Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Santi Se

Santi Se Member

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thank-you all for the responses on the 256 vs. 257. Definitely some food for thought. I think the 256 is right for me and I'm looking forward to acquiring one in tan. :)

3. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

I want to buy the new Large Twill Carry-on. Someone talk me out it since I already have they medium travel bag...

4. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

Thanks for the answers, yes, taking off the shoulder strap seems to be a sound thing to do... Still not 100% convinced, but will have a go at the Filsons...

5. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Well, it's not like the remaining handles stick out significantly. Even so, they are made of bridle leather and will hold up quite well. If you are that concerned you can buy a luggage strap to keep everything tidy and to your liking (or even use the shoulder strap as a luggage strap).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

I'm looking for a nice travel bag for personal trips (must be carry on) and maybe some day trips for work. I originally bought the small briefcase bag, but it was way too small. I returned it and got the rucksack thinking it'd be easier to throw around the shoulders and could carry more stuff. Is there a better bag than the rucksack for my intentions? I don't have a Filson store near me so I can only look online. I haven't touched the tags on the rucksack so I could still exchange it. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

BTW, this isn't a bag that'll be brought into a work meeting. Just a personal, casual, nice bag for general purposes.

7. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

The 257 or the small duffle perhaps?

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Small carry on bag.

9. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Can anyone chime in on experience trying to carryon the medium duffle on flights within the US? I know it's a couple inches larger than standard carryon regulations, but I'm wondering how often people have trouble carrying it on? I would plan on not over-stuffing the bag so in case I'm asked to put the bag in one of those little cages to test the size...I'd be able to squish it in. I'm really hoping to get a duffle (prefer the simplicity/shape over those with lots of different compartments) and the small just looks too...small.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

10. Sharpe

Sharpe Well-Known Member

Was about to get a 257 from revolve with their 30 percent first order deal and free shipping to aus. However I noticed they don't have he colour I want - brown. Is there anywhere with comparable price including shipping to Australia that would have the 257 in brown? Works out to about 200 shipped to Melbourne....

11. jeannoob

jeannoob Senior member

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the Filson nylon shoulder strap somewhere? Or if there are any similar alternatives?

After using the 256 daily, the bridle leather shoulder strap is simply too uncomfortable for my shoulders.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Quote:My daily carry briefcase is a 6-7 yr old 256 with the current padded shoulder pad. I also have a 15 yr old 257 that has the single layer shoulder pad. I find the older, unpadded version to be much more comfortable than the new style. I tend to switch shoulder straps to the old style, thin pad on what ever bag I'm carrying. I also use a year old medium travel bag for short trips if I'm not flying. I've never noticed any variation in leather thickness on any of my bags. However, after a quick inspection at a local Filson dealer, I found several new bags on the shelf with mis-matched handles and straps. I don't think it would affect functionality but it was quite noticeable.

13. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

is any site selling the 256 on a decent discount these days?

14. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Does anyone have any idea about whether a 257 in navy is possible/happening? Figured it'd show up at some point with the 256 and 258 in the line of navy bags, but... still waiting.

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I've been so out of the loop with this thread.