• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Douchey compared to what? IMO the people who would think a good briefcase or messenger is douchey for college and beyond are douches with no clue. As good as the 256 is the 257 is probably the better way to go. The Filson colors are tan and otter. Those two colors have been around forever. The new colors aren't bad but I'm so old school Filson it isn't funny. If you like tan then get the tan. Don't concern yourself with whether or not it'll work with a suit because it does. IMO a tan 257 is one of the most recognizable and iconic pieces that Filson makes. Mine has been in boardroom meetings and around campfires in a hunting camp. All I get is compliments and things like nice bag who makes it kind of stuff.

I'd second a 257. I was trying to decode between a 256 and 257 as a school bag and found that the 256 is full after a few books, laptop, and a water bottle. With the 257 I could fit all of that easily with extra room when I need to put other things. I've gone on a few trips with the 257 as well and it makes a great carry on as your "personal item" that you store under your seat.

Here's a comparison review:
http://filsonfan.com/2012/11/26/briefcase-showdown-filson-256-vs-257/

The 257 always felt too big for me since I managed to pack everything I needed in the 256

+1. I he'd and haw'd for ages over the 256/257 debate and in the end got the 257. It's slightly heavier but I figured I'd rather have the room than not. Imagine having a bag that looks cool but is practically limited because it doesn't actually fit everything you need. So far my only regret is it's damn heavy and slips off my shoulder, etc. And I ended up buying it after college, so sortof dumb on that one...

PS - thanks for the tip on eastdane, just finally pulled the trigger on a green tote (no zip) and green dopp kit / toiletry bag

After using a 257 for a few years in a business casual environment, I ended up downgrading to a 256. The 257 is nice but since I only carry a MacBook Pro and the occasional book, it was too bulky for office use. I prefer the slimmer silhouette of the 256 for office/everyday use.

Looking back, I probably could have gotten away with the 256 during college as I never really had many classes scheduled back-to-back and I always lived on or near campus. But a 257 is probably a safer bet if you're carrying multiple school books and a laptop/tablet.

@flyswatter

When I used my 257 as a personal item bag on an airplane I was able to fit 5 shirts, 5 boxers, and 5 pairs of socks as well as an 11" laptop, water bottle, a small book, and my toiletries. The bag looked stuffed but it worked.

Converge and quuz show that you really need to know what kind of things you'll be needing the bag for. There are some days when my 257 is mostly empty and would have been better suited using a 256. If I were a wealthier man I would buy a 256 as well but I don't have that luxury. What you can do is pick one that you think would handle the large majority of the things you need the bag for. In the future you can save up and buy the second bag if you would like to have both.

Thank-you all for the responses on the 256 vs. 257. Definitely some food for thought. I think the 256 is right for me and I'm looking forward to acquiring one in tan. :)

OlafG

Reaction score
I want to buy the new Large Twill Carry-on. Someone talk me out it since I already have they medium travel bag...

Schnurretiger

Reaction score

You'll be fine. I would, though, remove the shoulder strap and pack in in your bag. 

Checked in both my Large wheeled duffle and medium travel bag twice and it's fine, but yes, remove the shoulder strap. 

Thanks for the answers, yes, taking off the shoulder strap seems to be a sound thing to do... Still not 100% convinced, but will have a go at the Filsons...

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, yes, taking off the shoulder strap seems to be a sound thing to do... Still not 100% convinced, but will have a go at the Filsons...

Well, it's not like the remaining handles stick out significantly. Even so, they are made of bridle leather and will hold up quite well. If you are that concerned you can buy a luggage strap to keep everything tidy and to your liking (or even use the shoulder strap as a luggage strap).

Last edited:

Mr Pink

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice travel bag for personal trips (must be carry on) and maybe some day trips for work. I originally bought the small briefcase bag, but it was way too small. I returned it and got the rucksack thinking it'd be easier to throw around the shoulders and could carry more stuff. Is there a better bag than the rucksack for my intentions? I don't have a Filson store near me so I can only look online. I haven't touched the tags on the rucksack so I could still exchange it. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

BTW, this isn't a bag that'll be brought into a work meeting. Just a personal, casual, nice bag for general purposes.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a nice travel bag for personal trips (must be carry on) and maybe some day trips for work.  I originally bought the small briefcase bag, but it was way too small.  I returned it and got the rucksack thinking it'd be easier to throw around the shoulders and could carry more stuff.  Is there a better bag than the rucksack for my intentions?  I don't have a Filson store near me so I can only look online.  I haven't touched the tags on the rucksack so I could still exchange it.  Let me know your thoughts.  Thanks.  

BTW, this isn't a bag that'll be brought into a work meeting.  Just a personal, casual, nice bag for general purposes.

Small carry on bag.

cathpah

Reaction score
Can anyone chime in on experience trying to carryon the medium duffle on flights within the US? I know it's a couple inches larger than standard carryon regulations, but I'm wondering how often people have trouble carrying it on? I would plan on not over-stuffing the bag so in case I'm asked to put the bag in one of those little cages to test the size...I'd be able to squish it in. I'm really hoping to get a duffle (prefer the simplicity/shape over those with lots of different compartments) and the small just looks too...small.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sharpe

Reaction score
Was about to get a 257 from revolve with their 30 percent first order deal and free shipping to aus. However I noticed they don't have he colour I want - brown. Is there anywhere with comparable price including shipping to Australia that would have the 257 in brown? Works out to about 200 shipped to Melbourne....

jeannoob

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the Filson nylon shoulder strap somewhere? Or if there are any similar alternatives?

After using the 256 daily, the bridle leather shoulder strap is simply too uncomfortable for my shoulders.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
My daily carry briefcase is a 6-7 yr old 256 with the current padded shoulder pad. I also have a 15 yr old 257 that has the single layer shoulder pad. I find the older, unpadded version to be much more comfortable than the new style. I tend to switch shoulder straps to the old style, thin pad on what ever bag I'm carrying. I also use a year old medium travel bag for short trips if I'm not flying. I've never noticed any variation in leather thickness on any of my bags. However, after a quick inspection at a local Filson dealer, I found several new bags on the shelf with mis-matched handles and straps. I don't think it would affect functionality but it was quite noticeable.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea about whether a 257 in navy is possible/happening? Figured it'd show up at some point with the 256 and 258 in the line of navy bags, but... still waiting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads