1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just curious to know if anyone is able to identify this bag?

[​IMG]

2. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Well, the leather stripes does give some additional structure to the bags but it's probably decorative after it loses the stiffness after a couple of years :D

3. Ejirardo

Ejirardo Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the Filson model 242 which is no longer made. Large carryon. I used to have the green otter version.

http://www.gilleyswesternstore.com/order/242.htm

4. Soletrane

Soletrane Well-Known Member

I have had an OG Large Carry-on 242 for years. Older model, Talon brand zippers et al. Built like the proverbial brick sh@thouse with a lot of capacity for its dimensions. But for some reason, my least fave of my Filson. Something about the way it carries or the proportions: It feels like they up-sized a smaller bag but lost something along the way.

5. remmie

remmie New Member

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could find a Navy Pullman? Filson's site says it's out of stock, but when I contacted Customer Service, I was told it was discontinued and will most likely not be returning (and none of the Filson stores have it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have the Navy Tweed briefcase and the Navy duffle, so I want all my pieces to match.

Thanks!

6. trlhtn

trlhtn Well-Known Member

Have a question here about my current 70252. I have quite a few Filson pieces both with bridle leather and without and have noticed the leather starting to crease/crack and showing parts of the leather under the coloring. I acknowledge that leather is a natural material and there alway will be some marks that can't be avoided. I have other high end leather goods and know what to expect, but have not seen marks like this especially on a briefcase thats been sparingly used for 3 months. Trying to get people's opinions on what Filson would probably do and if its worth it to send it back and see if they will give me a replacement. In the pics you can see where the leather creases its starting to crease and you can start to see the natural color of the leather. The straps, front, and back of the briefcase are perfect and do not exhibit any such "cracking." I can foresee this issue getting worse and worse as the leather ages. Other issues I see- thread at the top of briefcase coming undone, inside of briefcase coloring is chipping and leaving pieces on my items that are kept inside the briefcase. I am hoping this is a "lemon" and Filson will help me out and provide me with a replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  7. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the ID, just realized this bag had been discussed about a couple of times in the older pages of this thread. Am trying to understand why the 242 got axed instead of the pullman...
    I think this is definitely not the standard for new bridle leather especially the top grain part (though most of the "bridle" leather that filson uses has pilling issues on the flesh end) since they are normally infused with lots of oil and wax when freshly out of the tannery/factory I hope and think Filson should do something about it for you. Unfortunately, it always feels like Filson has gone the way of other corporate shareholder companies when such "lemons" eluded the QC department (since the staff doesn't seem to be too motivated based on the previously referred Glassdoor employees' survey) where quality and employees' morale are dropping but prices are still going up just because consumers are still willing to foot the bill for the shareholders' benefit (though I suspect not for long though)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. Soletrane

Letsi,
    Related to your point, I have wondered how long the Pullman has left. Maybe replaced with a new version that used less leather, simpler design and perhaps more tin cloth as happened to the outfitter, large carry-on, and the sportsman.

The Pullman and the 242 shared some similarities (e.g. Clamshell) with the Pullman offering larger dimensions and the 242 providing more security from rain and pilfering with the flap and double strap enclosure. I suspect the Pullman probably sold better as it looked more luxurious than the more utilitarian large carry-on but who really knows?

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

10. Austin Tremblay

Austin Tremblay Well-Known Member

I picked up a 72 Hour Lightweight version during the Father's Day sale. Trying to decide whether or not I want to keep it.

I've used a 256 for about five years, and I've loved it, except for two things: the weight and the lack of a true laptop compartment. The lightweight 72 Hour addresses both issues, but I just don't know about this nylon.

I know that, if I want to save on weight, I have to concede something in the material. But I'm not sure how the nylon will age. Does it patina? If so, nicely or will it evolve into a fugly umbrella?

Any thoughts?

11. Soletrane

Austin,
    My experience with quality nylon bags from Red Oxx (Cordura) and Tumi (Ballistic Nylon) is they do not age in any way comparable to natural fabrics. The Cordura tends to stay the same over time and the Ballistic black nylon tends to look scuffed with time and used.

Having said that, I have not been able to relinquish my Tumi portfolio brief on a Tom Bihn Absolute Strap even though I have bought a very nice bridle leather briefcase and a Frost River canvas brief in the last couple of years. I have toyed repeatedly with purchasing the 256. But I know the Tumi's practicality (padding, dimensions, structure, weight, hand strap length, lack of flap/great accessibility, pocketing) is just dialed in so specifically to my daily needs that even a much more attractive bag loses out over time.

I think the more frequently you use an item, the more its limitations become apparent. A Filson duffle lacking external pockets, for example, used 12-15x/yr won't irritate me like a 256 requiring a separate sleeve, used 250x/yr. YMMV of course.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. Austin Tremblay

Thanks so much for your insightful comments. I imagined that was the case with nylon. I'm a huge fan of the 256, but I just can't deal with the weight any longer. I think you're spot on in suggesting that a daily carry, due to frequency of use, really has to be much less compromising in terms of comfort and ease of use. But, my gosh, that 256 has aged beautifully...

13. chev4x4

chev4x4 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Austin Tremblay

Thanks for the reference pic! I almost went with the Tan 72 Hour, as my 256 is Tan and I really enjoyed it, but I went with the Otter Green to try to avoid some denim transference. The backside of the 256 has a ton of denim indigo transference.

15. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Well-Known Member

Just bought a navy small duffle on sale from Mr P. Didn't realise Filson still did navy for small duffles. Good bag and happy with it so far, though it could use a few more internal pockets. [​IMG]

16. Soletrane

Love the navy duffle. I gave my tan 34oz "heavy tin" small duffle to a friend when I bought the discontinued 266 Sportsman at a great price. The small duffle carried better with a full load due to it's less square shape but it drooped like melted toffee with anything less than that. Maybe this isn't as much an issue with the 22oz regular twill.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  17. letsi

letsi Well-Known Member

Hi Soletrane, thanks for the analysis. Based on your description, 242 seems pretty good for rugged travel I suppose? Any chance of you looking to sell it since it's the least favorite piece of your filson gears :D

I'm kind of losing confidence with the newer stuff filson's churning out and looking to acquire the older pieces preferably before 2012 :embar:

18. Soletrane

Letsi,
    I will probably keep the 242 just out of familiarity and that it is a really nice intermediate sized bag (compared to the medium duffel) that seems crazy overbuilt with that archaic double strap and flap. To your point, I don't think the quality of the luggage has been declining but they do seem to be decontenting some of the old faves to make them less labor and leather intensive to manufacture imho. The consolation is that some of these discontinued models are still available new online like the medium travel bag which is almost universally revered as a travel carry-on bag.

19. nevadabob

nevadabob Well-Known Member

Filson Summer Sale on now. 35% off select items directly from Filson.

20. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

The zippered totes look like an OK price.