1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Interesting. Although, the 48 hr duffle seems to be out of stock on all colors. I like it though. Seems they are trying to address some of the "drawbacks" of the classic duffle. Comfy nylon strap, outside pockets, etc. may not be "Filson-y" for me...

2. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Great find. A shift in style maybe from utilitarian to urbane? Starting to look more like Ernest Alexander stuff.

I have a few of the discontinued designs, it is clear they were designed more for sportsmen than sport coats. I will keep looking for these discontinued pieces methink.

3. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Question to all of you 256 and 257 owners - do you place your laptop directly in the briefcase or do you put the laptop first into a padded sleeve or case?

Just curious - as it seems this is the sine qua non of briefcases these days i.e. to offer some sort of laptop protection but perhaps that is overkill for daily use?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  4. click here

click here Senior member

^ I always use a padded sleeve since the bag has no padding

5. letsi

letsi Senior member

Naked for me, snug in the inner pocket as I'm lazy to take things out of sleeves and don't have a habit of throwing my 256 around. That said, it's my company laptop so :happy:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  6. marconovo

marconovo Member

Padded sleeve for me too, always!

7. marconovo

marconovo Member

I stole the idea from the Apolis version of the 256 and asked my gf to do this to my otter green 256.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really like it! It differentiates it and makes it "my own". Though I'm still to see a Filson product here on the streets of Portugal.
    I only have pictures indoors, but will take some in the wild.

1 person likes this.
  8. letsi

letsi Senior member

^ interesting :)

Anyone purchased the new bags as shown in the last few posts? The pullman small seems interesting I must say since it still retains the filson aesthetics. On my end, I'm anticipating the delivery of an used 246 in OG soon. Hopefully it gets to me in a decent condition :slayer:

9. Ejirardo

Ejirardo Senior member

I don't believe these bags are for sale just yet. I think Hank's is just getting them up on their website once announced by Filson.

1 person likes this.
  10. letsi

letsi Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. Must have skimmed too fast. Shame they aren't out yet

11. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Oh wow.....

I really am going to want that 70238 48 hour bag. Anyone want to buy a used Medium Duffel and a Medium Travel bag 248? Both in tan. I need to further feed the addiction!!!!

But seriously - i'm going to put these up on the Classifieds this week - let me know if you might be interested!

That 48 hour bag looks like a nice new add to the collection.

12. letsi

letsi Senior member

Do you meant Medium travel bag 246 or Large travel bag 248?
    Would have been interested in yours if it's a 248 but I just bought mine so :facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  13. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Sorry - Yes, I meant the 246. That was a typo. I have the Medium Travel Bag. I love it - and may keep it, but I'm always looking for what's new and that new duffel that they're coming out with may have to be mine!

14. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Also use a sleeve (neoprene) with my 256.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  15. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Mgrennier, re:246, I think they are highly desired now that they have been discontinued. I 'watch' them on EBay sometimes and they all get a lot of bids regardless of condition or even without strap in some cases. There may come a time when they are fetching much more than the 48 hour bag. Just sayin'. ;-)

16. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

The Pullman Small looks a lot like my discontinued Large Carry--on 242 - minus the flap. I think it's 18inch length. That bag is interesting insofar you can put a lot in it but it still stays compact and still easily shoved in the overhead.

17. mgrennier

mgrennier Senior member

Thanks Soletrane. My 246 Travel Bag has only been on 2 airplane rides and 2 or 3 weekend trips, so it's in really good shape and just now starting to soften up a bit. I really love it. It's perfect. When it's overstuffed it's a bit heavy to carry - tried it for a 5 day trip. If you fill it at perhaps 75-85% full (however you would measure that), it's PERFECT. Fits in the overhead bin like a champ and is very easy to carry.

Regarding eBay - I need to get motivated to sell it on there - I've never sold anything there so it would be a learning experience for me. Whoever gets this bag will be pleased though. It's in phenomenal shape... (if I sell it)

Thanks!

18. letsi

letsi Senior member

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the average ebay price for the middle travel bag I've been seeing (since I've been trying to get one) for the past 1 month is around 150+ to 200 bucks (depending on condition and tan color in general gets more bids which in turn pushes up prices). I got mine in OG for 160 after shipping in fairly used condition. I do see 246s being listed on a weekly basis so it might take some more time for prices to be hyped up due to shortage of supply.

On the other hand, there are bids going beyond 200 for the large travel bag (248; some with the old YKK/talon zips) mis-labelled as middle travel bag and these fetches anything from 200 up to 260+ at the moment on the bay.

Yeah, I suspect it might be the new carry on favorite since they de-comm the old 246.

I've also been monitoring a recent ebay listing for a 242 bag that's on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121705958890?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Would be interesting to see how the price goes since the last one went for $250 couple weeks back.

19. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Thanks Letsi, you might be right - I am not able to easily distinguish between the larger 248 and the more common 246 in the auctions as they are seldom identified as such.

Re: 242. I almost gave away my 242 to a friend. But I have a growing appreciation now for it due to its capacity, and 'broken in' condition. In my line-up, it hits that spot between the Sportsman and the Medium Duffle.

Actual and frequent usage is always the ultimate test to evaluate luggage. Case in point, I originally bought the 266 Sportsman as a gym bag but in real world use, it lost out to the open tote which is better sized for my gym load, better ventilated, and easier to store in the car behind my seat or in a gym locker due to its vertical orientation. The Sportsman is more - to me - for field or sport where you have much more equipment to haul. Anyway, I thought I would give the humble open tote a shout out as it is seldom mentioned here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  20. letsi

letsi Senior member

Hey Soletrane, no worries about it since I myself was also perplexed initially on the differences and everyone was mis-labeling them as duffle bags or what not.

That was when I realized that the handles of the large travel bag apparently came from the duffle bag handles with D rings attached while the medium travel bag does not. The zips on the 248 are also frequently non-filson branded since the 248 seemed to have been dis-continued somewhere in 2012/13? Those points and of course the big give-away that the "duffles" are actually travel bags are the 4 exterior pockets were how I managed to differentiate the duffles from the travel bags, 246 from the 248.

Just to share some links on the Large Travel bags on Ebay recently (I was really gunning for one but the price is out of my reach at > 250) since I was trawling around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Duff...kveQxItpvfJZb8lNpJykM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-lugg...kveQxItpvfJZb8lNpJykM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Still on-going live auction for 248 >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filson-Travel-Bag-Duffle-/291518330658?

For comparison, this is a very old 246 but we could see that it does not have the D-rings on the leather handles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FILSON-Otte...kveQxItpvfJZb8lNpJykM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is the one I won: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261965320057?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The sportsman bag is great for organization but with all those pockets I realized you could get "too over-organized" and resulted in a reduced capacity of almost 20% when comparing it to the Medium travel bag with the same dimensions? That was when I realized it didn't work for me and off it went off to a better home in the end...

Only issues with the open tote is that its content is very visible and I didn't feel safe about showing off my stuff that I'm carrying. That said for a gym/grocery bag, it's the most reasonably priced Filson piece (esp. if you can get a sale discount on it) that you can get.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.