Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Is this a picture of a Pullman/243? It looks amazing!!

It is.

Will be interesting to see how my 257 compares to the new stuff when it arrives...I went a bit overboard due to the sale. [​IMG]

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

It is.
    Will be interesting to see how my 257 compares to the new stuff when it arrives...I went a bit overboard due to the sale. [​IMG]

maybe I missed something, was there a sale on 257's somewhere?

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

maybe I missed something, was there a sale on 257's somewhere?

I got an email coupon from eBags the other day, but it was single use and expired last night. Still, may be worth signing up for their email list if you're in the market; they send out coupons pretty frequently. Generally they don't work for Filson - not sure if there's been a policy change or if I just got lucky.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I got an email coupon from eBags the other day, but it was single use and expired last night. Still, may be worth signing up for their email list if you're in the market; they send out coupons pretty frequently. Generally they don't work for Filson - not sure if there's been a policy change or if I just got lucky.
    The coupons shouldn't have worked on Filsons. At least, mine didn't. [​IMG]

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. eBags has jerked me around before post-order, though I'm hoping that was a one-off occurrence (had to do with bing cashback and price matching, so hopefully I'm in the clear on this order). edit - got a shipment confirmation [​IMG] Deal was even better than I thought; there was already 10% taken off that the 30% stacked on top of. Unfortunately, now all Filson items are again listed as "Coupons Not Applicable". Still probably worth checking the eBags coupons in the future to see if one slips through.

6. Majaliwa

Majaliwa New Member

Anyone think a large carry-on, 242, would be too big as a messenger bag?

I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm afraid it will look awkwardly large as an everyday bag. I can't seem to find a photo online of anyone wearing it so its hard for me to judge how it will look just by the dimensions. I often bring a change of clothes, books, laptop, thermus, etc so I actually like how roomy it is, just don't want it to look like I'm about to catch a flight all the time.

Anyone have photos wearing a 242??

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Yes. That would be too big. I have a bag the same size as the 257 and it holds pants, two shirts, and trinkets with ease.

8. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

Any deals lurking on the 256 or 257? Seems Crane's is no longer offering coupons. Ebags.com also restricting Filson products from discounts. [​IMG]

9. RangerP

RangerP Senior member

Any deals lurking on the 256 or 257? Seems Crane's is no longer offering coupons. Ebags.com also restricting Filson products from discounts. [​IMG]

Also interested....

Anyone?

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Call the store.

11. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Anyone think a large carry-on, 242, would be too big as a messenger bag?

I'm thinking of getting one, but I'm afraid it will look awkwardly large as an everyday bag. I can't seem to find a photo online of anyone wearing it so its hard for me to judge how it will look just by the dimensions. I often bring a change of clothes, books, laptop, thermus, etc so I actually like how roomy it is, just don't want it to look like I'm about to catch a flight all the time.

Anyone have photos wearing a 242??

I have a 240 (the small carry-on) and it holds plenty of stuff. The 242 would be awkwardly large.

12. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Yeah, it's about time I got a Filson.

13. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I grabbed a Pullman a few months ago when Cablecar was having a sale. I recently used it on a 5 day trip that included air travel. The pic a page back of a worn in Pullman prompted me to post this mini review.

I was able to fit in clothes for 5 days, toiletries, 2 pairs of shoes, a suit, a sport coat, and a couple of sundry items. The interior straps worked pretty well at keeping the clothes in place when all zipped up. And you can stick things down in the middle for easy access when only unzipping the top, which worked surprisingly well.

After packing, I was pretty concerned that they wouldn't let me carry it on as it's a little over the dimensions delta has on their website, and it looks huge all packed up (I think the height is an inch off - I even sent @puthison a message via the twitter to ask about it, as I got the suggestion for the bag from that site, he confirmed that he's never had a problem carrying on either). So, it fit snugly into the little carry-on bag checkers they have at the airport, and more importantly, fit easily into the overhead bin on the plane.

The only drawback I found is the weight. All packed up it was pretty heavy to lug around the airport. The strap was just long enough that while the bag was hanging from my shoulder it would hit me in the back of the legs as I walked, making it slightly awkward to carry by strap (I'm 5'-10" for reference). The solution is just to carry it from the handles, but the weight could be an issue for longer walks.

That said, however, I don't have any regrets on the bag, and look forward to travelling with it for a long time. It was the perfect size for me for that length trip, you can carry it on, it is superbly constructed (of course), and looks awesome (of course). I only wish I could justify another Filson right now.

14. Majaliwa

Majaliwa New Member

I have a 240 (the small carry-on) and it holds plenty of stuff. The 242 would be awkwardly large.

Been eyeing that one as well. Seems more appropriate. 240 it is then.

15. spencers

spencers Senior member

I suddenly have an absurd want for a #257.

Damn you, SF.