• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewYawker

Reaction score
Took this picture just because I love all 3 bags... thought I'd post with thoughts on the 2 filsons shown (257 and the Medium Duffle):

Medium Duffle - not sure if the photo gives proper perspective, but the bag really can "size up" or "size down" depending on your needs (it's about 2/3 filled in the pic).

I was on the fence about the Medium Duffle v. Small Duffle fearing the Medium was too huge (someone in the thread posted they can fit 3 weeks of laundry in it -- a YouTube review shows a large dog fitting inside), but am happy I got the larger bag. When it's not all that filled, it really does collapse to wear smaller for even an overnight, but really fine for a weekender IMO.

257 - I was as many people ITT torn between the 256 and 257. I am happy with the 257 and use it everyday taking it into the office, but definitely can see people preferring the 256 if they're looking for a more streamlined, every day bag to carry to the office. It's entirely possible I may end up getting the 256 one day, and reserving the 257 for days when I have a heavier load to carry into work, and for business trips.

AloysiusSF what bag is the blue one? looks quite nice

It looks like the croots x epaulet bridle leather bag. If it is i have the same one. It is absolutely fantastic. I also have the tan 256 for everyday business use. Cheers.

AloysiusSF

Reaction score
NewYawker / jtsui - yes, it is the Croots x Epaulet Holdall bridle leather bag, and it's awesome. Was psyched to use it on a trip this past long weekend. Also, NewYawker, I believe I owe you a thank you, as your strong review of the bag in the Epaulet thread convinced me to go ahead and purchase.

NewYawker

Reaction score
NewYawker / jtsui - yes, it is the Croots x Epaulet Holdall bridle leather bag, and it's awesome. Was psyched to use it on a trip this past long weekend. Also, NewYawker, I believe I owe you a thank you, as your strong review of the bag in the Epaulet thread convinced me to go ahead and purchase.
Awesome! Glad you are enjoying the bag. Its a fantastic piece and it will last a long time. The bridle leather should develop a nice patina as it ages.

dukerules

Reaction score
A Filson tan twill evo pic. Clockwise from the front:
Medium field bag, 18 months old, heavy use
Medium travel bag, 2 years old, moderate use
Large carry on travel bag, brand new
And a Filson tin cloth cruiser jacket.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small duffel and medium travel bag have similar volumes based on posted dimensions, though by an in person side by side comparison the travel bag looks a lot bigger. Plus, I would assume that I could fit more in the travel bag since it's squared off and not round like the duffel. I have a small duffel and just received a medium travel bag from Brooks Brothers. Can someone confirm I'm not crazy and that the small duffel and medium travel bag are not duplicative in my arsenal?

Ejirardo

Reaction score

The small duffel and medium travel bag have similar volumes based on posted dimensions, though by an in person side by side comparison the travel bag looks a lot bigger. Plus, I would assume that I could fit more in the travel bag since it's squared off and not round like the duffel. I have a small duffel and just received a medium travel bag from Brooks Brothers. Can someone confirm I'm not crazy and that the small duffel and medium travel bag are not duplicative in my arsenal?   

I initially used my small duffle for travel but found it to be slightly to small for everything I wanted to bring so I added the Medium Travel bag which in my experience is great for traveling and can fit approximately 25% more than the small duffle. I use the small duffle exclusively as my gym bag now and the Medium travel bag exclusively for overnight or short trips.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I initially used my small duffle for travel but found it to be slightly to small for everything I wanted to bring so I added the Medium Travel bag which in my experience is great for traveling and can fit approximately 25% more than the small duffle. I use the small duffle exclusively as my gym bag now and the Medium travel bag exclusively for overnight or short trips.

That explains my situation exactly, thank you! I have a pullman and a small duffel and found the duffel a bit small for overnights. I think the medium travel bag will be a lot better and probably keep me covered for a few nights so I don't have to lug the huge pullman around.

As I said, I just freaked out a bit when I multiplied the advertised dimensions and saw the volumes for the duffel and the travel bag were similar. As I mentioned earlier, though, I'm sure the duffel is much smaller since it is a duffel and not squared off. Yes, putting the two together, it seems the travel bag is about 25% bigger. Plus, those outer pockets will come in handy!

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did the Pullman replace the medium travel bag?

Are you referring to me or Filson?

Filson had the pullman and the medium travel bag in their arsenal for a long time. The recently phased out the travel bag. For my own personal use I'm using the travel bag as an in between bag (bigger than the small duffel and smaller than the pullman). Depending on use, I may get rid of the pullman at some point. Carrying around a full pullman on your shoulder is not fun.

Ejirardo

Reaction score

That explains my situation exactly, thank you! I have a pullman and a small duffel and found the duffel a bit small for overnights. I think the medium travel bag will be a lot better and probably keep me covered for a few nights so I don't have to lug the huge pullman around. 

As I said, I just freaked out a bit when I multiplied the advertised dimensions and saw the volumes for the duffel and the travel bag were similar. As I mentioned earlier, though, I'm sure the duffel is much smaller since it is a duffel and not squared off. Yes, putting the two together, it seems the travel bag is about 25% bigger. Plus, those outer pockets will come in handy!

I actually have the pullman as well which I use for trips a week or longer but I agree its not fun carrying that bag around at full capacity. It would be to much for an overnight or a few day trip so the medium travel bag fits that nicely.

Last edited:

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score
Are you referring to me or Filson?

Filson had the pullman and the medium travel bag in their arsenal for a long time. The recently phased out the travel bag. For my own personal use I'm using the travel bag as an in between bag (bigger than the small duffel and smaller than the pullman). Depending on use, I may get rid of the pullman at some point. Carrying around a full pullman on your shoulder is not fun.

Wasn't really directed at anyone in particular.
Thanks for replying though, gives me a good idea.
I think I might just go with a medium duffle for travel and such.

blueandwhite

Reaction score
Have been using my tan small duffle as an everyday carry. Great bag given that my day routine involves hitting the gym in the morning before heading to school/work (Macbooks, chargers, books)

The stitching on the corner seams are opening up though, due to my excessive heavy usage (I put lots of stuff and on my travel as a carry-on), so I'm thinking of replacing it with another small or perhaps a medium duffle.

Considering that I'm 5'6 (167cm), will the medium duffle be too overwhelming for my small frame as an everyday carry? This is my only consideration. Volume wise the small duffle fits my needs good enough. It looks just right with my build. More capacity in the medium is always welcome but I won't wanna compromise how it fits on my build.

Any users here use the medium duffel as an everyday carry too?

Cheers

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Have been using my tan small duffle as an everyday carry. Great bag given that my day routine involves hitting the gym in the morning before heading to school/work (Macbooks, chargers, books)

The stitching on the corner seams are opening up though, due to my excessive heavy usage (I put lots of stuff and on my travel as a carry-on), so I'm thinking of replacing it with another small or perhaps a medium duffle.

Considering that I'm 5'6 (167cm), will the medium duffle be too overwhelming for my small frame as an everyday carry? This is my only consideration. Volume wise the small duffle fits my needs good enough. It looks just right with my build. More capacity in the medium is always welcome but I won't wanna compromise how it fits on my build.

Any users here use the medium duffel as an everyday carry too?

Cheers
I'm 5'8" in boots, and the small duffle looks like the right size on me. I can do the medium size, but it looks a little long next to my frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads