1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dcg

dcg Senior member

Seems they're using a new fabric for the magnum bags. I'd like to see it in person to see how it compares to the tin cloth and rugged twill.

I've been very happy using my medium field bag with padded insert as a camera bag - not sure I see much here that'd make me want to switch (or pay the added cost, if I were buying now). The Harvey messenger bag would probably be of most interest. One nice feature is that the snaps on the front bellows pockets are located on a strip of fabric, so you can easily get your finger behind the snap to close it. This is a small annoyance on the medium field bag when you've got fragile gear inside you don't want to press too hard against. On the other hand, I'm generally not a fan of built in padded laptop sleeves.

BTW, this insert might as well have been made for the medium field bag: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/509016-REG/Tenba_638_251_Pro_Digital_2_0_Photo.html

2. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

Some of the bags are the well known rugged twil and tin cloth, some are 'Tempered-finish Cotton' with no indication of weight.

Tenba do some nice inserts and in a range of sizes. I used one in a Timbuk 2 messenger bag for a while a la - http://lifehacker.com/5655028/tenba-insert-turns-your-messenger-bag-into-a-stealth-camera-bag. I switched to the 232 when I decided I needed a smaller bag with a smaller mouth

The 232 is doing well for me at the moment as it can either accommodate 2 bodies with attached lenses - one 35mm file and one digital - or one body with two lenses.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yes, when you search "magnum" you get the four bags in the new cloth (basically, what was shown in the press releases), and three other photography bags: http://www.filson.com/search/?q=magnum

Looks like a lot of overlap - the two sportsman bags; field bag vs. messenger bag, and the two backpacks (to a lesser extent, but I don't see either of those or the tote as being all that usable/functional).

For these purposes, it's nice to see the two sportsman bags with different zippers than the filson standard - these look like they'll be much less likely to scratch up photo gear that comes in contact with them.

4. eca462

eca462 Active Member

Small vs medium duffle bag?

I own the 257 which I use frequently. I'm now considering a duffle to complement it for shorter trips (up to a week, light packer) and the gym. I'm leaning towards the small one, but how small is it? I'm 6'5" and don't want something that will look small on me when carrying it.

Also, would the small one fit one or two textbooks, gym clothes and a 13 inch macbook? A duffle bag for laptop is far from optimal but would it work you think? Would be great if I could use it on days I hit the gym directly after class. On one hand it would be nice to have something bigger for longer trips, but the medium one would probably be too big to use in day to day life?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. viator

viator Senior member

Thanks all. It's a tough decision, for sure.

6. letsi

letsi Senior member

Just to give a heads up. Got a new Filson 257 in exchange for the "QC failed 257" back from Revolveclothing earlier this week. Props to Revolve again :slayer:

[​IMG]

I realized that the 261 really has higher carrying capacity due to the lack of compartments compared to the 257 after carrying it daily when my 257 was over the pacific to and fro. Now I'm stuck with wanting a 256 TAN instead of the 257 :embar:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  7. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

^ Interesting observation ... I've seen both models side by side ... never would have imagined that one could cram more into a 256 over a 257.
    I have the 257 in brown and do appreciate the compartments, however.

8. letsi

letsi Senior member

Actually it's the 261 - zippered tote that has more space than the 257 and not the 256. Sorry if I didn't make it clearer earlier.
    Due to the fact that 261 has more space without the compartment sleeves, I'm able to cram more stuff into it easier and would reach out for the 261 instead of the 257 when I need more carrying capacity + the fact that without load, the 261 is already much lighter than the 257...

With that, my 257 is now stuck in the no man's land where it's not as sleek as a 256 on my frame (I'm 5'9") while not as accommodating in terms of loading as a 261... Purchasing the 261 during 257's absence rendered my 257 useless in my context... :embar:

9. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

ooops ... my bad

10. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

The trade offs, I had the Tote for a day before I got a 256 and the thing that I didn't like about the tote was lack of any organization.

to each their own, but I loved how light the tote was empty.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I fit more in a 256 than a 257 as well due to the lack of compartments.

12. Silk

Silk Active Member

I have the Original Briefcase and a Zippered Tote Bag (and a few more). Of the two, I would say the Zippered Tote Bag is more practical - you can easily cram stuff into it, even bulky objects like shoes or clothes. You can stuff the Original Briefcase but that isn't what it is really intended for. To me, the Original Briefcase is meant to be a fashion statement and used more as an office accessory where you need not carry much beyond a few pens, phone and a few pieces of papers.

So yes, a different use for each.

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I completely disagree with this. Right now in my 256 is a 15" MacBook Pro, iPad, Kindle, legal pad, Moleskin notebook, eyeglasses case, headphones, chargers, pencil case, pens, calculator and other various and as sundry items. I fail to see how that is merely a fashion statement not suitable for everyday business use

14. Silk

Silk Active Member

My point really is that the Original Briefcase is suitable for everyday business use. I agree that the Original Briefcase can hold the items you mentioned (and probably more) and make a fashion statement at the same time.

This is of course unique only to me but the Original Briefcase is not suitable for the other uses that I sometimes have in mind. I have tried squeezing in two pairs of shoes, another pair of slippers, a change of clothes, a couple of water bottles and the like. They did not fit so nicely unfortunately. In other words, the Original Briefcase isn't meant to be a gym bag (and I appreciate it has never really been represented as one anyway). And that's where I guess the Zippered Tote Bag would come into play.

To be fair, I like them both and use them both for different activities. :)

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

zipper tote 256 257 here. They are all loved equally

1 person likes this.
  16. HarrisonTran

HarrisonTran Active Member

I have a 256 very good for carrying laptop etc

I also have medium field bag for carrying everything else, got it mainly for water bottles and diapers during the weekend.

17. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I have to agree. I'm a truck driver and own a few pieces of Filson luggage and quite a bit of their clothing and I have had an original briefcase for well over 10 years. Fashion has nothing to do with it. I wore out 3 cheap briefcases in less that two years before I bought the Filson. High quality stuff saves you money in the long run. It just sucks handing out the kind of cash good stuff costs at the time of purchase. As for what I carry and have carried in it on a daily basis while working and when I'm not working?

3 pairs of glasses, stapler, calculator , three chargers, a rather large organizer, an address book, a magnifying glass, various vitamins, and other personal items, a .45 auto, and up to 4 spare mags (when I'm not out on the road), spare batteries, digital camera, 2 cell phones , bluetooth headset, pens, a couple of notebooks, receipts, gloves and everything in between from time to time.

It still shows very little wear except for the four corners on the bottom which are slightly frayed and I take it everywhere with me when working and not. Yes, it's hard to find what I want in it from time to time but I know it's all in there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I would love to see the packed-unpacked pictures of those! Sounds like some crazy compartmentalizing skill was involved. With 257 I can definitely chuck anything I need for a day at school/work. 256 on the other hand.. :embar:

19. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

There are some pics of it "mostly stuffed" earlier in this thread. They may be in the other Filson thread. When I was new to the forum I might have put them over there not knowing this thread existed. Compartmentalizing? NOT! As I said in the post, it's hard to find what I want but I know it's all in there. I've had the .45 disappear before. "I know it's in here some where............."[​IMG]

I just looked. The pics are in the "Official Filson" thread. Page 45, post#663.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  20. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Not sure if eww or awesome. Probably freaking awesome :slayer: