests (24 oz.) and the rugged twill. Filson used to boast about 22oz rugged twill on every item description that had the material. In the past 2 years, it is no longer 22oz, and it is no longer stated other than 'rugged twill'. Having a new old bag that is indeed 22oz vs. a new bag of the new rugged twill, it is indeed thinner. This is the same for the Mackinaw wool vest. I have a few of the old vests and the weight and thickness of the wool does not compare with the stated 24oz current offerings.

I agree. when the navy twill was introduce, it was loser and softer than the regular 20oz twill on tan and green. How i know? I have one.
p1030109.jpg

I even talk about this too.
http://mrinformal.com/filson-series-experimented-materials/

I have the medium duffle that you see above. all colors of the valet tray, 2 rucksack green and tan. and the zip tote bag in green.

Now the navy twill matches up with green and tan in terms of texture, hand feel, and strength. Use to be not the case before.

When i bought the tan rucksack, like new for 170, the seller actually send an old leather shoulder strap, it was very old and the backside of the leather was suede and it was quality. I'll take a picture sometime.

ScottyG77

Reaction score

It's funny how the leather ages depending on how and where it is used. The barely used one has great leather color, while another barely used one has original leather color....

View attachment 842532 View attachment 842533 View attachment 842534 View attachment 842535 View attachment 842536 View attachment 842537 View attachment 842538

Those are some nice bags! Here I thought I had a lot! Wow.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that the level of discourse on Filson had risen to new heights for this very old thread. I was actually very impressed with the insights recently shared.

But on a lighter note, I too really like the lighter brown shade on the leather of some of the old bags.

As I shared earlier, I took my new leather duffle on its inaugural trip this last week and it met all my expectations, but I would be lying if I didn't admit there were times I missed my old faded leather Talon zippered small duffle!
Very True, as do I, I'm quite happy to see that this many year old thread didn't just fizzle and die. With every picture and post we're keeping it alive and the discussion going. Great work Ya'll.

That light brown look my 257 has is so exciting to look at, it's everything I wanted in my Filson journey. The only thing that saddens me is that I wasn't the one to patina it. Oh well there's always my newly acquired 266. I just hope that the 2010 leather is the kind that patina's (it's pre-Bedrock...but post Stan Kohl's so time will tell)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick thought on my new tan Small Duffle 220 would be highly appreciated!

The flap covering the bag zipper opening shows abnormal amount of creasing although it is completely fresh out of the box. Should I stop being obsessive and keep this, or exchange for a new one (and bear the 2-way shipping cost which will be quite high)? I'm otherwise completely happy with the bag and I do not see any hint of imperfection anywhere else. If the flap area is supposed to show this degree of creasing with say a month of normal use anyhow, then I'm happy not to bother with the exchange. I do think the leather used in the flap is thinner than the leather in rest of the bag so I can see the flap getting more creasing than the rest of the bag.

I do have some conditioners lying around - Saphir Renovateur, Obenauf's oil, Lexol conditioner, Bickmore conditioner... Will one of these be better than the others for treating this?

For your reference, I put considerable amount of thought into the specific model and the color (between tan and otter green). I do think I made the right choice for sure, considering the use I have in mind (daily use for gym and occasional use for travel to supplement my carry-on suitcase). I will post additional photos later on!

View attachment 842425
I'd personally stay away from Bickmore, as I had a negative experience with it recently on my very old 257. Although, my leather is the much older Filson bridle, so you may have better luck with this new treated Filson bridle

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 842532 View attachment 842533 View attachment 842534 View attachment 842535 View attachment 842536 View attachment 842537 View attachment 842538
LOL The leather on that one on the right looks "black" by comparison. Are these ones you are selling or personal bags from over the years?

I see that the "black one" has a very similar chip in the leather D-Ring that I have on my 257 from the late 1990's. What causes these stress mark chips in your expert opinion? Because a guy with 4 Talon-Era #256's is clearly an expert in my book.

Last edited:

GzStudio

Reaction score
LOL that one on the right looks "black" by comparison. Are these ones you are selling or personal bags from over the years?

I sell almost all the bags I get/have. I keep and use what suits my fancy. I have quite a backlog of bags to list, a lot of talon, ykk, and newer. Probably 20-30 bags in total (but I haven't counted....might be more).

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back a number of pages ago I re-introduced the topic of Filson in Pop Culture (movies, TV, Music, etc); and I'd like to make an addition to that. I recently watched "Edge of Darkness" with the family (a 2010 film starring Mel Gibson), and I saw Mel carrying what looked to be either a Tan MTB or Small Duffel. It was too far off to closely examine at the time, and I certainly wasn't going to pause it in the middle of the movie and face another eye-rolling session from my twin brother LOL

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@originalhype
Are you referring to the picture or the link above? That picture isn't a medium duffel, I think it's a Medium Travel Bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads