1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Mass generalisation alert, but having experience of Barbour (UK and NZ manufacturer) + Filson (US manufacturer) + Dryazabone (Australia) I have to say there is no real difference between the smell of waxed canvas across countries.

The quality and, err smell, of waxed canvas is going to depend on two main things - the quality of the canvas and the quality and type of materials used to impregnate it. This can vary greatly by manufacturer and, hopefully, little between batches for a given manufacturer. Any smell is going to be mainly the waxes or oils used and, by and large, manufacturers generally do not want their products to have a strong odour, so will use products that have been processed to ensure consistent properties.

If you make your own wax for reproofing you could change the smell by using beeswax from bees that have fed on different plants or by using ingredients such as turpentine, pine tar or linseed oil instead of something pretty much odourless like paraffin wax.

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Nice and quite affordable compared to the Hasselblad kit. I'm trying to avoid going MF as I'd then need another Filson (camera) bag larger than the 232.

For anyone looking at picking up the ancient art of 35mm photography, start out with a simple and cheap camera - OM-1/2N (or similar) + 50mm f1.8 - and learn to develop your own B&W film - Patterson tank + Rodinal/Adonal stand development gets my vote - and use a scanner to digitise the negatives on to your computer. Only then start looking at the expensive pieces of photographic hardware and then remember that the $$ is in the lenses and not the camera bodies.

Oh, and remember that Filson make camera bags now ! :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. bremser

bremser New Member

Hate to keep this thread off-topic off, but the investment in a Hasselblad or Rolleiflex is highly recommended, if you are at all comfortable with 35mm film. The real money you will spend is on film, developing/scanning and repairs of the camera. Also these better cameras have a decent resale value, if you take care of them. And of course once you can take medium format portraits of family, you'll be glad you did.

On-topic, the Filson briefcase is certainly wide enough to house a Rollei or Leica. Suggest getting a padded Domke insert. You will have lot of empty space for a portfolio of prints :) I haven't used mine for this purpose, but there is plenty of room for a small digital camera. One negative of the white denim model pictured a few pages back is the material isn't very good at dividing the space inside (it drapes down and it's difficult to keep open) and sliding a laptop in is not as smooth as it should be.

4. 6up

6up Senior member

BUMP.......anyone parting ways with their previously loved small FIELD BAG ???

5. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

A few amateur shots with my Rolleiflex. They do look like phone shots though. Maybe large prints will be better. https://www.flickr.com/photos/zhanghang19891226

For camera bag, I like Billingham a little more.

6. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

So, is iDoc the only SF member to pick up a Filson x Magnum camera bag ?

What are the thoughts on them ?

7. bremser

bremser New Member

Half the time I'm carrying a bag that has a camera in it, so I found these interesting. Of them all, the McCurry tote seems most unique, with the others resemble existing bags on the market. Unless you are a wedding photographer or other professional carrying several camera bodies, the storage on most of them is overkill.

Style-wise, they are a nice mix of the Filson quality, though the tan colors inch a bit close to the safari photographer look (the guy wearing the vest with all the pockets). One odd thing, is they are all "Magnum Black" color, yet on my screens it's a very dark olive.

8. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Dark olive, the new (magnum) black.

[​IMG]

9. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

I was interested in the camera field bag as I like the full size mouth vs the 232 opening.However, not enough to make me upgrade.

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  10. Cancer

Cancer Member

I was just wondering if it's possible to maintain my harris tweed 256 briefcase with FIlson's OIL FINISH WAX?

Or should I use a bar of OTTER WAX instead?

11. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Personally, I do not think it matters what good quality brand you use.

Edit - I also find that using a bar of wax is easier to apply to a bag in measured quantities versus the paste of the Filson oil finish wax.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  12. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I was hoping for answers to the same question too, except I'm 5'11. Looking for a nice duffel bag for work/gym use and this and the Chapman Sten are the front-runners at the moment. I want something that will fit my basketball sneakers, a change of clothes, and miscellaneous stuff.

13. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Can't you chaps work it out from the dimensions given on the Filson website ? Find something of a similar size and try it on do some test packing.

Using the search functionality of the forum and plugging in such searches as 'duffle contents' and 'duffle small medium' should give you posts where people list what they have fit into their bags.

Subjective answers as to what looks big/small on someone really can never be truly be answered on an internet forum, even with pictures.

1 person likes this.
  14. converge

converge Senior member

Just got a 37" strap ordered direct from Filson. The stock strap for the 256/257/258 is 46" and I find that too long (I'm 5'6").

I wanted to order the 40" strap as I figured that would be short enough but it's not in stock.

[​IMG]

15. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Could you (or a cobbler) not have cut the longer strap down to a suitable length and then punched some more holes in it ?

16. nevadabob

nevadabob Senior member

Filson's new dry bag has finally been released. They call it a "medium duffle" but the dims are slightly smaller than the traditional duffles. It holds about 600 cu in less than the tin or twill duffles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  17. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

My first thought as well.

18. gkohler

gkohler Member

So I was thinking about buying the photographers back pack. But was wondering if anyone here has picked one up yet? How do you like it? Also, you'd think there would be a spot to hang your tripod on the side, but doesn't seem like there is.. Any suggestions on how to do that? Thanks!

19. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Decent full size tripods tend to be big, heavy and/or unwieldy, so hanging one off a back pack without dedicated loops could be interesting. Should be possible to jury rig something using things such as carabiners and some velco straps and attaching to the straps of the backpack. Either that or go to a cobbler and ask them to attach straps to the bag for you.

Maybe consider a tripod strap?

[​IMG]

20. gkohler

gkohler Member

I was thinking that same thing. Have a loop sewn on the side and attach a carabiner, and tripod. Would be a lot easier to lug around my photo gear and tripod all on my back while hiking. Now I wish filson had a store here in LA to see if it and gauge if it would work before purchasing.