1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

It's a #265 Large Compartment Case. The other is what Filson called a Shave Kit.

2. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

have used my new 256 at work for a fortnight now. a few thoughts:

1. i'm 6'1 and still find the strap too long. saying that, i took it off on day 1 and have no intention of using it.
    2. the 'compartments' inside are completely useless and just get in the way, it would be better if it was just one big cavity.
    3. i didn't realise until today, but the stud/popper closure on mine is completely off centre and slightly crooked.
    4. it gets heavy really quickly.
    5. a small zipper pocket (or something similar) would have been really useful.

other than that, v happy with it so far.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Looking at #1 and #4.Try punching some more holes in the strap, which is an easy DIY job with the right tool or a cobbler should be able to do it quickly and cheaply.

As you put more things in, it gets heavier ?

No great surprise there, but unless you are spreading that load over a large surface area where it contacts your body (your hand in this case) it could become uncomfortable. This is where such things as the shoulder strap and pad or having a grip pad (as on the 257 and 258) attached to the handles can come in useful.

1 person likes this.
  4. OuterHeaven

OuterHeaven Senior member

Is the 256 considered "good value" at 20% off retail? Do they go down beyond that?

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

You can find/I have seen it for cheaper.

Sometimes they are included in Brooks Brothers semi annual sales, 40% off or corporate incentive days 30% off for instance.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

I have seen the tan 256 go for as low as I think 130 at Jimmyjazz.com something or other. But these are limited stock liquidation type deals.

The 256 and 257 are about the only Filson pieces that don't tempt me. Mainly because for an everyday work bag, I always tend to return to the practicality of my ballistic nylon padded Tumi. Just an outlier for me!

7. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

You can find them lower but unless you get lucky, you might have to wait awhile. 20% off is generally a good deal as they're not typically discounted all that much.

8. Churchill W

I disagree.

9. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

To each his own. Not everyone wants to wait what could be months just to get $30-50 off.

10. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

20% off is definitely a good deal for anything Filson. Anything more I would consider a great deal. Ps,,,[​IMG]

11. Churchill W

Agree if you have to buy now then 20% is probably the going rate. I think you can get that at any time at Crane's if they are still offering it. The Brooks Brothers sales come up almost every other month though.

12. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

Sounds great, but it looks like everything on the Crane's site is full price.

13. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

I believe they have a discount for SF members.

1 person likes this.
  14. chev4x4

chev4x4 Senior member

30% off using “DAD30” @ W Concept.

3 people like this.
  15. Churchill W

It's not advertised on their site as chakmak mentioned, but I believe if you call it an mention you are a styleforum member they will discount items for you. I haven't bought from them in several years, but I did pick up some Filson stuff and was provided with a discount.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  16. LevObolenskiy

LevObolenskiy New Member

Want to make my first Filson purchase. Does anyone have any experience with both Twill and Tin Cloth?

I am trying to decide between a Tan Classic Briefcase and a Tan/Navy 72 Hour Tin Briefcase. Really tempted to go for the 72 Hour, but concerned with the bag losing structure because Tin Cloth is so soft. Also, some folks mentioned that the material can stain other materials (pants, couches). How much of an issue is this really?

Finally, does anyone have have any experience/advice on modding their Filson bags? I would be interested in installing velcro on the open outside pockets or snap buttons in the inside dividers. Links to guides or your thoughts greatly appreciated!

17. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Thanks Chev4x4 for the discount code - I have a navy zippered tote on the way!

I am starting to give Filson totes as gifts when staying with friends abroad - as they often seem taken with my Filson luggage. They pack flat and are extremely well received.

18. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

19. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

It looks like a navy medium travel bag to me.

20. Soletrane

Soletrane Senior member

Does anyone know if the leather strips around the entire perimeter of the zipper of many of the Filson pieces has a functional purpose or is it merely decorative?