Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Any of you have the small wool duffle? Pictures?

Big enough for a long weekend trip? Cheers.

Having seen and briefly handled a small duffle, I'll say that they are very small. Didn't actually try to load it up, but....it's really small.

2. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Do you actually take these bags to work? Seems too casual for my office. Maybe the field satchel might work, but I might get asked if I'm planning to go fishing.
    I've never gotten anything but compliments when I bring mine to the office. I don't see how they're significantly more casual than the ballistic nylon that 99% of people carry these days. If you go with the dark brown color, you're apt to draw less attention.

3. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

Thanks, I'll probably be sending it off to Seattle in the next couple of days. I'll try to take pictures when they send it back to help others with their decision, or just for Filson pr0n.

I don't understand the handgrip thing? Is it really that bad carrying the regular handle?

4. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

I don't have a hand grip, and its not an issue for me. Try it without for a few days, it really comes down to personal preference.

5. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

I don't understand the handgrip thing? Is it really that bad carrying the regular handle?

I don't understand it either, especially with a 256 which is not that heavy, even laden.

It's also much fussier with the grip on it.

6. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

What are the big sale prices like on the 257? I'm thinking about holding out for some bigger discounts. Do they go below ~$180-190?

7. dcg

dcg Senior member

What are the big sale prices like on the 257? I'm thinking about holding out for some bigger discounts. Do they go below ~$180-190?

Filson isn't crazy about having merchants discount their products. There were better deals to be had back when Bing cashback was still active.

8. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

my oft carried 258. (yes, i put a badge on it)

[​IMG]

this bag is exactly 1.0 years old , w/ a GSA badge [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JGP.

JGP. Senior member

Trying to decide between the Pullman 243 and the large carry on bag 242 for extended weekend trips. Any idea why there is such a big price difference between the two? Pullman sounds great but would be interested to hear if anyone has experience with the large carry on...

10. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/11/28/wear-it-down/

no doubt some of you guys have seen this by now. i figured i'd toss it out here in the filson thread as it's a similar style bag. i just can't get behind this. the idea of washing a well made bag with bleach and kicking it around the yard is totally baffling to me. although, i'm surprised there's not an accompanying video hosted on Vimeo with a shoegaze-y soundtrack documenting the whole process, culminating in the bag-kicker's no doubt epic "run out of town." i hope ACL is still around in a decade so i can send him a kodachrome (or at least an instagram) of my beloved filson bags that have been used and broken in the way C.C. originally intended when he founded the company all those years ago in Seattle... toting Apple products to and fro Starbucks.

11. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/11/28/wear-it-down/

no doubt some of you guys have seen this by now. i figured i'd toss it out here in the filson thread as it's a similar style bag. i just can't get behind this. the idea of washing a well made bag with bleach and kicking it around the yard is totally baffling to me. although, i'm surprised there's not an accompanying video hosted on Vimeo with a shoegaze-y soundtrack documenting the whole process, culminating in the bag-kicker's no doubt epic "run out of town." i hope ACL is still around in a decade so i can send him a kodachrome (or at least an instagram) of my beloved filson bags that have been used and broken in the way C.C. originally intended when he founded the company all those years ago in Seattle... toting Apple products to and fro Starbucks.

About as contrived, forced, and fake as MW's Pop-Up "Flea."

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

anyone have REAL LIFE pictures of those wool plaid bags.

I like them. thinkin about getting one.

13. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

Quick story,
    I got my 256 about 4 months ago, and about a month later the leather on my strap began to deteriorate. It was as if the strap were made from some sort of particle board leather, and had begun to peel and flake off.

I emailed them today and within two hours they are already sending me a new strap. Stuff like this wins over any customer, and ill come back to Filson for all of my luggage.

14. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

15. dhisharp

dhisharp Member

I don't mean any harm or abuse but Crane's 15% discount code/coupon is a bogus deal. They offer free shipping on order over 100$ but not if they give you 15% off - so eventually you end up paying 189$.

Found out the hard way.