1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

I dont think so, barely fit my 13" wide screen Lenovo.

2. zliang

zliang Member

Hi I'm new to this forum. I just received my new 257 today and was very impressed with the bag. But I was very surprised to notice the shoulder pad tearing at the holes where the strap goes through. All I did was carry the bag around the house without anything in it and I was surprised that the tears happened. Is this normal?

After seeing this leather failure I am a little disappointed, this is supposedly a bag that can last 10 years or more?!

I could probably try to return it to Brooks Bros where I bought it from, but I am based in Singapore and it is rather far to send the bag back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Not normal. I would not have expected to see this after carrying an empty 257 for a short length of time. Contact Filson support and see if they will ship you a new pad.

4. adriancol

adriancol Member

Call Filson, send them the picture. They will probably replace that piece.

5. zliang

zliang Member

Called them. They said I have to return the whole bag to brooks brothers, which is a chore since I am not in US.

6. zliang

zliang Member

I did ask for just the pad replacement which would have been easy to send over but they rejected the idea.

This is my first Filson and I had high expectations of the product and customer service, but both disappointed me badly :(

7. kentpope

kentpope Senior member

That's pretty wack. I'd call them back or maybe try writing them an email?

8. adriancol

adriancol Member

You may need to send back the ripped piece first. I don't think it's fair for them just to send out, if that's what you were expecting.

9. zliang

zliang Member

I'm not expecting them to send me a pad for free. But they asked me to send the whole bag back to brooks bro for review/replacement.

10. zliang

zliang Member

Sending a pad in an envelope is definitely easier than sending the whole bag in a box...

11. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

That's what differentiates decent customer service from stellar customer service.

12. adriancol

adriancol Member

Filson guarantee is pretty clear, the will repair or replace anything that falls apart. They're not a high-end brand so I wouldn't expect the se level of service as say a Swaine Adeney.

You can rest assured that your issue is an anomaly and Filson will fix it.

13. adriancol

adriancol Member

Didn't realize you were in Singapore. I can understand the frustration. I would try Brooks Brothers Customer Service to see if they can get you a replacement piece.

Good luck.

14. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

Interesting - I just bought a 257, been using it everyday for about a month now, and I have slight tears in the same area already as well, never bothered to inspect closely (although not as deep as yours, though assuming overtime it will get as bad as yours are).

Question - anyone else notice this with their shoulder straps on a 257 or 256?

15. zliang

zliang Member

I have spoken to brooks bros too. They advised sending the whole bag back too :(

16. zliang

zliang Member

This is worrying. Is this a batch problem or quality of straps have gone downhill?

AloysiusSF: what's the mfg date for your bag? Mine is Nov 2013.

17. AloysiusSF

AloysiusSF Senior member

zliang - no idea, I assume it is printed/designated on the bag somewhere? If so, where?

And not sure if this sort of diminishes your concern, but I had been traveling with the 257 for a couple weeks and had it loaded down/used it as a carry on, so it's possible these slight tears are from break in and wont' get worse.... anyway time will tell...

18. zliang

zliang Member

The date should be printed in MMYY format on a tag inside the bag.

I will probably have to send the whole bag back to BB. If the tears had appeared in 1 or 2 months of use I wouldn't have bothered, but 5 minutes of unloaded testing at home is a different story. Looks like I will only get to use my Filson bag in 2015, hopefully they will send me a better one...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  19. Jasmin26

Jasmin26 New Member

Hello and sorry for my bad english,
    The new Black color collection ist wonderful and my question is, how looks the black color in 5 years? Grey? If you wash you Black jeans so look the jeans after 5 years not black but grey

is this the same problem with the Filson Bag in Black color? Looks the color after 5 or 10 years grey?

Thank you for you help

Jasmin from switzerland

20. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

What's the cost of shipping the bag back to BB ... I'm wondering if it might be less costly and inconvenient for you to simply purchase a replacement pad.

Regardless, that sucks for your 1st experience with the brand.