• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fitchottie

Reaction score

Umm. Is this a veiled attempt at a sales pitch or are you just updating us on a new item in your luggage collection ?

Enquiring minds need to know.

I was just following suit with the gentleman with the 256 & 257. I just got the 257 but I might return so I was throwing it out there to see if someone wants to save a few bucks.

fitchottie

Reaction score
Tan... Yes NWT

fitchottie

Reaction score

movoblast

Reaction score
So, I don't know if its just me, but my otter green bag feels stiffer than my navy filson bag. I received both from brooks brothers last week but haven't really examined them until today. Can't tell if it's due to the navy material being thinner or if the otter green receives extra processing/treatment. I thought the problem with navy being thinner was only seen in the collabs.

Last edited:

fitchottie

Reaction score

I purchased the Bag from Nordstroms and I am just looking for what I paid which was 220.00, that price would include shipping and PP fee's in the US. Overseas might be a little more.

fitchottie

Reaction score
I am also selling a twill Back Pack.. Please see my signature.

letsi

Reaction score

Revolveclothing.com gives you 30% off the first time you shop with them.  After making a purchase, just drop them a line or call them, let them know that you're aware of the 30% off for first time customers...and you'll be good to go.

Yuppers, that's how I got mine navy tweed at around $227

So, I don't know if its just me, but my otter green bag feels stiffer than my navy filson bag. I received both from brooks brothers last week but haven't really examined them until today. Can't tell if it's due to the navy material being thinner or if the otter green receives extra processing/treatment. I thought the problem with navy being thinner was only seen in the collabs. 

Harris Tweed is known to be a durable material. Looking at how it is used on the bag, I don't think there will be a whole lot of issues.

70066-main-410.jpg

It appears that the navy twill is considered to be less dense than the otter green and tan ones? I'm really concerned about its longevity when compared to the original colors.
Also, I'm planning to spray Tarrago Nano Protector to waterproof my Navy Tweed 256. Anyone with opinions strongly against it?

Cheers!

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

I'm really concerned about its longevity when compared to the original colors.

I wouldn't worry. Their website states that it is 22oz rugged twill as used on the original lineup of briefcases. BTW 22oz refers to the weight per square yard, so you have a number of variables that come into play - size & weight of threads + density of weaving. IMHO you are more likely to have issues with the stitching, metal and leather than you are with the actual twill material.

If you do have issues down the road Filson are also known for their great customer service and guarantee. Maybe register the bag online, so they have a record of it and see how it goes.

From http://www.filson.com/filson/about-filson-products/guarantee/

OUR GUARANTEE

"We guarantee every item purchased from us. No more, no less. Your satisfaction is the sole purpose of our transaction."
-Clinton C. Filson, 1897

We guarantee every item purchased from us. No more, no less. Your satisfaction is the sole purpose of our transaction. For more than 100 years, the Filson promise has remained unchanged. Practically indestructible, all Filson garments have a guarantee, witnessed by the fact that they have been passed down from fathers to sons to grandsons. When you buy Filson clothing, hats, and luggage, you can be assured that you have purchased the highest quality product available, guaranteed to withstand the test of time.

Needless to say, but If you are going to lose sleep over this then simply return/sell/trade for an original colour.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you do have issues down the road Filson are also known for their great customer service and guarantee. Maybe register the bag online, so they have a record of it and see how it goes.

This. Even a brand new product sold at deep discount is covered by their complementary repair service (and possibly even if sold as seconds quality in some cases) for life. If it's so thrashed that they think they might as well give you a new one, you get a new one for free. I don't know what they do if they both can't fix it and it's a discontinued style, but my guess is that they'd just give you your choice of something comparable.

My only complaint (and it's a silly one) is that I had a piece on a brand new, out of stock from the retailer, bag that could easily be swapped out by hand. It was the internal snap divider from a sportsman. Filson apologetically said that I would need to send the whole bag in for repair/replacement, that they couldn't just send me that replacement piece. Of course, that's still wonderful customer service, and much better than other places that would say I had to go through the retailer for any repair.

HarrisonTran

Reaction score
I too wonder what happens if a unrepairable item is discontinued at the same time, do they try to recreate one for you or offer a suitable replacement? Anyone can chime in on that?

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson's website says Filson will replace an item or send a gift card for the last known retail value of the item.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question for 256/257 owners. I am currently deciding which to keep and noticed something on the 256. On the hand straps one if them appears to be very rippled. Is this normal or am I being too picky?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads