1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

this setup looks horrific. just get one of the briefcases instead.

Filsons are not known for their internal organization. Either get a zippered tote and deal (plenty of outside pocked, not much inside) or get one of the briefcases, or get something else. Personally I don't see the point of a Filson as a diaper bag, they age great, they aren't for convenience, unless you plan to have infant babies for 10 years straight?

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Don't love the look either. I have the same bag and don't see an issue with just carrying it over one shoulder.

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Not ideal, I know... but the bag itself is great so I would rather not just have it sit in a closet. I wouldn't carry it around all day like that but there are times when I need both hands free and this looks like a good and simple solution. That being said, I am thinking about buying a medium field bag.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I only use the strap when I'm traveling or on my bike commute. Basically situations where I need to carry heavier things and need unencumbered hands/arms.

So when I get to my destination I just tuck in the strap and use it as a regular tote. No matter how secure/ergonomic messenger bags are - they suck compared to backpacks when it comes to hauling a lot of stuff comfortably.

Then again backpacks suck when it comes to looks - so I like having the extra strap that hides easily in my tote as a compromise.

5. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

get the tote bag and get camera bag insert, similar to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0292K701KQEC4XWG4VST

6. Alter

Alter Senior member

The insert is a great idea for bottles etc but the lack of a strap on the totes is a problem if you have to carry a baby around. I thought about it and decided that a medium filed bag is the best bet. A small field bag would probably be sufficient if it is just a few diapers and other baby stuff.

But actually, I ended up getting a non-Filson backpack because I usually have a baby in a sling of some sort so the shoulder strap style didn't work well. If you are just looking for something to hang off the back of a stroller then a tote bag would be fine.

7. FOP

FOP Active Member

I would suggest the Sportsman's Bag. Made (presumably) to haul skeet-shooting gear it carries like a duffle but has usable exterior pockets and internal dividers/organization.

[​IMG]

(GIS shows it fully loaded and fit pics)

1 person likes this.
  8. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

What's the best filson bag for travelling (we're talking flying home for two weeks over Christmas etc)? I don't have a lot a clothing as it is and I've caught the 'pack light' bug...so I'm trying to decide between a large duffle or an XL duffle. The large looks about right but I'm wondering if the XL would/wouldn't be overkill. Any recommendations on colour (I'd like the tan if it was a dark tan, but judging by pictures it looks lighter then I'd like so I'm leaning towards green)?

If you've got one to sell I might be interested.

9. duchuy0501

duchuy0501 Member

10. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

So how does your mom like it?

1 person likes this.
  11. pebblegrain

I don't think either one fits carry-on requirements. You need the small.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Modification idea... I find with my 257 loaded with laptop and books it's really heavy to carry by handle or even shoulder strap, so I run the shoulder strap through the closed handles (between them), and put the strap on the longest setting. This makes two loops (one on either side of the handles) and then I wear it as a two shouldered packpack, across my back horizontally.

anyone try that?

13. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Yeah or even better get the Pullman, just got one for myself recently and liking it.

14. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

lol...just tried it out. Looks funky but it works/

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

kinda like this right? (ie horizontal across the back, although two shoulder loops) It looks a little funky, and also probably only works if you're small like us, but I think it does work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. duchuy0501

duchuy0501 Member

I receive the same question from everyone. My bad?

17. raptorrapture

raptorrapture Senior member

What you posted isn't a Filson bag (unless I'm mistaken), so why did you post it in this thread?

18. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

Yeah - it looks something like that. You just need to be small enough to fit under the straps

19. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Just tried this and it actually works pretty well. I can't see a situation where I would ever do it, but it does work.

I had an extra series of holes punched in the shoulder strap so that I can cinch it up tight and wear it like a messenger bag. I find that this is how I carry my 257 most of the time.

20. pebblegrain

Come on fellas. If you need a backpack, buy a backpack.

1 person likes this.