Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

That's the 256, right? Thanks for the pic, NAMOR!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

no problem. yep, thats the 256 and as you can see, alot of stuff can go inside of a bag. my only hesitation of traveling with the 256 is that, while it does fit 2 laptops, notepads, books, etc, its a matter of organization. I recently purchased the 257 because I dont want to have to spend time organizing what goes in my bag and how. I would recommend a 257 if traveling with 2 laptops and or 1 laptop and several thick books

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. Islander

Islander Senior member

Here is a quick comparison of the 257 (left with handle on the strap) and the 256 (right). They are virtually the same size when empty.

[​IMG]

It's strange, the tan always looks a little yellow to me in pictures, and does in these as well, but there is more of an olive/brown undertone, they don't look yellow at all. Way better in real life.

[​IMG]

The 257 has four compartments inside, the 256 has three.

On the 257, both of the dividers facing the second compartment have pockets. One side has three pen-sized pockets, two iPhone sized pockets, plus a utility pocket that would hold something the size of a memory card. The other side has two large, collapsible bottomless pockets that would each hold a laptop charger or a water bottle, and between them there is a smaller bottomless pocket that would hold a pair of socks.

[​IMG]

On the 256, one of the dividers facing the middle compartment has three pen-sized pockets, two iPhone sized pockets, plus a utility pocket that would hold something the size of a memory card.

[​IMG]

Top compartment of 257 fits a 13" MBP with lots of wiggle room. Top compartment of the 256 fits the same laptop but is more snug. The 257 feels kind of large and floppy compared to the 256, which is more compact and rigid due to it's smaller size. I am leaning toward the 257 but in several ways I like the 256 better. The 257 feels more like a floppy shoulder bag (not necessarily a bad thing) whereas the 256 feels more compact and rigid, more like a briefcase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still don't know which one I like better.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

"Just checking to see if anyone has had the handles on their Filson tote shortened. I have one that I use a good bit and want to shorten mine. Right now is has about a 10" drop, but I think an 8" would be better for me. I was thinking of doing it myself, but wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they did, who did they send it to. Thanks in advance."

I'm with you on the shorter strap. I've always felt that the straps were too long on the totes and if they ever made one with shorter straps, I'd snap one up.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

great review islander. Speaking of handles, anyone consider removing the floppy handles from their 256, 257, or 258?

6. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I did not get any answers, so I am just doing it myself. I have the thread and am hoping to get it done in the next few days.

7. Islander

Islander Senior member

^ Cool, post pics when you're done.

Another interesting difference (257 on left, 256 on right).

[​IMG] . [​IMG]

When the 257 is empty or carrys a balanced load (both of these have a laptop and some file folders) it flops down to hang perpendicular to the shoulder strap. I'm sure it would straighten out when random shit gets thrown in and weighs it down but if you are only carrying a few things the 256 feels waaaay nicer/more balanced.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I agree, the 256 is a better bag for everyday use for all the reasons you described. I just hope I dont have to carry to many things which is main reason I purchased 257; so that I can carry 2 laptops comfortably. With that said, I cant wait to get the 257 as I got it in otter green. Kinda getting tired of the color of the tan 256

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

anyone clean their bag? my 256 is developing a "patina" aka its getting dirty. I plan to wash it and then apply a suede/leather protector on it.

10. Islander

Islander Senior member

Dye it black or navy (0) :devil:

Seriously, I would love to see how it looks when re-waxed, darker with a bit of a sheen I bet.

11. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Yes you can just wash it.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

could you imagine if it began to rain? :nodding:

14. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

I never used that. Detergent was enough for me. The bag doesn't have mutch leather on it.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

im wondering if you could apply the Barbour dressing after cleaning the Filson. I am thinking about doing it for the winter. Could look really nice