Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Speaking of the weight issue, my wife has a 20 inch spinner which you can basically push along with a pinky. She finds it amusing that I am lugging this big canvas and leather bag on my shoulder. And I said I am equally amused when her bag is gate checked or when she struggled with stairs or when her regulation sized bag doesn't fit in the overheads of smaller jets. She just rolls her eyes at my rationalizing: she knows I carry the Filson (for airport travel) because I love the way it looks and feels.

Carrying one of the larger Filson bags like a Pullman or medium duffle does take a lot more strength than pushing a spinner. But if you have the strength, no biomechanical issues and like the style - I say why not? As someone wrote on this thread a while back: men are designed to carry heavy things.

2. letsi

letsi Senior member

It really depends on what kind of travel do you normally do for business. If it's international flights then the last thing I want to do after a >20 hours flight is to carry fully loaded #257 and Med Duffel on both of my shoulders while enduring a 1 hour + wait at the customs (this happened to me in SF just couple months back and I was only lugging a 3/4 filled #258 and was feeling miserable while literally dragging it across the floor at the airport, your waiting time at the customs might differ haha...)

If it's mainly inter-state travels where flight times are short and you don't have to mess around with customs then go crazy with the hand carries :)

3. teaegg

teaegg Active Member

4. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

I've had a 258 for about eight years now, and while it's pretty oversized for my purposes (which have changed over the years), I love it and it's aged well. Earlier this week I decided to pick up a 256 and was interested to see how the quality of Filson goods has held up, given all of the talk on this thread of declining quality. The 256 arrived today and it's nice and the right size for my current use, but it does in fact seem like there are just a couple of minor areas in which the quality has suffered.
    • The flap over the top seems to be lacking the rigidness that my old 258 had when it was new, and even still has now eight years on. I don't know if Filson took out a liner or they don't wax the twill as much as they used to, but the 256's flap is noticeably less rigid.
    • The leather zipper pulls are...weird. They don't really match the rest of the leather on the bag and are definitely something other than the leather pulls on my old 258. The new ones look like a smoky, dull brown/grey and have a strange feel to them: smooth (too smooth) and almost plastic-y.
    • Not a fan of the Filson-labeled zippers, but that's minor.
    • The new label with "Since 1897" in the diamond is a nice look and definitely an improvement over the previous "Made at Filson" label, but lacks the charm of the original "Might as Well Have the Best" label.
    What hasn't changed is the solid, robust, over-built feel of the bag. And while I know some have had bad experiences with the leather in recent years, the leather on this bag (minus the zipper pulls) looks just like the good stuff that's on my eight year-old 258.

For what it's worth, the manufacture date on this 256 is 4/17. Looking forward to using it for a long, long time.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017 at 6:22 PM

5. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

I completely agree with you. The quality has declined noticeably enough for us Filson Aficionados to take notice. Unfortunately for me I'm so disgusted with the Post-Bedrock decline that it means I will no longer support the new items or buy directly from Filson (as I always have in the past.) I will however support the Secondary Market on Pre-Bedrock Filson items. My 257 was made way before the buyout but that's another topic on its own. I look forward to sharing that with you guys once i've taken quality photos. I am gonna need your expert assistance in figuring out when it was made. I'm the 3rd owner and the 1st owner tore the white interior tag out, so i'm dying to know when it was constructed around.

6. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

LOL "dragging it across the floor", you had me there. Thanks for your advice, I hadn't thought of that. I think I may search for a better Rolling option to my Samsonite. One that can offer similar Patina, a lifetime warranty, and most important MADE IN USA. Nothing against anyone on here that buy's "Post_Bedrock Filson" but I am not one of them. I sold my 24 Hour Briefcase once learning of their shenanigans. So that means the Rolling Duffel is out and the Carry-On Suitcase (unless i'm wrong and these existed before Bedrock). They're very beautiful aesthetically and I mean no offense to anyone who has either, but for that price I would be too worried about the build quality and structure for the future and whether or not the bag will last as long as the old Filson quality ones did (Pre-Bedrock). I know Filson will most likely replace it free, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of creating your very own individualistic Patina. Plus according to this forum (and i've read just about every page) it appears Filson these days just replaces the bag rather then repairing it.

7. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

LOL I agree with you and that's exactly why I only carry-on my items. Several suitcases have needed to be replaced by the airline because they looked like a 747 played soccer with it. I just wish I didn't have these shoulder and collar bone issues. Once my strength has returned mostly I do intend on buying a "Pre-Bedrock" Pullman, love the classic styling. Thanks for your reply

8. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

Yeah I am not very sold on the aesthetics of Frost River, especially when compared to a Filson. It's lacking in something I can't quite put my finger on. I think for week long travel i'll stick with my roller until I can find something more pleasing to my very particular set of eyes. Maybe a Pre-Bedrock soft-sided roller (if such a thing exists). For less than a week travel I am gonna search for a Sportman 266, small duffel, or MTB (in that order exactly). I would like it to have Talon Zips (did that come on the 266?), pad-less bridle leather shoulder strap, and interior 22 oz dividers...old school Filson quality at its finest. I already found a beautifully preserved 257 with all of the above. But i'm saving that review for another post.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Early birthday present from my wife - shaving kit - do I win a prize for smallest Filson bag? :)

[​IMG]

10. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Member

Thank you very much for the reply. I agree with you and I should've explained further about my shoulder condition and why heavy bags (even a light ballistic nylon bag) makes me wince sometimes. I was kayak camping the Delaware River when it happened; slipped on some muck when loading the boat and did a hand-less handstand onto my shoulder dislocating it, I then relocated it myself. Worst thing was we were 20 miles from the cars so I paddled all 20 miles with my injury, then drove 4 hours home (with a stick shift car). Ever since my rehab, its never been the same. That is why I eliminated the Pullman, although I didn't think of the smaller one, i'll look into that for sure. Is it Pre-Bedrock? (did I state my distaste for bedrock enough lol). Truth be told I take more shorter trips than week long (+), so the medium duffle (especially old version) might be as they say on here: "overkill". I think I'll stick with the Roller until I can find something that is more to my liking and annoyingly high standards lol. The 2 bag approach is a must for me: cloths & dopp in one and everything else in the other. Isn't the 48 hour duffle post-bedrock? That would be a deal breaker if that's the case. Good thing is the secondary market for these Filsons is still very much booming, so all it takes is patience (luckily God gave me plenty of that).

11. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

OtterMeanGreen, Fortunately there are plenty of old Filson bags out there, so you needn't buy new bags. Many in nearly new condition.

I have posted on this thread in the past showing how the leather has gone from great to good to mediocre as I compare my oldest to newest bags. It's not a hard situation to reverse a decline in material quality, I think. I noticed on the new bags, all the hardware appears to be now solid brass. So maybe they will come around to addressing the lack of consistency on the leather.

I was in Rome yesterday and noticed a store called George Uomo had Filson. I passed on going inside but later regretted it as I had heard that there is a "Filson Italy" which in-licenses the Filson name and builds their stuff in Italy. I wanted to compare the quality particularly of the leather. The twill and zipper has stayed pretty much the same in quality IMHO but the leather now appears to be treated to stay dark brown and not fade and patinate as much as the Talon zipper era bags.

I saw a couple of large travel bags on EBay. You can differentiate from the mtb by the extra brass loop in the handle which allows more articulation of the strap around wide loads. Makes it easier to drape the handle around your shoulder too without using the strap.

12. speedy611

speedy611 Well-Known Member

IMG_1688.JPG
    Sorry Roger! I think the small travel kit is smaller ;-)