• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lowndes

Reaction score

I believe that the panniers are really meant to be removed and then carried, rather than being left on the bike as they are held on by snap-on fasteners.If you were going to leave them on the bike I think you would have to fettle with them in some way to more securely attach them to the bike, or at the very least least pass a lock cable through them.

To be honest, when it comes to bikes and concerens about theft I'd think more about not making your bike stand out from the crowd when locked up. A cheaper pair of panniers that are more easily secured to the bike and of a more suitable and darker material - yep, waterproof plastic - would be a better choice IMHO.

That's what I ultimately decided. I'm going to just use a wooden crate and then can toss my filson tote or 257 into it for my office commute. This will then be my briefcase for the day. I prefer this to carrying panniers around (and its a whole lot cheaper).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding the purchase of Filson by Bedrock - happened across the Glassdoor employee reviews for Filson the other day, and they're pretty damning. 1.4 out of 5 with nine reviews, only one of them positive. Quite a bit of commentary around the management by Bedrock. Interesting read: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/C-C-Filson-Reviews-E140898.htm

Not what I would have expected, and sad to see. I've had some great recent experiences with several individuals in their customer service area. I hope they get some better leadership in place.

I cannot more strongly take back the above comment regarding positive experience with Filson CS. :brick:

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that the panniers are really meant to be removed and then carried, rather than being left on the bike as they are held on by snap-on fasteners.If you were going to leave them on the bike I think you would have to fettle with them in some way to more securely attach them to the bike, or at the very least least pass a lock cable through them.

To be honest, when it comes to bikes and concerens about theft I'd think more about not making your bike stand out from the crowd when locked up. A cheaper pair of panniers that are more easily secured to the bike and of a more suitable and darker material - yep, waterproof plastic - would be a better choice IMHO.

Ortlieb

Last edited:

Organika

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance own the Photographer's backpack? I agree with some earlier comments regarding the price for a backpack but I imagine it would be just right for what I'm looking for. Really haven't seen anything similar on the market. Any comments or photos is appreciated.

Chubbs

Reaction score
Just got the medium duffle in olive from Haberdash. My second filson purchase, the other being the briefcase in tan which I've had for about 2.5 years now.

It is exactly what I expected. Pretty big for a medium, but I knew this from all the reviews. As far as its practicality, it is definitely overkill for an overnight or gym bag, but could work as a weekend bag since it can be crunched down. I have a two week trip to Europe coming up in the Fall and I think this will be perfect for that along with a backpack. I'm pretty sure this would fit as a carry on as well. The olive color is also really nice. Kinda wish I had gotten my briefcase in olive now.

Last edited:

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
After about 18 months of daily use, I began to notice some things about my 257 that I wish were different. So instead of finding a different bag, I made the desired modifications.

The first being the removal of the flap. In California where it never rains I didn't need the added protection. It also always felt like an extra step to get inside the bag, so I wanted it gone. I originally took it to my cleaner to make the modifications, but they said their machines couldn't handle the Rugged Twill. So I took it to my cobbler, and two days later... no flap!

Now that the flap was gone, I relocated the snap to the outside of the front pocket. I did this just so the bridle could be reused. All I had to was add a snap to the outside of the bag and hand stitch the the bridle to the outside of the pocket. I used some buttons that I already had. Mine were a tad larger than Filson's so I used a concho I had laying around.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results. It suits my needs better and now stands out in the sea of 256 and 257s in Orange County.

This looks awesome! Who is your cobbler? Does your cobbler also deal with leather straps? Would love a rec - I live in Los Angeles...

localman

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently on the fence between buying a Pullman and buying a Medium Travel Bag and on the periphery i'm looking at the Medium Duffle. Going to be starting up a new job with at least two flights a week and travel by tour bus in between. Looking for something that I can pack a half a week to a week's worth of clothing, toiletries, etc.

I'm looking at versatility as well as functionality. I plan on doing a lot of camping etc in the future and it would be good to be able to utilize this bag as well.

Any help is very much appreciated. I have a couple of retailers right now that have the items but if anybody has any retailers with coupon codes etc that is appreciated as well.

Time is something of the essence as I leave early next week (Monday night) and obviously need it before then.

I currently have a 257 which I have been carrying daily for about 2 years.

Thank you,
Mat

Chubbs

Reaction score
@localman I just recently bought the Medium duffle from Haberdash a couple weeks ago when they had a 30% coupon going (don't think they are still running this deal). My review is a couple posts earlier. To answer your concern, you should have no problem fitting a weeks worth of clothes. I haven't tried yet, but from the look of it, if this thing is fully packed, it may be too big for carry-on. However, if you don't pack it all the way it should be able to fit in an overhead compartment. And a weeks worth of clothes should allow you to do that.

localman

Reaction score
@chakmak

Thank you for getting back to me. I was initially looking at the Medium Duffle then I started thinking the Pullman or the Medium Traveler might be a better fit for my current needs but I'll be damned if I'm not sitting here right now thinking about getting the Medium Duffle again. Definitely being able to carry on is a must for me. One of my fears is that (I've seen it happen at the airport) I get there and the bag *looks* larger than a carryon and even after fitting it into their size checker they tell me I have to check it.

I just emailed Haberdash to ask if they would do the 30% discount, I'm sure they won't because that almost never happens haha but was worth a shot.

Thank you again for your reply.
Mat

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a medium duffle off eBay for $200 shipped, which is something like 42% off. There have been a few retailers in the low $200s with "make an offer" options. I offered $200 on an otter green version with $239 BiN and it was accepted.

Size wise, medium duffle > Pullman > medium travel. Pullman will be easiest to organize/access with the clamshell design.

localman

Reaction score
@dcg

Thank you for your reply.

The deeper I go into my research I wonder if the Medium Duffle is going to be too large for what I need or just simply overkill though I do like the versatility. I'm now focusing on the Small Duffle or the Pullman. After watching a review of the Medium travel I'm not sure I really like it's configuration as a travel bag for myself. It seems similar to a 257 in it's layout, albeit much larger. But I'll be traveling with my 257 as well so that should hopefully cover some of my electronic/book packing needs.

I think I'm leaning towards the Pullman at this point.

Any additional feedback is appreciated.

Much obliged to you two for responding to me.

Best regards,
Mat

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mat, the small duffle will be too small for your intended use. I suspect the Pullman is your best bet.

You're correct that the medium travel bag is very similar to a larger 257, just without some of the internal organization (though it does have two internal pockets).

I'm a big fan of the medium travel bag, but not sure about fitting a week's worth of clothes inside (a week's worth of clothes for an informal vacation? Maybe. A week's worth of business attire? No.)

Small duffle is about 3/4 the size of the medium travel. It's MUCH smaller than the medium duffle.

localman

Reaction score
Thanks @dcg that's very helpful to know. I'm leaning toward the Pullman right now.

Let's see how many more times I can change my mind in the next couple of hours. haha

localman

Reaction score
Also I'm presuming that the Pullman fits within the size constraints for carry-on luggage?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it adds up to 45.5 lineal inches, and the limit is technically 45. But it's soft sided and you should have no issues so long as it's not absolutely stuffed to the maximum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads