1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

This is from the Fall 2011 catalogue stating brass plated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. dcg

dcg Senior member

Have been traveling and have my 256 (circa 2010) and medium travel bag (circa 2014) along with me. Definite differences in the leather upon close inspection. I've said before that there was the occasional dud even in older Filson pieces; I had one of the Filson x Levi's duffles back in 2010 that arrived with the worst leather I've ever seen on a Filson bag - felt like cardboard and looked like the top was de-laminating with awful creases. That said, in my experience it used to be easy to tell immediately when you had a dud. I think it's less so on some of the newer bags. When you got a bad one a few years ago, the leather would immediately crease on the top/front when bent, with straight lines forming across the "good" side. The new stuff seems to develop a crosshatch pattern over time. Some of the newer bags also appear to have some kind of coating on the backside of the leather that creases easily. I'm guessing this wears off fairly quickly, and is the source of the pilling that several have mentioned.

3. Philomath

Philomath Member

Hi gents. New here. It's a great forum.

I recently picked up a Meridian duffle. I was only able to find one detailed review online so I posted one here FYI: http://philomathology.com/2015/11/20/the-filson-meridian-duffle/

It's a great bag. Love it.

Also, thanks to many of you here last month I got a classic briefcase in otter. You all are an excellent influence.

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Thanks for the Philomath! Curious about your own impressions on the Meridian!

I am on a second trip in a week with my Sportsman 266. Again, I can't say enough good things about it. The U shaped zipper and the compartment dividers means it is easy to stack your clothes neatly and securely. And then access easily them afterwards. The large side pockets moved smaller non-clothing items out of the main compartment. If you can live with a 2-3 day capacity bag - it is an awesome carry on or weekender.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. trlhtn

trlhtn Well-Known Member

I received Filson's most recent catalog and it described Filson's bridle leather coming from the thickest hides and being treated for water repellency. I think this is the first time I have heard Filson claim that their bridle leather is treated with anything that makes it water repellent. I guess I would also like to know whats the reason for the abrupt decline in leather quality also..

6. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Philomath - you win the award for best "first post".

I'm particularly interested in that Meridian duffel as it might fit the need I have to identify a great weekend bag. I love the travel bag but it's too boxy. i love the 24 hour bag (or 72 hour as it was called when I bought it). I love the Heritage Sportsman bag but the shape doesn't necessarily make it ideal for a laptop.

In other words, every bag I've tried from Filson has a "but" attached to it.

I'm hopeful the Meridian doesn't suffer the same fate.

You seem to indicate that you were going to travel again with it. What are the negatives you're finding with it? How about the single zipper opening? Does that make it difficult to pack (and then find) your clothes?

Would love to hear more about it. I'm right smack in the middle of the country (St. Louis) so it's almost impossible to see one in person.

7. Philomath

Philomath Member

Hi Mgrennier. Thanks for the kind words. I travel with the bag again tomorrow through Friday. I'm so looking forward to using it that I've already packed - definitely a bag geek move. At least from the first trip, the size was great. The bag is more vertical than boxy, making it easier to carry by my side. For a laptop you're going to have to throw it in on top, but my Surface fits in their no problem and a larger laptop would as well. I'm only taking one bag this week (no briefcase) so I'll have my gear in their, too, and don't expect any problems. The one zipper opening, not being u-shaped, definitely means some scraped knuckles, but it opens large enough. No problem packing and finding stuff, but it's not a u-shape just so you know what you're getting into.

8. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

Have a 257 in tan incoming. Debated the 256 but my current laptop bag gets cramped with files, papers, laptop, and iPad so I opted for the extra space with the 257.

I need a bag(s) for two other purposes. Am I off base on which bag best suits each scenario?
    1) business travel with 1-2 night stay -- standard packing for business plus spare clothes and shoes for a trip to gym. Would also bring my 257 for laptop and papers. I'm thinking the medium travel or sportsman are best?
    2) long weekend trip plus 10+ day travel (car, not plane) -- plenty of clothes plus a couple pairs of shoes and maybe some electronics, if I can forgo the 257. Medium duffel for these longer trips? Seems like the medium travel or sportsman would be stretching it for 10+ days.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  9. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Ellsbebc,
    I have the older sportsman which has the large zippered side pockets and I have used for trips up to a week (summer beach vacation) but for business trips, the relatively narrow central compartment means it gets cramped if you throw in a pair of shoes or a thick sweater in addition to the dress shirts, pair of pants, socks, undergarments and toiletries. The medium travel bag may work better.

The medium duffle can easily handle a 10 day trip. I have used it with my Sportsman as a carryon on business trips up to 2 weeks in winter weather and longer this fall. If you are just mostly carrying clothes and shoes, its capacity is immense given the dimensions. If you're packing ski parkas and ski boots and heavy sporting gear - it might be a different story. A stuffed medium duffle is about as large a bag as I find practical to hand carry.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Philomath

Philomath Member

Mgrennier asked for some photos of the Meridian packed. Here are two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

How is the nylon strap (and how wide is it?)? I never did like 1" wide leather belt strap (with the small shoulder pad) on the Filson bags. I was thinking of replacing it with a wider nylon one for more comfort.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. Philomath

Philomath Member

Quite comfortable, actually. Over the shoulder and messenger style.

13. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

I use this with my 240, 222, 257...works brilliantly - no slippage, good weight distribution and looks great too!
    The OEM Leather strap is rubbish, practically!

[​IMG]

14. dcg

dcg Senior member

Damnit, I'm such a bag whore. Just bought one of these on eBay. Interested to see how it compares to Filson.

Description seems identical to this Vermilyea Pelle bag: http://vermilyeapelle.com/products/20-waxed-canvas-and-brown-chromexcel-weekender-duffle

Fabric color may be different - the VP looks more brown; may just be lighting.

15. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

DCG,
    This is exactly the bag I would buy if I was looking for a max carry-on leather and canvas type bag right now (e.g. Meridian duffle or Medium Travel Bag). Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

Ebay is a goldmine if you hunt for high quality products but with less brand recognition. I got a very nice briefcase in Horween leather today at a crazy lower price as proof positive.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  16. letsi

letsi Senior member

Hope to see reviews on the above bags. Some one posted earlier saying he'll be receiving one VP bag soon too but seems to be MIA from this thread...

17. ertu

ertu Well-Known Member

i might be interested, where did you buy the strap?

18. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Never had tried the Filson fabric strap. The only thing I can say about the standard leather strap is that it matches the other leather details on the bag very well and the pad over a few trips will conform to the shape of your shoulder and the strap softens up.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  19. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

40% of Filson at Gilt with the code BLACKOUT40 but the discount maxes out at $100. Still a great deal.

You should be able to use FREESHIP to get free shipping as well.

20. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Just a heads up. Looks like this might be account-specific. I got an email about it.