• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For no rational reason I can't stand the new zipper pulls which say "FILSON" on them.
eh.gif

If I could find a brown 256 with the old zipper pulls, I would pay above retail...

Simon4rings

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
If anyone is curious, I received a reply from Filson and they cannot add a shoulder strap to a zippered tote bag.

Anybody have pics of a small duffle or sportsmans bag that they are wearing?

I too, have and love my tan zippered tote. I find no need for shoulder strap and simply sling the 2 long handles over my shoulder when I need to be hands-free. The zipper tote can sure swallow lots of stuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about to pull the trigger on either a 232 (medium field bag) or 240 (small carry on). The sizes are basically the same but the carry on is zippered and the field bag has a double bottom.

Any recommendations for one over the other? I would be using it as a general carry-all and for baby stuff like diapers and whatnot. I don't need it for a computer or books.

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Hi all, first post from a new guy.

Thought I'd share some pics of my burgeoning collection. Pictured are my 256 and 222, both tan, and both new within 6 months. No real patina to speak of, though I have had to order a replacement shoulder strap for the brief. The leather has cracked right where it clips to the bag (the loop with rivet)
plain.gif
. Filson was great about it, but compared to my brothers much older 256, the quality of the leather looks to have diminished... am I crazy?

Also pictured is my shell pouch in otter green. It's seen some use, and shows it.

I've just ordered a wool tote for my GF. I've only ever seen the levi's version in store. Anyone have a pic of one they'd like to share?

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

Sazerac

Reaction score
Very, very cool.

Do you use the shell pouch for shells or as a general all-purpose man bag?

I would wear one just to be able to say, "It's not a purse, it's a frickin' shell bag!"

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
@ Sazerac

DSC00467.jpg

smile.gif

It was my first filson, and I use it for shells.

This was before I had my eyes opened to their everyday awesomeness.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WaterlooMike
Hi all, first post from a new guy.

Thought I'd share some pics of my burgeoning collection. Pictured are my 256 and 222, both tan, and both new within 6 months. No real patina to speak of, though I have had to order a replacement shoulder strap for the brief. The leather has cracked right where it clips to the bag (the loop with rivet)
plain.gif
. Filson was great about it, but compared to my brothers much older 256, the quality of the leather looks to have diminished... am I crazy?

Also pictured is my shell pouch in otter green. It's seen some use, and shows it.

I've just ordered a wool tote for my GF. I've only ever seen the levi's version in store. Anyone have a pic of one they'd like to share?

DSC00465.jpg

Do you find that duffle to be easy to fill? I'm deciding on that or the Medium Travel Bag, which has a lnger zipper that extends partially down the sides of the bag. Since those zipper teeth are so sharp (my 256 gets me now and then! lol) I want something that opens as wide as possible. Thanks!

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
I really like it, but can't offer a comparison. A couple/three pairs of pants, some top layers, big wool socks and my travel kit all fit with lots of room to spare. If the gf and I are going somewhere for a night, she even manages her change of clothes (if she packs light), and hair products (if securely inside ziploc to prevent our relationship ending over a spill). Definitely not carry on size though.

Realized you're asking about the size of the opening. It's plenty long. No issues filling at all.

Sazerac

Reaction score
So much more elegant than schlepping shells around in your pockets. I also love that shell bags are a direct descendant of the old musket ball bags.

spencers

Reaction score
I really like it, but can't offer a comparison. A couple/three pairs of pants, some top layers, big wool socks and my travel kit all fit with lots of room to spare. If the gf and I are going somewhere for a night, she even manages her change of clothes (if she packs light), and hair products (if securely inside ziploc to prevent our relationship ending over a spill). Definitely not carry on size though.

Realized you're asking about the size of the opening. It's plenty long. No issues filling at all.

I can attest to this as well. PLENTY can fit inside the bag. I have the same #222, received back in November. Love it! Goes great with my #256.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Just about to pull the trigger on either a 232 (medium field bag) or 240 (small carry on). The sizes are basically the same but the carry on is zippered and the field bag has a double bottom. Any recommendations for one over the other? I would be using it as a general carry-all and for baby stuff like diapers and whatnot. I don't need it for a computer or books.
I have a 240 and I would recommend the 232 for you. I wish my 240 had a double-bottom, side pockets, and sometimes the zipper drives me nuts. They are not the same size however. the 232 is smaller all around. also, I would get brown (240 does not come in brown)

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
No real patina to speak of, though I have had to order a replacement shoulder strap for the brief. The leather has cracked right where it clips to the bag (the loop with rivet)
plain.gif

Thanks for posting the pictures. I also had a problem with the leather when I got my 258 about a year ago. One of the handle straps was noticeably thinner and felt cheaper. I sent it back with a note explaining just that and they sent a new bag on which all the leather was excellent and consistent.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I have a 240 and I would recommend the 232 for you. I wish my 240 had a double-bottom, side pockets, and sometimes the zipper drives me nuts.

They are not the same size however. the 232 is smaller all around. also, I would get brown (240 does not come in brown)

Thanks!! Those are exactly the points I am concerned about...and I have been considering the brown as well. And I didn't realize that it didn't have the side pockets. I already have the small field bag so I was thinking about the 240 just to have something in a different style but it sounds like the 232 is the way to go. Anybody have pics of them side-by-side?

brozek

Reaction score
For someone who packs pretty lightly (only the boots on my feet, willing to wear a shirts a couple times before washing them), would the small duffle bag (220) be too small for 4-5 day trips? These pictures makes it look plenty big, but for someone who has one - would it comfortably hold a couple pairs of pants, a couple shirts, a sweater, socks, underwear and a small toiletry bag?
2202size0.jpg
588661.jpg
588662.jpg

WaterlooMike

Reaction score
Imo, it's too small. Sounds like you pack much like I do.

I looked closely at it (220). Liked the fact that it meets carry on requirements, however it is MUCH smaller that it appears in those pics. The model must be one small cat. The 222 is a perfect long-weekender. I stuff 2 pairs of pants, some sweaters, shirts, undergarments and toiletries into it perfectly. The 220 would be buldging, and unlikely to zip. I'll try to post a pic or two of what I typically put into my 222.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads