• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hxh_killua

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhisharp
I don't mean any harm or abuse but Crane's 15% discount code/coupon is a bogus deal. They offer free shipping on order over 100$ but not if they give you 15% off - so eventually you end up paying 189$.

Found out the hard way.

That's a turn off and I was contemplating ordering from them.

pat pearson

Reaction score
photo-5.jpg

Wasnt seeing much rucksack love. Just took this photo of my new filson and 1000 mile boots. Absolutely love it. Fits a 15'' macbook pro and two college text books perfectly.

s3lam

Reaction score
Sportco.com has really good prices on Filson bags and apparently the banner (which changes every few seconds) on the main page says 25% off all Filson Products ordered between Nov.22-Dec.5

I ordered 3 bags but when I checked-out 25% was not taken off. Called Sportco but won't be able to reach a rep until Monday.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I can say is there is some discrepancies in the discounts offered by Cranes employees, as some seem to be generous than others. I spoke to a gentlemen and I got a sweet SF discount on a 256. I recently called about a jacket and ruckshack and got a not so good deal-- was speaking to a lady.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pat pearson
photo-5.jpg
Wasnt seeing much rucksack love. Just took this photo of my new filson and 1000 mile boots. Absolutely love it. Fits a 15'' macbook pro and two college text books perfectly.

how many more books could you fit? Looks great

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you call the store you specifically ask for Dave, he owns the place. In any case I will address these discrepancies when I'm at the store on Thursday.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhisharp
I don’t mean any harm or abuse but Crane’s 15% discount code/coupon is a bogus deal. They offer free shipping on order over 100$ but not if they give you 15% off – so eventually you end up paying 189$. Found out the hard way.
Now I'm pissed. What was your order number? We haven't had a 15% off coupon for Filson for a year already. That's very old news. Did you bother to read recent posts in my affiliate thread? If you did then you know exactly what you're supposed to do and why. While I'm at it where did you get free shipping on a Filson order over 100 bucks? This banner is stickied to every page on the damn site.
BannerShip_5289.gif
Oh by any chance did your 256 come with the carry handle installed?

pat pearson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
how many more books could you fit? Looks great

I few spirals and at least another couple books. Its a spacious bag. Front pockets are roomy too.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some images pictures showing the carrying capacity of 256, 257 and the 258 for those who have a hard time deciding between the three.

Filson 256:

This briefcase is not padded. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 4" D.

nEecA.jpg

Filson 256 with a 15" macbook and a couple of folders and small accesories:
CNU78.jpg

Filson 257:

This briefcase is not padded either, but it is better if you carry a laptop everyday. Has plenty of space and is well compartmentalized. Official dimensions are 16" W x 12 1/2" H x 6" D.

anfTy.jpg

Io2HH.jpg

With a 13" macbook inside (and other items):
ctTDh.jpg

Filson 258:

This has a padded laptop compartment but doesn't necessarily have a higher carrying capacity than than the 257. It definitely looks bigger. Official dimensions are: 16 1/2" W x 14" H x 7 1/2" D. First pic is from the Filson website clearly showing the size of the bag.

70258-alt-3.jpg

pGGxa.jpg

i88em.jpg

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's

Oh by any chance did your 256 come with the carry handle installed?

I am the one who recently ordered a 256 with the handle installed (it is waiting for me at home as we speak and I can't wait to see it).

I point this out just to say that I would never dream of besmirching your fine store (see my previous poses lauding your wonderful service).

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
I am the one who recently ordered a 256 with the handle installed (it is waiting for me at home as we speak and I can't wait to see it).

I point this out just to say that I would never dream of besmirching your fine store (see my previous poses lauding your wonderful service).

No worries. The guy doing the complaining is a one post poster who claims he didn't get free shipping. He did. He also claims to have not gotten a sweeter deal which is also untrue. He also requested the carry handle to be installed which we did and everybody knows that's an additional 20 buck charge. He basically negated the SF additional savings by having the handle installed.

Then he came here talking trash and basically lied about us to the community which really pissed me off.

100 yrs

Reaction score
well to wash out any bad taste left by that guy, i'll offer that i received wonderful service from crane's. everything was as advertised, the lady on the phone couldn't have been nicer, and delivery was prompt. i would not hesitate to order from them again.

now to ad to the thread with question regarding the pullman - has anyone else noticed any seemingly excessive wear on the straps where they cross over the zippers on the main sides of the bag? it looks like th strap is rubbing across the zipper and getting all scraped up/flake-y. the zipper is pretty rough, so i'm not surprised, i'm just wondering if it's happening quicker than it should as this leather seems pretty tough.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
256 in tan was waiting for me. was literally the first thing i have purchased in 7 years that my girlfriend likes. great bag, great price, great service. thanks crane's!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads