Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hymo

hymo Senior member

my god i give up

what does it matter anyway, the filsons are great bags. i love my 256 and 220.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

If so then it must be a recent change. Bags I have purchased in the last year were certainly made with bridle leather...not corrected grain.

3. entrero

entrero Senior member

Son, you're full of shit.

4. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Just checking to see if anyone has had the handles on their Filson tote shortened. I have one that I use a good bit and want to shorten mine. Right now is has about a 10" drop, but I think an 8" would be better for me. I was thinking of doing it myself, but wanted to know if anyone has done it and if they did, who did they send it to. Thanks in advance.

5. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Not sure what you mean, my strap has creases on it.

I don't know enough to say how the leather is prepared and such, but it seems no more creasing or less creasing than any other bridle leather I seen. Though I do feel it seems drier than my bridle leather belts and wallets.

I got mine end of June, 2011.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

6. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

does all this matter?

Like, does Filson suck or not depending on the outcome of this "what kind/what do they do to their leather" debate or is this just a schlong measuring contest to win the Leather Knowledge contest?

Apologies for the candor...

7. ForbiddenX

ForbiddenX Member

Got my Filson 257 today! Will post pics a little later tonight or tomorrow. Got it for about $200 shipped from BakerShoe.com

8. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Senior member

What a surprise! A filson package was lying at my front door yesterday when I got home.
    Somehow eBag shipped out the 256 though it was "voided" initially.

9. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Does anyone here have the "netbook bag"? I have a very small computer, and it is slightly bigger than the measurements provided by Filson, and I want to know how close of a fit it will be. I mostly just carry my laptop, kindle, and a few other necessary items every day, and this seems small enough to make my life easier.

http://www.filson.com/products/passage-netbook-bag.73032.html

Thanks

10. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

Yep, got my tote the other day too. Yay eBags!

The tote is bigger than I imagined. I like it, but it seems to be more fit for an overnight bag than something I can keep my lunch and book in. I'm going to keep it, but looking into maybe getting the small tote. Wish it had a zipper, though...

11. highlighter

highlighter Member

Hey all, I'm looking to pick up a 257 from a brick and mortar store (I don't have time to ship it, unfortunately, as I kind of forgot that my university starts next week) and I was hoping I could get some recs for a store around North Jersey? I've been trying to find a list of licensed dealers on the Filson website, but I seem to only be getting flagship stores listed. Thanks for your help!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 Laptop, 13 MacBook, 2 notepads, 2 chargers, Book, Magazine, additional shit

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

has anyone experienced bruising on their shoulder from carrying their Filson for extended periods of time? After one work week and several travel days, the left shoulder is bruised in several areas. I just ordered the 257 to complement the 256 but Im wondering if I made the right choice given that the 256 is already fucking up my shoulder

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

14. Islander

Islander Senior member

Oh man I couldn't decide between the 256 and a 257 so I ordered them both last week so I can handle them in person and see which suits me better (for 13" MBP, iPhone + accessories, books, etc.). If I had seen this picture a few days ago I might have just gone with the smaller one. Oh well, I'm looking forward to comparing them in real life. Will post similar pics when they arrive, any requests?

The small duffle, medium travel bag and sportsman's bag are all the same size, has anyone compared them? It's for use as a carry-on/road trip/overnight bag. Pullman is nice but I don't really want a clamshell, and if I was going to do a duffle I would probably size up to the medium, but I'm wondering about the travel bag and sportsman.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

15. ridders

ridders Active Member

very interested in feedback/comparisons on those 3 bags. almost pulled the trigger on a pullman off of ebay the other day but have the same reservations about the clamshell format. It would seem the sportsman allows for better access (compared to the travel and duffle) but have read that it can loose it's structure when it breaks in.... I too am looking for a great 2-3 day carry on bag. i've gotten good at packing light and my rollerboard is overkill sometimes....