1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

^ You'd be better off having a leather craftsman make you a couple of extensions with buckles. Don't hack up straps off another bag if you can avoid it. Bridle leather is readily available for saddlery, belts, etc. It may not match perfectly but will look better in the end.

I ordered bridle for my DIY shoulder straps recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You may try asking Filson in Seattle to sell you a length of their bridle leather. It's worth a shot. they gave me a zipper a couple of years back when I needed a repair.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. illition

illition Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I considered that idea but personally, I wouldn't be able to live with it unless the leathers matched correctly.

Do you happen to know what kind of bridle ladder is used by Filson?

3. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

8oz dark brown bridle leather from wickett and craig.

Older bags have thicker leather...

1 person likes this.
  4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

It's about 5 years old.

5. illition

Interesting. Could others comment whether this is a normal thing to happen?

Do all rugged twill Filsons tend to shrink slightly?

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Filson sell spare shoulder straps for their luggage, which may help ensure a close match of materials

7. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

i bought the 256 in black about 6 months ago and have been happy with it, although i took off the removable strap on day 1 as i use it as a casual briefcase for work.

yesterday i went on an interstate business trip, so decided to use the strap for the first time at the airport. 2 initial observations:

1. holy shit this thing is uncomfortable.
    2. holy shit this thing is waaaay too long (i'm 6'1).

when i got home i noticed some of the areas around the padding had torn which i'm pretty disappointed with. has anyone experienced this? hopefully it doesn't get worse (especially since i live in australia and there are no official stockists here).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  8. illition

I find the original leather strap to be quite uncomfortable, and i've ordered a Nylon version for mine instead. (Although mine is a 257) But I followed the same color scheme Filson uses for their Tin Cloth Otter Green briefcase

[​IMG]

Its lighter, more comfortable on the shoulders and also less bulky/intrusive. Also, it can easily be tucked into the large slot on the back side of the briefcase (unlike the leather strap)

9. illition

Yup. I've just done exactly that! Ordered from Filson store london (quite expensive at 34GBP) but when it comes i'll cut it to length, for temporary use.

When I have the time I will probably get the cut strap rounded nicely, and have the edges painted or burnished

10. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I have carted around a fully loaded Sportsman around Terminal 5 Heathrow more times than I care to think about. The standard leather strap does gets more comfortable as it breaks in and becomes curved from usage. Or maybe your shoulder just gets used to it? However it will never be as comfortable as something like the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap which is the gold standard for a shoulder strap but does not go aesthetically with most Filson luggage (maybe a black piece). I have actually thought of keeping both straps on the Sportsman - the original and the Absolute - and just switching to the Absolute when I am going to do a lot of walking.

11. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

Isn't it too light for your green 257?

[​IMG]

12. Churchill W

Looks too light for my taste.

13. ZeissMan

ZeissMan Member

I took the wide pad from my Filson briefcase to a cobbler and had him sew a piece of suede chamois to the under side and cut matching strap holes. Threaded the revised pad back on the strap and solved the slipping-off problem and the comfort problem. After all these years it is bent to fit my shoulder and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Carry on,
    ~ ZM

1 person likes this.
  14. illition

Same color scheme as this in Filsons line 70016:
    [​IMG]

I like it, but of course to each his own I guess

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  15. Churchill W

Looks darker in the stock picture to me.

16. Churchill W

Just got an email from Filson to promote some new products. Noticed that they slightly changed the style number and added a 110 in front of those products and the 256 and 258. I think these were numbered 70256 and 70258 before. Now they seem to be listed at 11070256 and 1107258. Wonder if this is a new generation and means they changed something on them.

17. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Good question, and thanks for the heads up. I think it's fair for you to expect them to provide you with that info, particularly if they're hoping you'll promote something for them.

18. Churchill W

Sorry worded that incorrectly. They weren't asking me to promote products for them. I just meant they were advertising new products.

19. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Haha, my bad. I realized that was probably what you meant after I posted.

20. ap10046

ap10046 Senior member

I agree 100%
    I've roughed up the bottom of the pad, but it's gnarly! Try carrying a fully loaded 222 through an airport, looking all cool and stuff..

Solution...
    http://www.chapmanbags.com/men/shoulder-strap.html